Forums Latest Members
  1. Marcus Mar 15, 2012

Hi
    I am new to this forum and indeed to Omega watches in general. I recently acquired a watch and I would like to try and find out some information about it. I’ve attached a couple of pictures below and I apologise in advance for the fact that some of the marks are unreadable. I will be taking some more pictures soon.

The things I do know are:
    The movement number is 134 xxx which I believe dates it to around 1950/52.
    The case is marked with a Swiss MCC mark stating that it is 18kt Gold and it is a rose/pink colour.

As I said I am very new to the Omega world and so any general information relating to this watch would be of use to me. I don’t even know what model it is. What I do know is that it is very nice.

Many thanks for your help.

Marcus

Omega 01.JPG Omega 02.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Mar 15, 2012

Hi Marcus, welcome to Omega Forums. You have what looks like a reference 2714 "Trésor" with either a caliber 342 or 344 bumper automatic. It's probably a 342, but the watch is right on the time (late 1952) when Omega switched from the 342 to the 344 as far as I know. You should be able to see which one it is on the movement - I can't see it in the picture. It appears to have a refinished dial, but it is a nice job. Many watches from this era end up with repainted dials because they didn't hold up well. Bumpers are quirky but have a charm that a sub-sect of vintage collectors really like. Overall, not a bad entry into Omega.

3. Marcus Mar 15, 2012

Many thanks for identifying my watch. I'll do some more investigation now I know what model it is for general interest purposes. I'd like to pick up on your statement "Bumpers are quirky." What exactly is a bumper?

4. apropos Mar 15, 2012

A bumper is a an automatic movement in which the arc of the rotor is restricted by springs - so instead of freely swinging around 360d, the rotor 'bumps' into the springs, which can be felt on the wrist. Hence 'bumper' movement.

5. Marcus Mar 15, 2012

That seems logical I guess ...

6. Marcus Mar 16, 2012

Following on from the information received above I've looked on the OMEGA website at the Tresor 2714 and the dial of the watch doesn't look the same as mine.

The reference number from the case back is 11195370. I believe (I may be wrong) that 111 means that it's a 'Mens Watch / Manual winding without second / Non water resistant' The obvious conclusion is that the dial is not the original as has already been stated, but could there be another expanation? Is my assumption about the 111 coding correct?
    Also I've looked through all the Tresor watches of that period on the OMEGA website and not one seems to have the same dial as mine, numbers at every position. I'm happy to accept that it's a replacement dial, if that is indeed the only explanation. I just want to be sure that there are no other options.

7. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2012

The 11195370 on the caseback isn't the reference number. Your watch was made a decade before Omega switched to that coding. That number is the case serial number.

It's a refinished or replaced dial. Refinished is more likely. The metal disk is probably the same one that came on the watch from Bienne, just stripped of it's original paint (probably because it was in poor condition) and redone.

8. Ivan1998 Mar 16, 2012

This is what I always wanted to know this watch don't have any springs are they made that way? I've see alot on the bay with out the spring I pass on them because of this reason.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 16, 2012

The springs are there. They are hidden underneath the top bridge.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. Ivan1998 Mar 16, 2012

Thanks I should had ask a long time ago newbie to the vintage world. I got these mix with the ones that shows the springs.