Forums Latest Members

What do you do with the (non-resellable) watches you maybe shouldn’t have bought?

1. sturosen Jan 20, 2019

I’ve built up a large collection over very little time and, as you’d imagine, got a little smarter as I went along. I have a few early purchases that are perfectly fine, and I understand why I bought them, but I also know they won’t get much wrist time. And since some of these are not the big brands, I can’t figure on anyone wanting to pay much for them.

I clearly don’t mind spending money on watches but I hate that some of them will lie around unused.

What do you do with such watches? My adult kids have no interest in them, my wife has stolen some of these (which she loves) from me, but there are still 3-5 I shouldn’t have bought. Other than send them to you, what do you do? Just enjoy them when you choose to? Sell them at a loss? Stop worrying?

amiriqbal likes this.
  2. corn18 Jan 20, 2019

I donated them to Goodwill. Hopefully someone got them for $1 and will wear them.

Larry S, MMMD, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  3. Donn Chambers Jan 20, 2019

I’ve sold every watch I bought then ended up not liking. Never for want I paid of course, but for enough to make it worth the hassle.

There were two exceptions where I made a profit. One was a limited edition Steinhart that everyone loved more than I did. The other was a quartz Tissot chronograph I sold twice because the buyer in England refused to pay customs on it, then never responded to my emails and phone calls.

sturosen likes this.
  4. djmusicman Jan 20, 2019

Give them up if they are making you unhappy, absolutely no point in holding on to them. Put them on ebay, there's a buyer for just about anything.

5. Jonathan40 Jan 20, 2019

Yours is a well trodden path. Sell the pieces you admit you won’t weqr again, add the cash up and put it towards your next researched piece.

amiriqbal, bardamu and sturosen like this.
  6. MrJKLFoams Jan 20, 2019

One man’s trash is other man’s treasure

Ninja2789, BrianMcKay and kov like this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 20, 2019

eBay @ $.99.

8. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 20, 2019

Echo @X350 XJR's comment, as well as any of the following:

*Craigslist/GumTree/Free Online Trading Boards
    *Garage Sales/Collectable Markets
    *Facebook Marketplace
    *Dismantle them and service/play/make jewellery out of the movements
    *Pass them to your children

9. sturosen Jan 20, 2019

Thanks - glad to know I’m not the only one who’s been confronted with their own misguided enthusiasm!

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 20, 2019

Yeah I’ll do that with my ST2...

11. bardamu Jan 21, 2019

Absolutely not! Pretty much the same collecting experience here. I sold every watch I bought but ended up not wearing at all. I lost some money, of course, but I gained some knowledge as well.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 21, 2019

Next well mannered young fellow you see, you know like the nice kid at the supermarket, car wash, mail room. Someone that would treasure it.
    Give it to them.

Gave a watch to @JimInOz and look at him go now. Off the latte,s and Vespa,s and riding a real bike now
    ( might have been for servicing a Seiko for free but who cares )

Alpha, Lonestar, MMMD and 6 others like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 21, 2019

Yeah, thanks a bloody lot mate, you got me off my lovely little Vespa, and look what I'm riding now!

<Aussies will understand the sarcasm>

I had to buy TWO bikes to cover the functionality of the Vespa! (at least that's what I told HWMBO).

ATR_26JUL18.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

Noisy Nova, Alpha, vbrad26 and 4 others like this.
  14. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 21, 2019

Do "non-resellable" watches really exist ? :eek:

Lucasssssss and BrianMcKay like this.
  15. bardamu Jan 21, 2019

"Non-resellable-at-price-I overpaid them" exist for sure :)

16. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 21, 2019

Everything is subject to the noob tax ;) but doesn't mean it won't resell :)

Lucasssssss and BrianMcKay like this.
  17. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 21, 2019

Listing them on eBay even if you’re getting only pennies on the dollar gives you some cash toward your next purchase with the added bonus of getting them off your mind.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  18. valkyrie_rider Jan 21, 2019

@JimInOz I know the pain (got 3 motorcycles and trying to convince my wife that I should buy a 4th...).

On the other hand, I can buy a new watch and always use the excuse of ' _ At least is cheaper than a new motorcycle!' and ' _ Plus it takes less space!'.
    :-D

JimInOz likes this.
  19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 21, 2019

My Seiko SKX175 is going to work tomorrow to be given away... makes room in the box for more important things and gets rid of something not worth the hassle of selling

Everybody ends up happy

20. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 21, 2019