Forums Latest Members

What are your thoughts on affordable automatic watches that look similar

1. Adamh Nov 10, 2016

to more prestigious brands? As a young professional with a one year old, I'm doing my best to manage my finances responsibly. I considered the following watch to be a good buy, but also took note of its similarity to another (more expensive) watch. You can tell how they differ easily if you know what to look for, but it can also be said that they are too similar. Do you feel that this type of similarity treads into tacky territory? I like the watch either way, but I'm curious of what watch enthusiasts think.

IMG_1913.JPG
    Edited Nov 10, 2016
    Kofosu and JimInOz like this.
  2. Adamh Nov 10, 2016

3. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2016

Taking design cues is different from outright copying. The FC has some elements of that BP, and a little bit of Breguet influence too.

Adamh likes this.
  4. Vitezi Nov 10, 2016

Think Seiko. Unlike a Rolex Submariner, it costs about $200:
    [​IMG]

Kofosu, Pun, Uniqez and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 10, 2016

I agree with your design elements statement...it's been commmon in architecture, automotive, electronics, etc as long as those industries have been around and watchmaking is no different. Being in a similar situation (except I have 3 young boys) financially I simply can't buy every omega, Rolex, IWC etc that I want so brands like FC (which I happen to like myself) gives me a nice alternative without having to take out a second mortgage. I think they fill a very nice niche in the marketplace so I see no issue with it.

EatMan and Adamh like this.
  6. ncstate1201 Nov 10, 2016

The only issue I have with inexpensive watches is when you finally need the movement service in my head I have a hard time justifying the cost. The more complicated the movement the more it costs and the less I want it if it is inexpensive.

Adamh likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 10, 2016

I would have bet money this would be about submariner clones. Honestly 99.9% of people would be equally in the dark on both. If anything the FC looks more expensive I thought it was a VC at first.

Adamh likes this.
  8. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 10, 2016

I open this thread thinking the same thing...pleasantly surprised to see a photo of an FC instead. Actually I think that is the first pic of an FC I've seen on this forum. I like the style of their pieces.

Adamh likes this.
  9. bigsom Nov 10, 2016

I actually find little resemblance between the SKX you linked and any rolex model. Seiko is uniquely seiko and I don't think they are in the business of trying to copy design elements from swiss brands. If anything they have innovated and pushed japanese style design and others have copied seiko. The Omega AT is a good example of that. Also speaking of price, an SBGA029, many would consider a more finished watch than a submariner and runs in a similar price category.

Adamh likes this.
  10. SeanO Nov 10, 2016

The only problem I ever had with FC is that they're a weird size and none of them ever sat right on the wrist.

They appear well made though.

Adamh likes this.
  11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 10, 2016

Check out the Dan Henry thread. He seems to have taken design cues from vintage and his watches look so good I might be buying a quartz!

Adamh likes this.
  12. meganfox17 Nov 11, 2016

What's the Time ?[emoji136]
    It's Meganfox's Show And Tell[emoji137] Time !

Show me a FC ultrathin Moonphase & I'll show you 3 similar watches available in my backyard. If people ask you what's that moon on the dial ? Just reply " Oh , That's a Lycan Alert Display[emoji106] " [​IMG]
    No #1[​IMG]A designer brand we dont take seriously around here powered by a Tianjin Seagull Cal ST2528 [​IMG]It certainly looks expensive but be aware the rose gold plating changes colour then peels off after a while
    No # 2[​IMG]Seagull which makes pretty good fairly priced imitation is always on my list. Name any brand & Seagull has an answer

No# 3[​IMG]My 1st watch was a Mickey Mouse, so naturally anything that breathes Mickey is Top of my list[emoji66]

Edited Nov 11, 2016
    EatMan, Adamh, ChrisN and 1 other person like this.
  13. micampe Nov 11, 2016

Oh?

Adamh likes this.
  14. Buster Nov 11, 2016

I would cosider a Seiko or Hamilton. I have owned both and they looked nice and lasted greater than ten years each with no maintenance. When they eventually died I didn't repair them because of cost and I was ready for a new watch. Both were Quartz and I did replace the batteries a few times.

watchme and Adamh like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 11, 2016

95% of the herd wouldn't know a PP or a VC from a FC.

The other 5% of us who do know consider the FC to be a decent watch. Maybe not in PP/VC territory, but as close as you need to separate you from the Boss/Armani/Invicta crowd.

EatMan, Adamh and Foo2rama like this.
  16. OhMegaMan Nov 11, 2016

I almost bought the same watch you are wearing on impulse. Wow...never thought i would see it in any forum. The sales person was very convincing. I was almost certain of the purchase that the AD tech started to adjust the strap for me. At the end, i didnt bite cuz the date wheel was completely off. It didnt change the date until 1am. Plus i was turned off by how flimsy the packaging is. The 'pillow' where they wrap the watch was so out of shape that the watch rolled right out. And honestly it bothers me too that the name is quite similar sounding to Vacheron Constantin. So i decided against buying it. It was a good looking watch, nevertheless. I like the breguet hands and guilloche. The one i almost bought even had the open heart design, where u can see the balance wheel spinning.

Btw if im not mistaken, FC is now owned by Citizen? And they have a complication model/perpetual calendar for under 10k, which is unheard of in the world of mechanical watches.

And yes, as Megan Fox pointed out FC does gold plating which is, imho, a big no no in the world of watch collecting.

Edited Nov 11, 2016
    Adamh and meganfox17 like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 11, 2016

Yes, clearly Rolex copied this one...

[​IMG]

;)

EatMan likes this.
  18. Uniqez Nov 11, 2016

Raymond Weil watches are in the similar price range and some of them look alike FC. But there are automatic watches for all of the budgets and style preferences out there. Seiko and it's younger brother Orient are really good watches, if you are not looking for Swiss made sign on the dial.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

19. Vitezi Nov 12, 2016

Unless, of course, you're in a herd of squirrels. Then all bets are off.
    upload_2016-11-12_7-48-1.png
    (thanks)

JimInOz and cicindela like this.
  20. jebula Nov 12, 2016

Steinhart has pretty nice looking affordable watches, although almost every piece they have are some kind of copies from different brands. But I think they are pretty good quality.

[​IMG]