Forums Latest Members

What are these Glossy Stains on my Speedmaster 71' Dial (Need Help Please!)

1. Thaumaturgist This is my dog MooMoo. He watches me PooPoo. Sep 9, 2016

Hi OF,

I acquired a 145.022-71 speedy recently which was water damaged but i managed to get it fixed up and it is now running. However, upon inspecting under a loupe, i noticed some glossy black dial that looks like it was coloured by a marker (which i am pretty sure isn't a marker). If anyone could help..

1) What exactly are those black stains? I know the white specs are probably calcium deposits

2) Can this darker glossy stain be removed/cleaned? Anyone has any idea?

3) It is a 32.2 million series watch and i am looking for a straight writing caseback(PM me if anyone has any to sell ;)), would this be period correct for this watch? Also, would anyone advice against swapping the caseback(of course i'll keep the original) just felt it looks cooler with a straight writing!

And now, the photos:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Edited Sep 9, 2016
  2. M'Bob Sep 9, 2016

On, or in, is the question. Oil stains on top? Top layer flaking?

3. ulackfocus Sep 9, 2016

Maybe it's what is left of the original clear coat.

4. Thaumaturgist This is my dog MooMoo. He watches me PooPoo. Sep 9, 2016

When i tilt the dial under a loupe, it looks to be that these "stains" are on the same "level" as the rest of the dial. I have no clue how oil stains are supposed to look...Just to clarify, if top layer is flaking, does that mean speedmaster dials are matt due to some kind of applied layer? And the base is actually the glossy texture?