Forums Latest Members

What do you consider to be a "good leather strap"?

1. ClarendonVintage Aug 11, 2017

Probably not the first to ask but, title says it all.

What differentiates a $400 strap from $6.50 strap on eBay/etsy? Assuming that indeed they are real leather, do you feel that there is a huge difference, from say a well made leather strap than a low grade, bonded leather made from scraps? Does it really matter as a watch strap which isn't subject to harsh wear and tear, since it is not quite the same as a pair of leather boots you take to hike mountains?

mikechi22 and Gasman like this.
  2. Gasman Aug 11, 2017

I have been wondering the same thing for a while now. Don't want to spend a fortune for no benefit.

3. abrod520 Aug 11, 2017

In a word, quality - nicer materials, better craftsmanship, better service for custom orders. The difference is truly tangible. Not that you have to spend $400 though; there are many great strapmakers out there who'll put together a custom strap for you for around US $100

4. Euxinus Aug 11, 2017

I have to agree with @abrod520, when comparing my $10, $25 and $100 dollar straps it's night and day between the $100 strap and the other two price points. The quality of leather is much nicer and it's a pleasure to wear. Also I find some of the cheaper straps have unpleasant smells. I have never touched a $400 dollar strap, and I don't think I would every pay that much for one. @jankoxxx makes and sells great straps for $100 or less and the quality is superb and I am always satisfied.

Here is my speedy on a blue shell cordovon strap made by @jankoxxx. IMG_4134.JPG IMG_4135.JPG

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 11, 2017

I've got a hard time paying over $120 for a custom basic leather strap. I'd pay more for a custom padded leather lined croc... but even then that should be under $300.

Leather choice is a difference, the good strap makers know what weight leather to put on a watch, cheap ones often have to heavy or to light a leather. Plus the different leathers and how they wear.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  6. axl911 Aug 11, 2017

Straps could be broken down to several price categories I think....

The $19 strap I bought on e-bay looked nice but is hard as a rock. Hated wearing it since it was sooo hard and would have taken weeks to break in.

The $70 Hirsch strap I bought is very nice and soft. But it came in only 1 or 2 length and I had to punch an extra hole for my skinny girly wrist.

The $150 Vintager strap I bought from a custom Vintager is very nice. I was able to select from many leathers types and colors. I was also able to select my own length which fit me. And also specify what type and color of stitching done. The leather I got was unbelievably soft and pliable.

Have no idea about the $400 straps, but I suspect they are hand worked and broken in on the tights of young blonde female virgins.

Starman71, Tony C., George.A and 5 others like this.
  7. dinexus Aug 11, 2017

I've done all the leather straps from the lower-end $30 ones from Crown & Buckle to the mid-tier 'performance' type leather hybrid straps from Hirsch, to more higher-end custom (currently waiting on a Jean Russeau), but I'd say the best experience I've had yet, that yielded the highest quality leather (biggest 'wow factor') has been with Bas & Lokes out of Australia. Turnaround is 2 - 3 weeks, people are super friendly, and they have a great selection of leather to choose from.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  8. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Aug 11, 2017

FWIW, I'm currently loving my leather zulu straps by zuludiver /watchgecko. $25-28 shipped per, awesome horween, crazy horse or Italian leathers, great finishing, very comfortable, look great on my vintage tool watches.

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 11, 2017

Bit like difference between Invicta and Omega

Have several custom SNPR straps that are in the $300+ and :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Would pay more.

Just check their website out.

10. TexOmega Aug 11, 2017

I have it on the down-low they are truly brunette virgins and well worth the price.;)

As for price to quality ratio.....google corrected grain vs full grain leather to understand why some are stiff and crack to pieces at the buckle and why some are soft and supple.

Also, a tip....use the same leather moisturizer you use on your dress shoes especially where the buckle snugs into the holes. Now, some leather conditioners will darken leather, others not, I've found the Allen-Edmonds product to never darken my leather.

Edited Aug 11, 2017
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 11, 2017

All I can say is that the quality difference is very obvious between a cheap and a premium strap. I can honestly say that the $300 Hirsch matte blue gator I bought for my 38mm tri-compax eclipses even the custom straps I've had made. You get what you pay for.

STANDY likes this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 11, 2017

Euxinus; Your Speedmaster on that hue of blue strap is really attractive. I'd have never imagination enough to think of blue with a Speedy.

Euxinus likes this.
  13. mollydooker Aug 11, 2017

The difference between a quality leather strap and a cheaply is immense.
    Quality does not have to be expensive it's just a case of finding a good maker.
    Consider the process. Talking only cow hide.Firstly what leather is used. Is it calf ,Is It cow . You can tell by feel .How many times has the hide been split. ie.hide can be peeled into many layers. The thinner the layer the more likely it will tear and damage . Especially with sweat . Some you can tear by hand.
    Has the hide selected been checked for lack of scratches etc. so that in the tanning process the colour will be constant.For example the best hides for Rolls Royce come from countries that don't use wire fences to keep the cattle in. In the case of watchband makers they would only select unmarked leather unless a distressed look was wanted. Natural grain should show not stamped lizard etc.
    Quality bands would go through a quality tanning process whereas cheapys would be given a quick dip and probably painted on.
    On a lot of quality bands the underside is specially softened so as not to irritate the skin. Look at the edges ,are they even and parallel.
    Feel the quality . A lot of cheap bands use a filler between two strips and are held together by glue. The stitching is for show. These days stuff out of China in not even real leather. Talking about stitching check the quality and if the thread ends showing. Look at the final finishing.
    Look at the quality of the buckle and how it is attached to the band . Springbar or just glued Are the ends properly looped and strong for inserting the springbars.
    Cheapys are just glued with stitching for show.
    Getting a bit carried away here .

Edward53, George.A, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  14. ClarendonVintage Aug 12, 2017

Enjoyable read, thanks for the reply.

I should clarify to replies above, i personally have not come across a $400 strap; what i meant to say, is a high grade strap that is probably produced by the watch company itself, e.g. a JLC alligator strap or something that is expensive also because of the brand being slapped onto it. But yes you get the point...

mollydooker likes this.
  15. Alex_TA Aug 12, 2017

Good example.
    JLC does not produce straps. It uses Camille Fournet's straps.
    So if you want to buy gator strap straight from JLC web site the price will be €400. The same strap from CF will put you back €250.
    $400 price is for custom hand-made strap from exotic hide, produced by one of the world's best companies like ABP.

George.A and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  16. ClarendonVintage Aug 12, 2017

Thanks for the info
    Do you happen to know where Cartier and Chopard source their straps from? From some anecdotal experiences, I've heard that the leather straps on Tank Solo models were a little flimsy. I have also personally tried on a couple of Chopard LUCs and i find the black straps to be rather thin and inflexible...just out of curiosity

17. Alex_TA Aug 12, 2017

Sorry this I don't know.

18. watchestelltime Aug 12, 2017

I have to agree with the vast majority of options here, I spend around 200 on straps (each) and the difference is huge. I tried couple of times cheaper options but if you have an expensive timepiece then a better strap will go a long way

19. sdre Aug 13, 2017

I was considering bulang and sons but 100euros fees just so expensive for me. The most expensive I paid for so far is a grey colareb strap which I think it'd cool but I'm still looking for a nice brown strap for my tudor black bay black and speedmaster

20. TropicConnie Nov 8, 2017

I consider silicone (alligator grain, of course) to be a good leather strap. They take care of themselves and they're the price of a cup of coffee. I used to use leather conditioner on my only alligator strap every 6 months or so. With silicone, nothing like that is necessary. Just an occasional wipe-over with a cloth (they do tend to attract dust).