Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 6, 2018

Saw this advert yesterday somewhere local where a lot of over-priced garbage is peddled (but where sometimes one can find something interesting), and was very curious because of the (difference in) pictures. I just had to contact the seller (who also just happens to be an 'honorable' member here).

Here is the advert...
    (Translated)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, if you think this watch is worth much less than the price I ask, it's as you want, but save yourself (me) a waste of time, thank you .... And also to avoid wasting time, I recommend the book of John Wallis very complete on ploprof. I want to take into account a reasonable offer and I will answer questions by email. If you do not have an answer it is because your offer does not interest me. I bought this ploprof Auctionata Auction in Germany a few years ago, because of its very rare 1st generation dial. Needles "fat tritium" are also very rare. Original bracelet too. I sell it with the archive extract provided during the sale. I only sell it because it has not left the chest since it was purchased. No sending, sale by hand, no paypal, no sending to the cousin, no ridiculous offer, do not waste time, thank you If you do not receive an answer from me, may be check if the messages coming from _____ are not in your SPAM folder ...

download (1).jpg download (2).jpg download.jpg

The first thing that jumped to me is, it appears the hands in the extract pic are not the hands in the first pic.

Here is the dialog...

Me : Hello there. I am interested in your ploprof. Do you have more pictures please? In the one picture the hands look new, in the other they look old. How does it come? Thank you for your time...

'Honorable' Member : hi, hands are a rare version with a large tritium area, they are not new but origina, check John Wallis book:
    20180606_075948.jpg
    an other picture:
    Capture.JPG

(I then proceeded to chat with another member of this dear forum who knows a lot more than me about ploprofs. His take was the following, and I tend to agree :

Polished to death (Bezel overlaps the case), hands are nothing special and replaced, red button is service replacement...bezel looks like a different bezel between the pictures.

I then responded...)

Me :

Thanks.

Hands : nothing special about them, definitely not original, definitely not rare (every vintage ploprof I have seen have them).
    Case : looks polished to death, judging by the size of the bezel in relation.
    Button : also looks service replacement.

I will pass on this one. GLWS.

'Honorable' Member :

you're the BOSS ha ha ha

Me :

seriously? and you sound like a trustworthy and 'honorable' person worthy of handing money to. thank you for confirming my decision.

Thoughts?

Edited Jun 6, 2018
    Vintagewtchzilla likes this.
  2. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 6, 2018

which of those watches is he selling now ?

first of all its a mk3 and not a mk1
    on first pic you see a bezel with a serif one which is wrong for the dial and delivery date
    last pic correct bezel with staight 1 , but looks a different shape of facettes especially at 6 o'clock but this can be related to the angle
    as he is a member here why doesn't he show the obvious pics sides back aso ....
    hands are at least relumed

for my taste a bit too uch open questions

3. Dash1 Jun 6, 2018

Hands look the same to me. Also not convinced it’s been polished to death, need more photos from the side really. I think it’s now known that that dial is not an early type but a later one. Very good to have an extract with these as so many movement swapped out.
    More info here: https://www.omegaploprof.com/#watch
    Maybe too many questions still? Needs more investigation.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 6, 2018

I should have spotted the bezel quicker. That said I still think the hands lume in the ‘extract’ pic look different to the rest (comparing the color of the lume in hands to that of the dial...seems to match better)...but perhaps it’s a trick of the light (sunlight vs studio).

Don’t know what’s worse, the attitude of this person or the fact that the bezel miraculously morphed in storage (a la divine conception style)...