Forums Latest Members

What are people's thoughts on restored speedmasters

1. listy Nov 15, 2016

2. wsfarrell Nov 15, 2016

When I buy a 42 year old watch, I like to see SOMETHING on it that suggests it's been around a while and has a history. A tritium dial would be nice on this one, for example. As it stands, I'd have to open the caseback every week or so to remind myself that it's a '74. Not a desirable piece, in my opinion.

mr_yossarian and listy like this.
  3. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2016

If you want a watch that looks like new, buy a new watch.

4. Neek U-neek. Get it? Nov 15, 2016

I don't see the draw to buy a vintage watch that has been restored.

listy likes this.
  5. mozambique Nov 16, 2016

If you like it and the price is right, then why not. Generally, buyers are less keen on vintage watches that have had dials replaced, as an original dial in good condition represents a large percentage of the watch value. Bear in mind that future value and ease of selling will be affected by the replaced parts.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2016

Many vintage Speedmasters have one or several non movement parts replaced. Everyone has to decide for themselves when a negative tipping point is reached. This is based on price, cost of undoing negative refurbishment (if undertaken) and of course desire for the watch.
    Decide for youself and if purchased enjoy the watch for what it means to you.

7. rcs914 Nov 16, 2016

I believe from looking at the sale price on the link, the price accurately reflects that it isn't particularly desirable. I've not seen many $2350 Speedmasters anywhere lately. Considering that this appears to have been serviced somewhat recently, it is quite cheap, if someone were to want a daily wearer, or if someone were looking for one to create their own one-off (Japanese racing dial, Gemini 4, etc).

kingsrider likes this.