Forums Latest Members
  1. timjohn Jan 4, 2016

I was looking at my wishlist this morning, and I had a good 2015 -- I got the Bundeswehr I'd been looking for for ages, a nice 30T2rg, a modern Grand Seiko for travelling -- but I noticed that there were two watches, a pre-moon Speedy and a Rolex 5513, which have been top five wants for at least two years and yet I've never pulled the trigger. I still want them, but even when a good one comes up at a good price, I can't seem to take the leap. Does anyone else have the same problem: the watch you really want but never buy?

Caught:
    Heuer Bundeswehr crop small.jpeg Omega 30T2rg crop small.JPG Grand Seiko 1 small.JPG

The ones that didn't bite:
    Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 11.30.21.png
    (Photo credit to @Spacefruit and www.speedmaster101.com)
    Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 11.29.36.png
    (Photo credit to HQ Milton)

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 4, 2016

Breitling 806.. though I think I like the idea of the watch more than the watch itself...

Breitling 806.jpg
    Photo credit: The Internet

timjohn likes this.
  3. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 4, 2016

i backed out of a deal b/c i got the strong feeling that the watch was stolen (run of the mill THeuer)

timjohn likes this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 4, 2016

I have been looking for the steel bracelet, saw one come up on ebay at a very nice price, but was traveling, so figured I would make an offer in 24-48 hours. When I finally got around to making an offer it was sold. I knew I should have made an offer immediately. I really do like the FF, but I would really LOVE the FF on a bracelet. :) I have since stored the FF, in hopes that I can find a bracelet so I can start wearing it again.

upload_2016-1-4_18-46-2.png

timjohn and JohnSteed like this.
  5. JohnSteed Jan 4, 2016

Will be more of that :whistling: in 2016

Taddyangle and timjohn like this.
  6. ulackfocus Jan 4, 2016

I can honestly say I never missed a watch I had on my Top 5 Most Wanted list. I let the list dwindle away a couple years ago as I realized I could also honestly say "been there, flipped that" about most of the watch itches I wanted desperately to scratch......

...... except one:

breguet_image.639636.jpg

It's a 5197BB and it's getting close to the time I'd expect some to start showing up on the pre-owned market. I've had this watch on my wrist at the Breguet Boutique in Manhattan, and it haunts me to this day. Perferctly executed - @LouS once described it something like "the perfect combination of class and whimsy" - and sized as if it were made for me alone. Love the fact that it's design is an homage to one of their pocket watches from nearly 2 centuries ago.

Other that that, I've had just about everything on my wrist at one time or another, whether it be owned or temporary due to a short term swap. Really dig those 37 mm Patek Calatrava style cases, like the one on their 5110J World Timer too.

JohnSteed and oddboy like this.
  7. Rman Jan 4, 2016

I got most of what I wanted this year and am very grateful to be able to do so.
    What I keep dodging is this:
    Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 7.38.32 PM.png
    I spend much more on other pieces than what this would cost me, but I'm afraid of breaking my rules. 40's, 50's, 60's.
    Things seem more interesting when there are limitations, non?
    If you guys say it's OK I'll reconsider:)

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jan 4, 2016

Tell you what - you buy me the Breguet, I'll buy you the Stowa. I'll even throw in a nice Orbita single head winder. :D

9. timjohn Jan 4, 2016

I was working in East Timor during the vote in 1999 -- was supposed to stay two weeks and ended up there for nine months. When I got back to Singapore, after a bit of wrangling, they gave me a bonus and four weeks holiday. I went out on the first day of the break and had a loooong lunch and woke up the next morning with a monstrous hangover and this. My first serious watch, and never regretted it for a second.
    Breguet wristshot.JPG

hrobi, M_franco, SeanO and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rman Jan 4, 2016

@ulackfocus If I bought you a Breguet it would be a 3337 WG. You deserve better.:p

11. ulackfocus Jan 4, 2016

Ooooooo, a 3910! ::love::

Thanks! ::psy::

timjohn likes this.
  12. Aussie Jim Jan 5, 2016

I dont reckon you are Mr R Crusoe on that one. I sort of feel I should like them. Have never held one.