Forums Latest Members
  1. paulw Sep 12, 2018

Now I'm quite new to this but usually skim through the adds on eBay and just stop when I see something that I find visually to my liking (or a low price). Up until this evening I've not really been to bothered about the Constellation's I've seen, until I came across this, but the interesting thing I found was that I really liked the strap lugs, the single standout feature for me that elevated my interest!
    lugs1.jpg
    Normally for me it's first and foremost the dial, then the overall shape - I don't know enough to get excited about the caliber numbers or year of production.

Paul

Etp095 likes this.
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Sep 12, 2018

I think you've got it right.:) I really like the dial, hour markers and hands on this Omega Seamaster.

20180217_150212.jpg
    This caught my eye in the same shop window. Something very attractive about these 'Pie Pan' dials.
    20180217_144348-1.jpg
    Two very different watches. To me, attractive for different reasons.

Edited Sep 12, 2018
    Etp095 likes this.
  3. M'Bob Sep 12, 2018

Watches are like women; after a number of beers, they all look attractive.

MCC, chanbar, felsby and 5 others like this.
  4. paulw Sep 13, 2018

Which is why I never go near an eBay BIN button after I've had a few, restrict myself to low ball offers only.

Paul

pascs likes this.
  5. chipsotoole Sep 13, 2018

if I can't imagine myself wearing it then I don't buy it. For me it is first and foremost the dial and hands, though there are also stunning case designs out there..I have a few quite a few vintage gp plated watches, but realise I really don't like to wear gold plate bracelets....too used car salesman vibe for me. And I pretty much remove any and all speidel types bands right away (with one exception)
    Obviously if the bug bites deep you find you might buy lines of a perhaps lesser particular brand just for the hell of it ( in my case I like Orator, Lemania, Oebra, Transglobe, Nivada, Zodiac) I doubt they will ever be in great demand outside collecting circles, but i'll probably just about make my money back on them when the time comes to dissolve or downsize.I love chronographs but they are tricky and expensive to collect. I've slowly collected my JLC's in a similar manner, they aren't in top notch collectors condition but the movements are all running sweetly and a joy to behold.They get worn sparingly. I also have a soft spot for, and keep an eye out for basic 17j mechanical vintage divers from the 60's. There are so many of them and the movement quality and condition varies greatly...but I love those funky tritium dial designs.
    Omega of course is the joint first love along with the JLC's. Like Paulw above I tend to be a bottom feeder looking for bargains. There are fewer and fewer about and the constant price rises means that really rusted up, knackered dogs of a watch are selling for double what they did 2 years ago. There are bargains out there...but not so much online.. you gotta do the footwork.
    On a final note I think that despite admiring them from afar, Constellations are not for me. I can't put my finger on exactly why..but the fact they are a minefield to buy in original untouched condition is definitely an issue.

6. Civic4982 Sep 13, 2018

The fact that the same or similar model has been to the moon. :p

chipsotoole likes this.
  7. 89-0 Sep 13, 2018

That it gets me chicks!

chipsotoole likes this.