Forums Latest Members
  1. seann Jan 13, 2016

I'm considering purchasing this for my girlfriend's birthday. Any thoughts? She's not a watch aficionado, but she enjoys classic items. It's priced at $225 and it was professionally overhauled about a year ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. novina Jan 13, 2016

Be advised that they are small. Dainty is a word that comes to mind. Also, unless you have a receipt and full explanation of work performed, assume it needs to be serviced. Just my thoughts. And yes, it is a pretty watch.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2016

If you are sure the lack of a battery will not bother her. Many women do not take well to non quartz watches.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jan 13, 2016

A female WIS would enjoy that.

Female WIS are rarer than 45 consecutive seconds of silence from Donald Trump.

She'll think it's cool at first (unless she thinks you're trying to shove your hobby down her throat), but after she realizes that it needs to be reset often the novelty will wear off and it will end up like most of my wife's mechanical watches...... banished to the jewelry box.

5. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jan 13, 2016

Nifty lil' movement...

6. Canuck Jan 13, 2016

My wife's favourite watch is the Rolex equivalent of the Omega which I gave her 26 years ago. Had I known I would have been resigning myself to 26+ years of winding it, setting it, and setting the calendar, I might have bought a quartz of some description, instead! An irrational love she has for this watch!

OmegaRookie likes this.
  7. seann Jan 13, 2016

WIS?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 13, 2016

Watch Idiot Savant.

It's a term that was coined on the TimeZone forums many, many years ago.
    gatorcpa

seann likes this.
  9. seann Jan 13, 2016

10. omegastar Jan 13, 2016

Never buy a watch for a woman without showing it first or having had an explicit info that she likes it.
    Believe me, I have a lot of experience, and you would be surprised to see what watch she would have picked up.
    If you don't beleive me just check
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/1970s-omega-de-ville-jeux-dargent.33985/
    to see how easy it is to get wrong.
    best
    Mounir

Fulton8or, arkstfan, Severin and 2 others like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2016

Well contrary to a couple of people's experiences noted in this thread, my wife knows to how wind and set her own watches (although I sometimes still do it for her anyway) and I have bought her a vintage watch that she had never seen before and she loves it.

I guess it depends a bit on her willingness to learn how to use a watch herself, and also how well you know her tastes...

I say go for it, but as noted unless you have proof it was serviced, count on having one done on this watch.

Cheers, Al

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 13, 2016

I think it looks great. I'm a woman so I can't speak for women who don't like mechanical watches, but automatic is not such high maintenance. I do agree style is very much a matter of personal taste and it's a good idea to seek an opinion first.
    Cheers,
    S

Fulton8or and seann like this.
  13. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jan 13, 2016

There are many wise comments in these forums from true watch experts, and I'm grateful for them. However, this is the wisest, most important and most profoundly true observation I have yet seen in any of these forums, despite the considerable competition. The noob tax for those who have not yet fully learned this truth, in terms of time and effort as well as money, can be substantial.

Severin likes this.
  14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 13, 2016

that! dont do it...women work differently

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 13, 2016

Just curious, if a woman buys a watch for a man without checking first he likes it-- is there a guarantee that he will in fact like it?

omegawatchlover and seann like this.
  16. ulackfocus Jan 13, 2016

Ummmm, it depends...... and I won't post what it depends on. Suffice it to say, it's not dependent on the actual watch! ;)

Traveler likes this.
  17. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Jan 13, 2016

Is the hands original?

18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 14, 2016

Ha ha ha!!

19. ChrisN Jan 14, 2016

My wife has half a dozen mechanical watches, including a 684 which is a similar calibre to the one above. I think thats a 681.

She just selects one each day, sets and uses it. As the 68x are automatics, if your wife is wearing it every second day, it will just keep going. The rotor is small and not as efficient, in my opinion, as a man's size but it works fine and my wife's 684 has a power reserve of 42 hours or so.

I'd buy the Genève if it were me.

Cheers, Chris

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 14, 2016

Size is a question... some women like very small, feminine watches -- others like to wear larger watches.
    One hint might be : what style and size of watch does she wear now?