Forums Latest Members

What can be done when the glass fogs?

1. Phil F Jan 1, 2020

It's been quite moist and cold in my area these days and the watch glass can get fogged easily when wearing.

I remember my mom told me that to wear a fogged watch face-down for a few hours could make it clear.

What would you do about this? Thanks!

2. Dan S Jan 1, 2020

I think this is something to be avoided if possible. You really don't want condensation making its way to the dial or movement. Has the watch been serviced recently, with seals replaced?

3. Phil F Jan 1, 2020

So if sealed properly, this would not happen, right? It was opened recently.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 1, 2020

Like @Dan S suggests, have it serviced to have the caseback gasket and crown seals renewed; but I would immediately place it in a zip-lock style bag with a desiccant or rice to absorb the moisture.

Larry S, Tony and Phil F like this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 1, 2020

Opened by you? With a pair of scissors?

6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 1, 2020

What kind of watch are we referring to here?

7. Lotus_Eater8815 Jan 1, 2020

Is there a difference between inside fog (of the crystal) vs outside fogg? Are they equally deleterious to the watch, or just the inside fog? I only ask because I’ve noticed my Tudor BB36 fogging up on the outside after spending a day indoors in an air-conditioned office.

8. Buck2466 Jan 1, 2020

I would bet the case back was not properly tightened back up after opening. I would still take it to a watchmaker to take a more in depth look.

Phil F likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2020

Glasses and sunglasses fog up all the time in the tropics when going from aircon to outside. Most sapphire Crystal watches i own do it, doesnt happen on hesalite speedy.
    No issue to a watch if it's on the outside.

Phil F, Lotus_Eater8815 and Dan S like this.
  10. redpcar Jan 1, 2020

I have a few watches that have done this in the past. In a pinch, I pulled the stem to the set position and set it in front of my laptop fan (because I was at the office). Nice warm heat evaporated the moisture nicely.
    A competent watchmaker should be able to resolve the problem easily. :)

Phil F and marco like this.