Forums Latest Members

What are the pitfalls from buying in Italy online

1. Frap May 28, 2015

I am based in the UK and since having seen a Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial recently I cant get it out of my mind, I have had a good hunt around on Chrono24 and have found a dealer / shop offering the watch for quite a discount in Italy. I haven't had anything this expensive shipped from outside the UK before and a little hesitant hovering over the confirm purchase button. Obviously using my credit card for the extra protection it offers. Anyone had any problems or can offer advice ?

2. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! May 28, 2015

I can't say I've had the best luck with transactions from Italy. I'm dealing with a situation with an ebay purchase from Italy right now. There was a defect that was not disclosed which made the watch unacceptable to me. I first tried to arrange a return with the seller, who denied my request and offered a discount instead which I declined. I then went through ebay to initiate a return and compel the seller to provide a return shipping address, and shipped the item back with insurance. The seller refused to accept the package because he said to do so would incur a 25% tax and duty. This is a new one for me, and I have no idea how this is going to work out.

3. toddle321 May 29, 2015

I don't buy from Italy unless it's something that I really need (do we really neeeed any of this stuff? :)) and can't find anywhere else. Nothing against the sellers or Italians as a group (I love visiting there), I have just had several bad experiences with the Italian shipping services.

4. lwong May 29, 2015

Really. Bugger. I have a flightmaster making its way from Italy as I write this. Well at least it's still being tracked...

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2015

I have purchased more than a dozen watches from Italy, and have had no problems. Just remember the old saying – buy the seller. Also, broadly speaking I have the impression that the problems are more associated with ingoing, rather than outgoing shipments.

As far as shipping goes, either TNT registered and insured, or Fedex.

Edited May 29, 2015
    WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2015

I've always wondered why the Italian watch collectors, of which there are many and extremely serious ones at that, don't pursue the issue of their disreputable postal service more vigorously. Its not really fair to them that so many eBay listings refuse to ship to Italy due to unacceptable risk of thievery by a handful of shitbags in their postal service.