Forums Latest Members
  1. Spy You know my name. Mar 25, 2017

I change my straps or bracelets often, so some years ago I bought a Bergeon 6767F. Later I picked up the 6825, also, from Bergeon.

[​IMG]

Has anyone on OF bought tools or do you use tools included in a purchase?

fskywalker likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 25, 2017

I imagine many on here have a 6767 but the other thing is is about £120 so I am guessing not too many amateurs will have laid out the dough. I have a cheap timing machine that cost about that though.

fskywalker likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2017

Pretty sure amateurs is all they sell those to.... :)

fskywalker, Als 27, George.A and 7 others like this.
  4. billyblue Mar 25, 2017

I also fell into that trap...if the spring bar is right for the lug width it is pretty useless as you can't press both sides of the spring bar inwards as much as you would need to remove the bracelet [emoji849]

fskywalker likes this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 25, 2017

Blimey mate!...Just nearly choked on a biscuit reading that answer.:D

I'm like that when I see cheap bricklaying trowels and dodgy spirit levels.:D

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. Spy You know my name. Mar 25, 2017

The pliers speed up changing straps/bracelets. It is another option I use. They are less traditional, but perhaps some are too lazy to try them.

Alfista88 likes this.
  7. Spy You know my name. Mar 25, 2017

Can you elaborate, please? I use it to remove the bracelet from my 2254 with no issue.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2017

Sorry mate - didn't mean to cause a choking incident! :)

Yes, when you do a certain thing every day to make a living, sometimes the "new and improved" tools they sell are questionable in a professional setting certainly. The only spring bars I can't get out quickly using my regular old Bergeon tool are those that need to be cut out.

fskywalker, Als 27, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  9. night0wl Mar 25, 2017

I actually bought the 6825 awhile ago and returned it because it was much too cumbersome for me to use vs the 6111 and you can't press the springbar 100% to release a strap. I also have the 6767F and S but never use it because the 6111 works better for me.

10. No Mercy Mar 25, 2017

I only use the knife or screwdriver ^_^

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 25, 2017

Which presumably means your lugs are scratched to hell and you only have 3 fingers on your left hand?

George.A, OMGRLX and Stewart H like this.
  12. No Mercy Mar 25, 2017

None applied to me ^_^

13. waterproofpt Mar 25, 2017

@Archer. I'm wondering what your 'regular old Bergeon tool' is and what you use for those really tight SEL end links.

I'm another one (of those amateurs) using the 6767. And I've been tempted by either the 7825 tweezers or the 6825 pliers.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2017

I use it so much all the printing with the numbers has worn off long ago, but I know it's a 6111. It has a 1 mm fork for bars (same as the 6767 I believe), and that flips around to a 0.8 mm pin for watches with drilled lugs. The other end has a bent 4 mm fork - I use this on watches with straps.

Keep in mind that most people who are not watchmakers are under the impression that tools come ready to use, but very few watchmaking tools do - I am used to fitting, filing, or polishing most things once I take it out of the box for the first time. I've filed the smallest fork to fit something specific when needed. Also I use this tool multiple times per day, nearly every day, so although this isn't like troubleshooting a chronograph or burnishing pivots using a Jacot tool, there is a learning curve and experience does count for something.

Cheers, Al

fskywalker, Pun, Als 27 and 2 others like this.
  15. billyblue Mar 25, 2017

I try, but keep in mind that I am no native English speaker.

The pliers as they are called above are used to press in both spring bar ends at the same time. This is in theory very useful when you want to remove a bracelet that has end links that are fitted with very small tolerances to the case, e.g. Rolex. In this case you can not wiggle the end links or tilt them. If you use a tool like the 6767, you do this on one end. I've experienced the using the 6767 fork on one end still compresses both ends of the spring bar, and the end that is still in the whole takes a portion of the spring bar end. You have the same "contraction" of the spring bar like pushing on both end PLUS some of the spring bar end in one hole. With the pliers I have experienced on two watches, e.g my GS, that compressing the spring bar on both ends and trying to remove it in its position in the middle of the lugs without tilting the end link, the spring bar ends are still in the holes of the case or scratching the case by touching it. This has to do with the position the forks are grabbing the spring bar end and how much the spring bar end protudes outwards from the fork.

I don't know if this is understandable without a drawing...

fskywalker likes this.
  16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 25, 2017

Mostly made by DeWalt ::facepalm2::

Greatoldone likes this.
  17. WatchWarlock Mar 25, 2017

I have the same exact setup. I HATE scratching the case, so the pliers for the Rolexes were really the best investment I've made with my limited skills.

fskywalker likes this.
  18. j.allen Mar 26, 2017

The 6767 works great. What's really nice is when the lugs are entirely drilled through and you can use the pin end to remove it.

I recently quality Swiss spring bars for about $1.50 apiece. Using the 6767 I could not even get the bars in, and if I did I'd never get them out. I don't think they can be compressed to 18mm. I don't think the pliers would have been any more helpful. Anyways I purchased the same ones in a 16mm size and they are sturdy. The lug would probably snap off before the spring bar would fail.

fskywalker likes this.
  19. Greatoldone Mar 26, 2017

Mix of Makita and Milwaukee for me.;)

fskywalker likes this.
  20. Sculler22 Mar 26, 2017

Or, you can buy an FB-504 from Otto Frei. Identical to a Bergeron 6111, but $25.00.