Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Nov 2, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LON...196983019?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4178a572ebPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The solid gold Conquests had the blue enamel stars & wave medallion, while this has the green fish medallion that came on all other Conquests. Did they put the fish medallion on an otherwise correct watch, or is it gold capped and somebody plated the back to make it seem like a solid gold version?

$(KGrHqR,!oIFJtEG,ujNBSboHGUIPg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!qsFJgWho7vdBSboL0ZyMw~~60_57.JPG

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 2, 2013

Until I see a hallmark, that's gold plated.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 2, 2013

+1

Shouldn't there be a hallmark on the back of one of the lugs?

4. ulackfocus Nov 2, 2013

Absolutely.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 4, 2013

Sold for $2k. :eek:

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 4, 2013

Someone got taken.

7. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2013

I turned it in to eBay as a fraudulent description, and even threatened to buy it for whatever it took, not pay, and fight it out with the seller so they'd have to prove it to be solid gold (which it isn't as a picture of the caseback would prove). Spent the day in the city so I didn't have a chance to bid.

Yes, somebody REALLY got taken. I hope they end up asking about it here or on a forum with a member or two who knows something about Longines.

Daniel B likes this.
  8. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 23, 2013

I've just bought a different Conquest with an interesting dial from the same seller and before bidding I noted that he had received excellent feedback on this sale. So I wonder if this particular model in solid gold did have the fish medallion? Has anybody got/seen one similar with the blue version of the medallion? The case back number should match the lug number, so switching backs around ought to be obvious.

9. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2013

If it was bought by somebody who didn't know better (which I'd bet a month's income that it was) they would unwittingly leave good feedback.

Unless the whole Longines plant was drunk, the answer is no. They would also have forgotten the hallmarks on the back side of the lugs. 18ct solid gold Conquests ALWAYS had the blue enameled stars & waves medallion. If the buyer opens the case they'll see they got ripped off, and they can get 100% proof by sending the numbers to Longines.

10. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 23, 2013

There have been Longines oddities before though. It seems odd (to me) to spend £1200 on a solid gold watch and then not check it was hallmarked gold before leaving feedback, although since a Stainless one of these sold for £2K the other day, perhaps it was OK at this price even if only gold capped.

11. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2013

Agreed - they did do some strange things in the late 50's and early 60's.

Not to me - at least not from eBay. I wouldn't do it, but whoever bought it obviously doesn't know better. There are PLENTY of foolish purchases made on eBay that end up netting the seller positive feedback. Those Ukranian frankens come to mind first.

Link please?

Not at all close to OK. The absolute nicest example of a gold capped Conquest sold for just over $1000. It was mint with the box & papers and had a perfect black dial. LouS got it here.

12. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 23, 2013

ItPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network was a power reserve (which when I wrote that I was under the misapprehension this was too) and it actually went for £1850. I think there's something wrong with the power reserve pointer but I imagine it's easily fixed. I was well out-bid though - my snipe never even got in the picture.

ThisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network is the one I did win.

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 23, 2013

Sadly the number of complete idiots out there seems to be growing, can't tell you the number of fake "18K Seamasters" I've seen sold to "happy" bidders.
    With so much good free information available on the net I almost don't feel sorry for these morons. Just type "fake Omega" into Google and our thread http://omegaforums.net/threads/dont-fall-for-a-fake-vintage-omega.6235/ pops up on the first search page. Often the buyers probably think they've found the bargain everyone else must have missed.

14. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2013

That scalloped crown alone is worth twice as much as a regular serrated logo crown. The case, bezel and lugs are pretty crisp also.

15. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 23, 2013

Excellent! That sounds promising. Yes I thought the case looked sharp but I really bought it for the green strap ;-)

(I didn't actually particularly notice the crown)

16. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2013

If you get the serial number, I'd bet the watch is from 1959 or 1960 because of that crown. Longines replaced that style quickly with serrated crowns because the scalloped one snagged on clothing and broke off too easily.

Is it ethical to "dibs" the crown alone? :D

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2013

No, but I'll stand in front of you while you grab it :D

18. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 23, 2013

So you don't want the green strap?

19. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2013

How-about-no-bear.jpg

20. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 23, 2013

If you were Australian, green and gold would be a winning combination.