Forums Latest Members

What Do The Zenith Mavins Think Of These...

1. Interstatetime May 3, 2013

I have a chance to buy one of these '90s Chronomaster Triple Date Moon Phase watches in nice condition at what seems like a very reasonable price. Are these decent watches. I sort of like the between dressy and sporty look. The one I am looking at has a black dial.

JohnCote

[​IMG]

2. John Chris Il Duca de Luca May 3, 2013

I have the model you have pictured, and I'm very fond of it. It is very classy, with a step-sided case, and silver roman numerals, hands and sub-dial rings that reflect the light very nicely. I think the black-dial version looks very cool but I've never seen one in person. This Chronomaster was one of the last great watches designed and produced by Zenith before being acquired by LVMH. Try to get an earlier model with the chronometer number inscribed on the rotor (it has a display back).

3. Interstatetime May 3, 2013

The one I am looking at does indeed have the number inscribed on the Rotor. Thanks for your help John.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 3, 2013

I am not an Zenith expert, but if someone offer me one with decent price, I'll just jump and take it.
    What a beauty......... could you put picture of caseback to see the number in rotor you guys talking about?

5. Interstatetime May 4, 2013

I don't have the watch yet but If/When I buy it in a couple of weeks I will put up a pic.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 4, 2013

Fully agree. The Chronomaster in general is a great watch and was Zenith's iconic product in its time. I prefer those with a little more guillochage on the dial, but I like 'em all.

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 4, 2013

Great watch. This is the first watch that got me interested in Zenith. I tried on a black-dialed one from a local jeweler's "estate" collection a few years back but couldn't spare the cash at the time. There's something about the case design that I don't exactly love, but I dig everything else, particularly the astounding value you get when you consider the quality and complication of that movement... and the same could be said of the Chronomaster ancestor in your possession, the Astronic. :)

8. Interstatetime May 7, 2013

Thanks Lou and everybody for your kind answers...and sorry for my late thanks. I just got back from shooting the IndyCar race in Sao Paulo and I had limited internet connections. I should find out whether I can buy this more modern Luna/Astronic whatever in a week or so. I need the headache of 3 of these complicated little beasts like I need a hole in the head but what the heck.

Here is what the action in Sao Paulo looked like from my vantage point... I lost the bezel insert from an old Heuer while down there.

[​IMG]

JohnCote

9. ulackfocus May 7, 2013

John, this is exactly why they make Seikos. ;) Best beaters for the money on the planet.

Interstatetime likes this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 7, 2013

John,

I read your post on the forum. Bezel down an airplane toilet? ::facepalm1:: There truly is no way to get that back. My condolences :( That would have soured me for the whole trip.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 7, 2013

I don't know, the flight route should be pretty straight. :D

12. Interstatetime May 7, 2013

I didn't want to wear a great watch down to Brazil for a couple of reasons. First because watches don't get treated well on the wrists of photographers carrying tons of gear around race courses, shooting through holes in chain link fences and steadying yourself on concrete. Second because Sao Paulo is known for its watch thieves. I almost wore a Seiko Diver Auto but it is not comfortable on my wrist. I wore the Heuer Quartz Pilot as I have done to quite a few races and broke it not at the track but....

The time spent and the race in Brazil was really great. I love the place and the race and would/will do it again as often as I am able and invited. Gotta get the bad stuff out of your head as soon as you can.

JC

13. ulackfocus May 7, 2013

That's the only word I needed to read to justify your decision.

14. Interstatetime May 7, 2013

Look...I own a facebook page called "Real Watches Have Springs" but you can't discount the Heuer Quartz Pilot so easily. It still makes me throw-up in my mouth a little to think about wearing a quartz watch but the pilot is my only exception. Here is the Auto version of the Pilot with a silver face followed by the quartz version in black....with flushed bezel. They are both badass watches in my book. They may be the last watches with Heuer only on the dials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]