Forums Latest Members
  1. AJDay Feb 28, 2013

So I am wearing my new Constellation for the first time today, and I can't get over the fact that the dial is more gold-colored in person than it looked in the ebay pictures, and has a nice sheen to it. I had just assumed it was "champagne".

I can't remember seeing another dial that is this gold-toned. I really love the way it looks, so no complaints, but just wanted to make sure it was original / okay.

Did Omega make a gold-colored dial for these, or is it champagne?

Can post better pics when I get home, but you can kind of see it in my WRUW pic:

uploadfromtaptalk1362068401308.jpg

Versus the color it appeared in the listing:

IMG_5337.JPG

2. Dablitzer Feb 28, 2013

I had the same on my cal. 561 straight lugs...yours looks original and really well preserved! Looks champagne to me too.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 28, 2013

These are supposed to be off-white, but as the lacquer ages it turns slighly yellow. That's where you get the champagne color.

In extreme cases you wind up with somethng like this:

[​IMG]

There's really a silver dial under there, folks.
    gatorcpa

4. AJDay Feb 28, 2013

I hope it doesn't "evolve" any more. I will have to take some better pictures, but it is delightfully golden

5. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2013

Store it in an unbreakable vacuum container - no air or moisture.

.....oh, that's right - watches are made to be worn and the word 'worn' by definition means some sort of wear will happen. I always forget that part of collecting. :unsure:

6. AJDay Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, it's going to be stored on my wrist quite frequently I think.

7. Mothra Feb 28, 2013

While not quite a dark as yours mine is similar... This is the sellers photo:

case, Pie Pan, Gold Cap.PNG

And this is what my photo looks like:

goldcap.jpg

And in reality it's darker/golder still. I'm wearing it today, and I'm embarrassed to admit I nearly had a car crash this morning because I was admiring (not looking at) it when I should have been concentrating on the corner I was approaching.

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 28, 2013

Yours looks like a 149XX or about. Here are non-color turned 168005
    !B0l43OQ!2k~$(KGrHqZ,!igE)qydcMh7BM,+e4Bo-Q~~_12.jpg
    0331.jpg

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 28, 2013

I also think that the color of the case and dial ring have something to do with it. Gold and gold-capped watches are going to have a bit softer tone when photographed.

[​IMG]

Steel is going to make the dial seem a little bit whiter. See Cicindela's photo above.

I think both dials are actually the same color.
    gatorcpa

10. Dablitzer Feb 28, 2013

Here's my slightly off white-Champagne dial. If this is what age does then getting older may not be so bad! ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362087876.570568.jpg