Forums Latest Members

What Do You Clean Your Watches With?

1. Matt-C Feb 21, 2013

I've been cleaning my watch with a very small amount of hand soap, (the pump stuff) and a soft toothbrush, but what do you use?

It states in the Omega owners manual to use 'soap' but doesn't specify what.

It also says not to use 'detergents'.

I've read a few threads on various forums that say use 'dish-washing liquid' but surely that's got to be too harsh and be classed as a true detergent. Also most hand soaps these days tend to contain various oils, Aloe Vera etc etc.

So just what is best to keep things 'tip top' without potentially causing damage to seals etc.

Cheers
    Matt

2. ulackfocus Feb 21, 2013

I usually lick mine. Probably because I'm constantly spilling food on them. Pretty sure Steve / N2FHL had to clean spinach artichoke dip out of my Breitling's pushers when he serviced it. :p

A Selvyt cloth or one of those airplane windshield cleaning cloths work great without any soap, but if you're really gunky warm water and a touch of dish detergent does the trick.

3. Matt-C Feb 21, 2013

:p Hmmm nice. Good idea, licking it is :thumbsup:

4. nsmike Feb 22, 2013

I use alcohol based windshield cleaner sprayed on a soft cloth. for stubborn spots I dip a cotton swab and scrub. If that doesn't work I'll chew on the end of a round wooden toothpick until it forms kind of a brush. I first try it with the alcohol based cleaner then a bit of Flitz polish. Don't use the windshield cleaner with an AR coated crystal any work near the crystal use lens cleaner. Bracelets are cleaned with dish soap and a toothbrush.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2013

I use an ultrasonic bath with Mr. Clean and water, but of course that's only for disassembled watch cases/bracelets. I don't think dish soap would be a huge issue if the watch is known to be water resistant (ie has been tested and passed). I would use a soft toothrush for cleaning with a little dish sopa, rinsed well after (soap residue left behind will attract more dirt).

Cheers, Al

6. porschefan Feb 23, 2013

7. Steve Feb 23, 2013

If i'm doing the dishes I just finish off with a quick wash of my watch with a soft sponge before I pull the plug.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2013

I clean mine with watchmakers :)

9. Nick F 05 Feb 25, 2013

I use Veraet based on Porschefan's recommendation. Quick and easy to use