Forums Latest Members
  1. westmtn Dec 5, 2016

What would cause this? Water? Fungus? Rust? Blood? Voodoo curse?

How did the subdial stay clean? Would this possible wipe off?

[​IMG]

2. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 5, 2016

I have asked a similar question before, seems like this most likely would fall in line with my original post. I was told that it is caused from water damage. My case was not nearly as pronounced as this dial, but it is something that cannot be dealt with through a cleaning. As far as the sub dial goes, it may be because the textured portion of the sub dial has kept the water away...hard to say, I do not have enough exp with the varying degrees of water damage and what is and is not effected. I can say with out a doubt, cleaning will not solve the issue.

Other members will have a much more detailed account of what is happening here, but it's the same consistency in damage as my previous post.

Best,

Thomas

3. mac_omega Dec 5, 2016

It is degradation of the lacquer in most cases which causes the silver of the dial react with oxigen or hydrogensulfide which is in the air in small traces - this results in different shades of brown, red and even black.

The only way to possibly cure it (but very risky): remove the lacquer (using lemon juice), clean with a silver cleaning solution (as used for silver cuttlery) and finally re-lacquer the dial to protect it from future oxidation/degradation...

MPWATCH likes this.
  4. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 5, 2016

Correct me if I am wrong.

This is caused by any type of degradation of the lacquer (age, water, heat, cold ext.) or is it only with specific types like moisture or heat? I was told there is a bubbling that occurs during this degradation and that's where you are seeing all the tiny dot imprints.

5. mac_omega Dec 5, 2016

often associated with bubbling but not a must...

As the lacquer degrades there are tiny "invisible cracks" where different gases and possibly steam or small amounts of water through condensation can intrude below the lacquer and the process starts... sorry, I am not a native English speaker, it is best to my abilities.... hope you can understand my explanation...

FREDMAYCOIN, gatorcpa and MPWATCH like this.
  6. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 5, 2016

No you are perfectly fine! Thank you, so essentially the crazing or "invisible cracks" give moisture the opportunity to cause bubbling or whatever other type or horrible reaction the lacquer will execute depending on what enters the dial while in it's fragile state.

Hope I'm grasping this concept....I see this type of damage so often it's always been a curiosity

Thank you so much for any time spent on clarifying! Here to learn & it is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Thomas

7. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2016

1) A desire to shift to Communism.
    2) Excess algae in an oxygen poor harbor.
    3) Diaper rash.

ralpher, Jwit, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

In this particular case, the fact that the sub-dial is sunken may have something to do with why it isn't as discolored as the rest of the dial. If the lacquer was reacting chemically with some environment pollutant, like say cigarette smoke, it would make sense that the raised area of the dial would be more affected.

Two center seconds examples from my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty much uniform.
    gatorcpa

GuiltyBoomerang and Jwit like this.
  9. arcadelt Dec 5, 2016

I have no idea. Call me weird, but I like it - wouldn't pay extra money for it, but I think it looks quite nice, especially that the subdial remains untouched.

Jwit likes this.
  10. westmtn Dec 5, 2016

I was thinking it might be a lemon juice candidate. Why would the silver cleaner be necessary?

11. westmtn Dec 5, 2016

The seller likes it too.

"Interesting purple toning"

http://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-c-194...nal-Dial-/122248181924?nav=BUYING_BEST_OFFERSPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

12. François Pépin Dec 5, 2016

The dial has been shot. Cannot say by who, but he targeted the heart. Fortunately, the subdial had a shield. So not so bad...

Seriously, I have tried lemon juice on many dials. Probably an average of one good result for 5 attempts. Dials react differently and you have to guess what can happen. For instance, I remember the scripts went away in a few second on a Geneve 601 from the 1970's, though I could let a 30 caliber dial from the 1950's half an hour without any damage. As usual with Omega watches: it depens! But the general rule with dial cleaning is: only try if you are prepared to ruin the dial as it can always happen...

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

I have seen some of the master work of Sonny Dewan, and it was truly stunning.

However, he would only work on solid gold dials and would turn down restoration on anything but those.
    gatorcpa

14. François Pépin Dec 5, 2016

I have seen some of SD' work, and I think too it is stunning. But I do not have his experience and knowledge, and I have never worked on gold dials!

I feel confindent trying lemon juice on some kinds of 1950 dials because I have found they are rather resistant. But there are some kings of dial I would not even put into water for a couple of seconds!

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

I was lucky enough to see them live and up close! :cool:
    gatorcpa

16. François Pépin Dec 5, 2016

Cool!

17. westmtn Dec 5, 2016

I'm thinking some precision tip cutips and a 12 pack of beer could go a long way. Of course my optimism is unrealistic when beer is involved.

chronos and kkt like this.
  18. François Pépin Dec 5, 2016

I never tried beer on dials...

kkt and Vitezi like this.
  19. westmtn Dec 5, 2016

The trick is to start with whiskey, then finish up with beer.

kkt and ulackfocus like this.
  20. François Pépin Dec 5, 2016

OK! I would have thought otherwise, but you seem to know your stuff!