Forums Latest Members

What defines a friendly forum???

1. Paedipod May 30, 2015

On my mind this week given the recent discussions about high-end watches.......

I am part of another (smaller and more geographical) watch forum. Last week a member posted and sold a relatively expensive watch to another forum member. Standard back-slapping positive feedback ensues. Within a couple of days the same watch shows up on another board at roughly (with exchange rates factored in) double the asked price in the first sale. I know that I am going to get the routine comments about the seller not doing his homework about markets, the buyer doing his research better, etc. But my real question is this:

on OF, if a member is asking well-below market value price for a watch, would a good samaritan point it out? Or forget that noise and snap up the deal and flip it for $$?

Simon

Nobel Prize likes this.
  2. ulackfocus May 30, 2015

Hard to say no to free money, eh? First off, if the member who bought it paid full asking price, is there really anything to cry foul about? If the buyer haggled the seller down from an already low price, then there might be a case for taking advantage of the seller. Secondly, if the seller who offered it at that low of a price didn't do his homework (and the internet is obviously available to that seller) then whose fault is it? As long as I've been buying/trading/selling watches, I still ask for opinions from 3rd parties to make a deal fair. For instance, I listed my Zenith El Primero too high, and started a conversation with the potential buyer and a couple Zenmasters to arrive at a decent price. It happened to be about $1000 less than my original asking price, but that's the stand-up way to do things. There's nothing that was keeping the original seller in this hypothetical situation from calling for some opinions of more experienced members.

Paedipod likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 30, 2015

I would think yes. I'd like to think if an "established" member of the forum, as opposed to an opportunistic member that just joins to sell, put a watch for sale for the wrong price someone would at least PM him or her. For sure if you placed the watch for review and asked what could be a good starting point on price someone would pitch in.

There are members that join only to sell and not participate, they act like stores and in that sense I could see a less friendly approach possibly taking place.

In my view Private sellers if they are just flipping, should not be taken advantage of, professional or bulk sellers perhaps a little less concerning.

Paedipod and persco like this.
  4. persco May 30, 2015

I know I tend to offer people honest advice because it does not align with my values to take advantage of other people's ignorance, naivete, or whatever. But I also wouldn't get too upset with someone who does take advantage of the opportunity. Different people have diffeent values, as long as there was no outright lying or bullying to get the price down with the aim of flipping then I see nothing wrong. We all pay too much sometimes or sell for lower than we could have. But we also sell some things that have appreciated in value to more than we paid. On balance I have done pretty well without taking advantage of anyone.

Paedipod likes this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 30, 2015

I can test by listing my Gemini IV for $1750 and we can see what happens.

My guess is a few members would message to see if I was thinking straight.

Paedipod and Nobel Prize like this.
  6. ulackfocus May 30, 2015

My guess is you'd have more "I'll take it!" messages than "Are you daft?" ones.

Northernman and gophishin like this.
  7. lillatroll May 30, 2015

I can only speak for this forum, I look on the for sale page here several times a day, mainly to see what is available, the prices are generally fair and quite often better than anywhere else. I have bought three watches from memebers here and the prices were fair. My impression is that here nobody is trying to rip anyone off. In general people on here are polite and generous with their knoweledge and helpfulness.

8. Paedipod May 30, 2015

Thanks for the input, I think that I am as guilty as anyone at paying more than market for something I wanted. I have not been "fortunate" to have a Gemini IV for $1750 fall in my lap!

But looks like OF generally more friendly than other places.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

I can't say it wouldn't happen here but it would be harder as people tend to be quite up front about values and pricing on this forum while its sort of not discussed in some places. Even on this listing: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-x33-on-velcro.25534/ I made the comment just after he put it up that he was well under market value on that. Spacefruit knew what he was doing and had only bought it for the bracelet, was happy with what he'd got out of it and didn't mind letting it run very cheap to see it gone quickly to someone who'd appreciate it.

