Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 24, 2015

The watch on the right was sent to Bienne for a full Omega service, some years before I bought it. I bought it on ebay a few years ago, for the value of the movement and case at the time. ($2300). I think worth more now. I await a nice dial, bezel and handset.

The one of the left, er, didn't go anywhere. Until I got it that is. And it cost a lot more.

I have heard Omega in Switzerland is more sympathetic to older watches now, but I still would not feel comfortable sending to them until I see more sympathetic treatment of vintage watches.
    1-PA230407.jpg

2. watchtinker Apr 24, 2015

I have spent a life in watchmaking and seen many changes in fashion and desirability, from the introduction of quartz watches. I have been honoured to meet George Daniels and Kurt Klaus personally. I have worked for Omega for over thirty years and possibly overhauled many more 321s than any other living watchmaker. As a consequence, I cannot criticise an approach I have been taught since I was young.
    Gentlemen, whatever you may think, these watches were born as good, robust and reasonably priced timekeepers. And the guideline has always been to bring them back, at any service, to their original specifications. This has always meant to change bezels, hands, dials, crowns, pushers and movement parts in order to deliver a watch performing in accordance to its original specifications.
    Now the trend seems to consider these timepieces on the same level of a minute repeater with a cloisonne dial. Obviously this is not the case, but I do not judge such a trend, which might go on forever or collapse in the future, who knows.
    But at the same time I must spend a word to defend the way of working of many of us who were simply following a protocol, which I am still not able to consider wrong.
    Cheers.
    Maurice

3. lwong Apr 24, 2015

Nothing wrong about it really - just a difference in perspective / preference. Different facets of a same passion.

Baz9614 likes this.
  4. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 24, 2015

In any business, the customer is always right.
    If you don't get that, you lose your customers.

bonerp, marco, keepschanging and 7 others like this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 24, 2015

That is a very fair point and the majority of owners would always want it so.

It is only us watch nerds who cry about it and who knows how many ten year old watches today will be considered collectible in thirty years time. Would you really send your 5 year old AT in for a service and say, "Whatever you do, don't change any of the visible parts. I don't care if it isn't waterproof."?

STANDY likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2015

"I was just following orders".

Now where have I heard that defense before?

Bingo.

However, I don't think the Swiss, regardless of which brand, care about losing a customer or two. They have their business model, and nobody, NOT EVEN THE SUPREME COURT OF AMERICA, will tell them how to do things. It's their way or the highway, and if you've followed events in the industry for the last 5 or 6 years you'd realize the Swiss don't want independent watchmakers to exist.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

Welcome to Omega Forums! It is indeed an honor to have a employee of Omega on board for a company perspective.

This "barn find" vs. "restoration" debate goes on in many hobbies outside of vintage watches. Cars, coins, firearms all have their own standards when it comes to originality. Collectors of specific watch brands have differing opinions of the subject. What is acceptable in terms of redials or replacement parts for 1920's Hamilton collector is considered taboo by 1950's Omega collectors. These preferences are borne out through sales prices on secondary markets.

None of this is really the concern of an Omega watchmaker, whose sole purpose is to restore the watch to original specifications and functionality. I deeply respect that. One the other hand, it would be nice if Swatch/Omega would allow you and the customer some leeway to customize the level of restoration to a mutually agreed upon standard before the work is performed. I'm sure most of the OCD collectors here were would gladly sign a damage waiver if replacement of dials, hands, etc. were not undertaken against your advice.

At the very least, Omega generally returns all original parts so they may be kept with the watch. The current or future owners may do with them what they wish. The same cannot be said for some other watch companies, one of whom names starts with an "R"... :rolleyes:

Hope you stick around for awhile! :thumbsup:
    gatorcpa

P.S. - Now if we can only understand why Omega took down the portion of the Vintage Database that discussed alternative case metals and original pricing from the bottom of each case reference listing...::rant:

felsby, queriver, Etp095 and 8 others like this.
  8. shane0mack Apr 24, 2015

Thanks for going there. I thought I was going to have to, but you beat me to it. :D

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 24, 2015

It wasn't meant as a critism, per se.

It was meant as an observation, and my point is only that if I wish to preserve the value on my vintage speedmaster, I hesitate still to send it to Omega.

