Forums Latest Members
  1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2016

This probably won't prove to be as popular a thread as those expounding on what we are listening to, eating, or drinking, but who knows? ::popcorn::

I came by this book by chance, being a little interested in Alexander Hamilton (no, I didn't go to NY to see the musical!) after reading David McCullough's masterly 1776, when I was perusing Wikipedia (what else?) and finally came to a rather bizarre almost-plot involving Aaron Burr, soon after the duel that ended his political career. I knew nothing about this (perhaps some of you had): apparently Burr was plotting to conquer territory recently acquired in the Louisiana Purchase, perhaps in cahoots with General James Wilkinson (Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Army at New Orleans and Governor of the Louisiana Territory), though he really desired to become the ruler of Mexico. The perhaps-plot was uncovered, and he was tried for treason several times at the insistence of the president (Thomas Jefferson), though finally acquitted by Chief Justice John Marshall because the evidence fell short of that required for treason as stipulated in the Constitution. He fled in disgrace to Europe, but eventually returned and practiced law in some obscurity until his death in 1836 at age 80. This work was listed as one in which Burr appeared in fiction, and sounded intriguing. Amazingly there was a used copy on Amazon for $12 or so.

Charles Felton Pidgin published this book in 1902. A revisionist fantasy, he posed what might have happened if the famous duel never occurred, and if Burr had won (instead of lost) the governorship of NY in 1804. In his fanciful telling, Burr became president after Jefferson and created a Utopian, imperialist vision of the United States -- conquering Mexico and Spain's Caribbean possessions (Cuba, Puerto Rico, inter alia); manumitting the black slaves of the South to build the Panama Canal (a century earlier) and deeding to them the former Spanish possessions to have their own (not-quite-equal-but-separate) country; conquering Canada from the British, after besting the UK in naval prowess (a reversal of the War of 1812); and becoming a manufacturing powerhouse. Of course the Civil War would never have happened...A bit of melodrama intertwined these grand events, of course.

It was wonderful to hold this 114-year-old book in my hands, in perfect (barely read) condition; the quality of the paper and binding are way beyond (it seems) what we do now. And the typeset was mercifully kind to my 50ish eyes.

The Climax.jpg
    Linesiders, ahartfie and micampe like this.
  2. AveConscientia Aug 14, 2016

Philip K Dick second variety

3. micampe Aug 14, 2016

Reading something in more limited edition than a CK2998 but still sells for sticker price.

IMG_1039.JPG

4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 14, 2016

Not a direct reply to the original post but as an avid reader I confess that most of my reads these days tend to be on Kindle and while it is convenient I do often miss the the feel of a book.
    Perhaps I just may start going through the bookshelves for some of the pieces I never quite got to.

jsaen and RegF like this.
  5. skmwave Aug 20, 2016

Waiting for my next flight.

The cover looks terrible, but the books are great.

image.jpeg

6. jimdgreat1 Aug 21, 2016

content.jpg

I also might have a crush on miss Crowley.

7. cvrle1 Aug 21, 2016

Many old threads on Omega Forums :D

adam78 likes this.
  8. RegF Aug 21, 2016

I usually get time to read at night, and as againg eyes have necessitated longer & longer arms, I too have moved to electronic media.

The ease of adjusting font size and then using a reversed sepia tone on a black background makes the experience much more bearable.

Added to that is my fuddled memory and the ease with which twisted plots can be recalled is also a god-send.

Recently finished re-reading all of Terry Pratchett's works started upon his death and have moved on to some Stephen Baxter and other Sci Fi titles.

I've moved more into that genre in the last few years.

Most recently completed the "Expanse" series, recently made into a TV show by James Corey

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 21, 2016

Sled Driver by Brian Shul

image.jpeg

10. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Aug 21, 2016

Just finished Gates: DUTY and Shelby Foote's 3 Volume Civil War

For Grins and Giggles, reading 1984 for the first time in decades.

Habu Are You?

****************************** A couple favorites

In his book, Sled Driver, SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul writes: "I'll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my backseater) and I were screaming across Southern California, 13 miles high. We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace. Though they didn't really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope. I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its groundspeed."

"90 knots" Center replied.

"Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same."

"120 knots," Center answered.

"We weren't the only ones proud of our groundspeed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, 'Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests groundspeed readout.'

"There was a slight pause, then the response, 525 knots on the ground, Dusty".

"Another silent pause. As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my backseater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison." "Center, Aspen 20, you got a groundspeed readout for us?"

There was a longer than normal pause.... "Aspen, I show 1,742 knots"

"No further inquiries were heard on that frequency"

In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 60 (60,000ft).
    The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, "How do you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?"

"The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, "We don't plan to go up to it, we plan to go down to it."

He was cleared...

ahartfie and Pvt-Public like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 21, 2016

@Linesiders Sled Driver is quiet well written

Two other books written well (read a while ago )
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

IDXM and Linesiders like this.
  12. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Aug 21, 2016

Sled Driver is on my list - I may need to look at these others ;)

I have a few things on the radar at the moment but I am leaning towards more Civil War - fascinating history.

13. Bushido Aug 21, 2016

Currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Next up will be a re-read of Stephen King's IT, probably been 20yrs since I first read this novel. Digging into a good science fiction/horror book has always been a favorite past time of mine.

14. cubeistan Aug 21, 2016

[​IMG]

15. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Aug 21, 2016

RegF likes this.
  16. jsaen Aug 22, 2016

Dangerous. Have you blocked out enough time to read all 15 books of the series? They only get longer.

17. skmwave Aug 24, 2016

I just finished number two, but I'm sure it will take me a year or so to get through them all. ::book::

18. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 5, 2018

Just picked up a brand new copy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183073634679Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    AU$65.83 (with free shipping from USA :D) is about a third of the going price of the cheapest secondhand copies I've seen sell on eBay.
    Other asking prices are from US$300 to over US$1,000 (some possibly signed)
    I've been looking since the above posts in August 2016. Happy boy now :)

Edit: Thought this was a longer, on going thread. Probably didn't need to quote both posts in full from only a few up the page. ;)

Edited Mar 5, 2018
  19. Waltesefalcon Mar 7, 2018

During the school year i tend to mostly read what I assign my classes, I teach special education high school English (think the sweat hogs), so right now I'm reading White Dang and A Wrinkle in Time at school and at home i have a Longmire novel, As The Crow Flies.

IDXM likes this.
  20. IDXM Mar 9, 2018

Looking forward to some Warhammer 40k. image.jpg