When a new member here comes and posts particularly a 321 Speedmaster, or a rare / uncommon / special vintage Omega, we know there'll be a dozen people contact him and often one of us will pass him some ballpark info on value or a suggestion to let it run its course on eBay to get true market value and to be cautious of any urgent or high pressure deals below market on it.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

There's also a matter of honesty in assessment even when sometimes its brutal. In the majority of places if you posted a Ukrainian assembled pocket watch conversion you've bought for $1200 you'll get the obligatory "nice watch" "congrats" for posting pics of it. Similarly if you buy a $3500 redialed polished to death gold-cap 2852 Constellation with a Cal 503 Seamaster movement from an eBay dealer you'll get people telling you how beautiful it is.

Here you'll be given a straight up assessment of it if its a new purchase and a recommendation to return it and get your money back. Its a lot more gentle if its a family inherited watch or something like that but I think we've caused more overpriced rubbish watches to be returned and new collectors to get their money back than any other forum on the internet, and that's something I've always been very pleased with.

Some would argue (and have) that its not nice to point out the flaws in something that is obviously flawed, but I'd argue its nicer to help you get your money back, and better spend it on something truly special that you can enjoy.

11. CdnWatchDoc May 30, 2015

Just this month, a watch I called dibs on (when it sold between respected members earlier this year) was offered to me. The price was the same as what was paid originally, and reflected the condition of the piece, which is likely a bit below market value. The seller didn't try to increase the price, or change any offers. And it was posted and arrived in a timely fashion. Just respectful business! Gotta love OF! :thumbsup:

Tritium likes this.
  12. scruffy May 30, 2015

would you take $1500 for it? ;)

Taddyangle likes this.
  13. WatchVaultNYC May 30, 2015

Most people would think something is wrong with it. Definitely think something is wrong with it.

That being said, I'll up the offer to $1501

Taddyangle likes this.
  14. Paedipod May 30, 2015

well the watch in question is apparently sold....if I am reading things properly looks like a tidy $3000 profit for somebody.

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 30, 2015

It happens, no doubt. If the original seller was happy with the price and the new seller is happy with the price and both buyers are happy with the price, is there a foul?

Of course the original seller may wish they'd got the second seller's price (if they found out),they might be a little pissed, but that's how markets work, isn't it?

Why would someone sell a 2998 here on the forums for 10-12K when they go for 30K at auctions?

Nobel Prize and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

I think if 3-4 members here started dumping their 2998 collections on Christies you'd see the prices level out remarkably quickly.

oddboy and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  17. Paedipod May 30, 2015

Yes, I guess my question (answered quite well above) was more whether on a forum like this one whether somebody would take an unfair advantage knowing that they were going to flip the watch for whatever profit available (2998s not included). As much as there is a market, I would prefer to be part of a group with community spirit. I am NOT however directly dependent upon markets and the workings of the business world for my livelihood.:)

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  18. OmegaSean May 30, 2015

For me a friendly forum is somewhere I can ask a question that's probably been asked many many times and I will get an answer not just a link, I can also ask what may appear a basic / simple question to the "experts" but to a new member like me means everything I may need to know and help me in my decision making. Oh and I love a bit of humor (Nobel Prize) :)
    OmegaSean

19. WatchVaultNYC May 30, 2015

If you can accept that people buy from individuals and sell to other individuals on forums, then the only difference between flippers and the incident you just mentioned is the amount of of profit ("taking advantage") involved. Personally, I don't like making money based on arbitrage.

Paedipod likes this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

Incidentally here's the most recent example of a watch well under value being listed and selling instantly, I remember commenting on the pricing at the time:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-x33-on-velcro.25534/

Having said that Spacefruit knew exactly what he was doing and had only bought it for the bracelet so didn't mind it going to someone who would appreciate it for a good price.

I'd be fairly sure he'd have gotten a few offers for it and it probably went to someone he thought would keep and enjoy it rather than a flipper or dealer, sometimes you see members do that and let something go very cheap to a good home.

Paedipod and WatchVaultNYC like this.