I fully understand the attitude of the original factory when sent a watch is to return it capable of doing the best service they can.

Just look at the astronauts watches, many of which while being historically important, do not carry their original parts, as they were replaced by Omega in order to maintain them at their highest possible performance.

Omega has not made it clear to me, or the vintage community in general, that they want to cater to us.

I would be happy to hear what the official position is.

marco likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2015

He who owns the watch, makes the decisions...period.

rcs914, Screwbacks, marco and 16 others like this.
  11. flyingout Apr 24, 2015

I thought I had heard that too.

Thank you for participating. It helps to have some inside perspective. I guess I understand the philosophy, and I have just sent a watch off that I approved more intervention than I normally would (dial cleaning, not replacement).

However, even more than destroying the monetary value of my Speedmaster, replacement parts would take the smile off my face every time I looked at it. Those old parts are the reason I enjoy the watch so much.

Hear, hear.

I fear most the cutting off of parts or forcing certain movements back to Switzerland for service if parts are needed. I know Omega is not alone here, but this is going affect me in a much bigger way than with my other watches.

Matty01 likes this.
  12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 24, 2015

I would appreciate it if the service center let you know what was to be replaced. Many times people get watches from their relatives and start to get into the watch hobby. At first they are excited and quickly send it off for a service which Omega restores to new with new parts. The owner is happy for a quick moment and wears it. Then upon reading more and more on the internet realizes the horrible mistake. Now I'm not saying Omega is at fault because they have a protocol and need to ensure a two year warranty.

marco and Etp095 like this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 24, 2015

I had a watch to the service center in toronto. They examined it and came back with a recommendation for an overhaul and some other parts, dial, hands, etc. I declined and they crossed them off the list and marked it as 'customer declined' - after trying hard to convince me they should be replaced.

I don't know what would happen if the watch had to go to Bienne, but in the local shop, they seemed ok with not replacing parts if the customer doesn't want them replaced...

Matty01 likes this.
  14. ock2915 Apr 24, 2015

For me doing that is simply destroying the soul of any watch , though can understand that someone prefers to restore to "like new" condition I am not of the same opinion

Matty01 likes this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 24, 2015

I appreciate Maurice taking the time to shed some light on the protocols of watch repair at Omega. If he were working at Lange, a German watch maker, a reference to Nazi Germany would be out of order and not funny.

The fact that Omega and Maurice are Swiss renders these disparaging remarks completely disgusting and beneath this forum. I have vacationed in Switzerland many times. They are not, and have never been, Germans. The Swiss Confederation has always been strictly neutral and their mountains and lakes are wonderful places filled with hard working, conscientious people.

davidswiss, Stgo2019, drhex and 4 others like this.
  16. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2015

The Swiss Banks also profited from the war by "being neutral" and taking fees from the Nazis for storing stolen art and other treasures. In the modern world, couldn't they be charged with "accessory to murder after the fact"?

Forgot about that, did we? Aaaah, revisionist history!

[EDIT - I removed the sentence that said I was done because obviously Gemini wants to engage me]

Edited Apr 24, 2015
    marco and watchyouwant like this.
  17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 24, 2015

And what does any of this have to do with this Swiss watchmaker, Maurice?

frederico likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2015

I only made allusion to the phrase to make a point. You took it to the next level.

So, do you think Jewish families that lost heirlooms, fortunes, and most of their relatives think of the Swiss as "neutral" or more like the Nazi's fence for stolen goods?

Truth depends on your point of view.

EDIT: I believe it's called "aiding and abetting".

Edited Apr 24, 2015
  19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 24, 2015

If you feel this strongly, why do you collect Swiss watches?

20. Shem Apr 24, 2015

I personally would have a lot less of an issue with the replacement of parts if Omega actually used original parts every time. Instead, they use whatever parts are laying around that might fit, and they may or may not look anything like what the watch originally came with. THAT, in my eyes, is the problem. If Omega was replacing those old 321's with new, but identical to the original, dot-over-90 bezels, tritium hands, applied tritium dials, etc., then it would be a different story in my view.

bent_remy, rbob99, marco and 2 others like this.