Forums Latest Members

What do we think of this 16600?

1. Spesh Mar 24, 2018

I've been offered this watch at a reasonable price, but would like the wisdom of those more in the know, if you would be so kind.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jaguar11 Mar 24, 2018

What is it that you want to know?

mr_yossarian likes this.
  3. Spesh Mar 24, 2018

A couple of things really. It is a 2002 model (K series) And I was wanting to make sure it all looked correct.

I'm no expert But have been after an unpolished model, which this appears to be. The chamferred edges certainly appear to be in good condition?

Thanks for your time.

4. mr_yossarian Mar 24, 2018

very unspecific request.

5. Spesh Mar 24, 2018

I apologise, I have added some more info.

mr_yossarian likes this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 24, 2018

To me it looks very good. If it has been polished is for cleanup and it has been done with a soft hand rather than to work out deeper damage. I say that only because on the pics the watch is devoid of any scratches which would seem hard to find on a watch with over 15 years of life.

Good watch and definally a better sea dweller IMO than the modern edition.

7. Spesh Mar 24, 2018

Thanks for ther response. The seller claims that is has come from a large collection and only worn a handful of times. He even stated that the rear sticker was not fully worn, but he removed it for cleaning purposes. I suppose this would explain the condition.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 24, 2018

It would, but that’s a typical seller pitch. Not saying it’s not true, just saying that it sounds like a scripted narrative.

The one other thing to add is, if the seller took out the sticker to clean it he is an idiot ( sorry to be blunt) as any buyer would appreciate original stickers over a cleanup job.

Ask him if, as part of the clenjuo he polished it ever so slightly... or rather how he cleaned it that required removal of stickers.

Please note none of this is, per se, a sign of fault or wrong doing, but it’s worth looking into. I for one after hearing the exlplanation would be even more interested on high definition pictures all around. Including the bracelet clasp..... if you don’t see any sign of wear it’s either really a safe queen or someone has polished it just a tad.

How well do you know the seller by the way? If he has your confidence then it would be ok.

Edited Mar 24, 2018
    Flotho likes this.
  9. Spesh Mar 24, 2018

He's a very we respected collector here in the UK, but I'm not going to part with any money until I am completely convinced. My brother has a "Swiss" dialed dweller that has never been polished so I do have some idea of what I'm looking for.

I have trawled through about 20 different watches (some of which were so polished that they resembled datejusts). This is the crispest I have seen.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 24, 2018

Well then there you are! You have Confidence on the seller and are familiar with what you’re looking for. Enjoy your new watch!!!

11. rb10chris Mar 24, 2018

Sounds like you don't need a second opinion! go for it

12. jaguar11 Mar 24, 2018

The value is of course relative to the price being asked and as you say you have a comparative example to hand. Good luck.

13. onthedial Mar 27, 2018

@Spesh
    This is a very fine example, with or without a case sticker. In addition the watch is being offered to you as a full set (I'm rarely interested in buying circa era 2000 Rolex watches that don't come with their original box and papers). If the price is compelling I see no reason to hesitate purchasing this Ref. 16600.

14. #nb Mar 27, 2018

I really like it, complete set and in great condition giving its age! If the price is reasonable; I would definitely pull the trigger on that!

15. 77deluxe Mar 27, 2018

+1 Like.

16. Jfullm42 Mar 27, 2018

Looks good to me! I have a full set unpolished K serial 16600 and it's my go to. I wouldn't pass it up