Forums Latest Members

What do the Speedmaster Gods have to say about this one from Peru?

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 11, 2014

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 11, 2014

2 feedback seller from Peru. Both buying about internet marketing.
    Could be a potential very good deal, or just possible scam.

3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 11, 2014

i`d say more likely a scam...... take care. kind regards. achim

4. dantaspaulo Feb 11, 2014

I've just been screwed by a Peruvian seller. Peru is definitely off my watch-safe places.

5. richardew Feb 11, 2014

No risk, no reward. I bought this from a seller in the middle east. Nobody bid on it the first time it was listed.
    10.8.12 _39ck2998 day1.jpg
    You can pay via PayPal and there is a 14 day return period, FWIW. The watch looks O'K. I'm guessing that it's a 145.012. The back is not 2 step so it's later than a 105.012-65. The case doesn't have the vertical facets characteristic of a 105.012-66. The pictures aren't very good. The case looks O'k and should clean up a bit. It has a decent DON bezel. It's hard to tell much about the dial from the photos. The hands are correct. The movement looks good. The crown is not original. What I just love about the listing is the English. stetic=aesthetic brazelet=bracelet
    If I bought this one I would be sure to document it's arrival and what's inside the package when it arrives. It's a bit risky but hey, it's only money.

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 11, 2014

I'm as desperate as any Speedy collector to find a decent example at an inflated price. This seller scares me in so many ways, it's not even on my watch-list to see how bad someone gets screwed.

And this watch is from Peru? The two feedback items are both from different areas (Italy/Sri Lanka)? Three areas I would not shop from.

The description of the item...I'm just gonna stop here and say NOOOOO!

7. ron n Feb 11, 2014

Peruvian pan bands, protecting us all with their fantastic music.

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 11, 2014

Seems it's been removed (not ended). Wonder what happened?

9. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 11, 2014

An item being removed indicates action taken by eBAY. Must have done something against the rules.

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 11, 2014

Just like ron n said! Peruvian pan band has protected us again!

ron n likes this.
  11. rolexfantastic Feb 11, 2014

I'm sure it was a scam. A most likely Pablo Marigo, Pablo Maringo Perez, Facundo Pan (and many other names) scam...
    I'm sure members here were approached too.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 11, 2014

Ask for a photo from the seller that shows possession of the watch (taken with a dated newspaper etc). And if seller complies then it might be worth the risk.

13. rolexfantastic Feb 11, 2014

Don't fall for that. I already received such pictures. Still a scam.

14. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Aug 1, 2014

There seems to be many collectible vintage watches being posted on eBay out of Peru by sellers with little or no feedback. Has anyone actually gone through a successful Peruvian transaction and gotten the goods as advertised? If this is a scam, I'm not sure how it works to the scammer's benefit.

A while back I had responded to a vintage Speedmaster auction posted by a Peruvian seller with no feedback, asking for more detailed pics. The seller quickly engaged me in an email conversation outside of eBay, telling me that he was unable to send me the pics I'd requested within eBay's messaging system, and was able to provide the pics I'd asked for as well as proof that he has the watch in his possession including a picture of an Extract from the Archives for the watch. When it came time to post payment via Paypal, I had him agree to a timeframe in which he would ship the watch and send me the tracking #. Seller was quite responsive until the deadline came and went, at which time, he went silent and reposted the watch on eBay. I initiated a claim with Paypal and ended getting a full refund in a couple of weeks.

15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 1, 2014

The only thing I would trust that came from Peru is Paddington Bear.:p

16. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 1, 2014

I think to get the Gods to respond you have to burn some smelling salts and have a "virgin" with a white garb dance around before telling you the answer to your question (watch the movie "300")

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 1, 2014

Or at least a photo....