Forums Latest Members

What am I doing wrong in stores?

1. thevespabandit Jul 31, 2016

So in my few experiences and exchanges that I've had in a number of retail stores in a certain Australian city, I can say that the experiences have been rather off-putting.
    I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's some sort of password I need to say in order to be A. acknowledged or B. have someone have a conversation with me? Am I doing something wrong? Is there some sort of clique I need to be part of before I enter a store? Is the watch thing here somewhat wanky, or do I resemble a pleb (don't answer that) because it's almost as if I dare step foot in establish that deal in horological goodness.

Is this common or exclusive to my experiences thus far? Cheers :-p

Atleo likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2016

Are you wearing a watch?

Atleo likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2016

Had the same issue with waiters during my last visit to Sydney. Could it be that minimum wage thing you folks have? That's what folks told me the issue was. No incentive.

4. lillatroll Jul 31, 2016

I get it quite a lot. I have long hair and a beard and usually get ignored unless someone spots me wearing a watch. I understand that I might not look like I am an actual money spending customer so I don't take it personally, if staff continue to ignore you or are not helpful then go somewhere else where they will treat you with courtesy.

5. Longbow Jul 31, 2016

To hell with them! Save up for a trip to Europe; come to beautiful Hamburg and visit the Omega Boutique on Neuer Wall. You will be treated well there.

6. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Jul 31, 2016

So ist es! You are so right!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

OMGRLX and Longbow like this.
  7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 31, 2016

I think I havent entered an AD/OB in years ...

but I get treated / treat "internet watchfriends" rather well ... that is where my money keeps flowing

gotta cut out the middleman ;-)

cheers

gemini4 and OMGRLX like this.
  8. arno Jul 31, 2016

Rent a limo, park in front of the OB, have someone open the door for you. Get off the cars with two babes ... Maybe they'll want to sell you a watch ?
    Probably the salesman don't believe someone that doesn't wear a suit or drive a big car or wears gold Rolex can buy an Omega watch ...
    Did you get a 'Good morning, Sir. Can i be any help ?'
    If not, did you try to engage conversation with them ?

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. duc Jul 31, 2016

I'm on the fence as to whether or not that's a problem. Sometimes the hovering sales person is more annoying than being ignored. I like to look around uninterrupted until I'm ready. At that point, I'm fine waiting a few minutes longer to catch the eye of a sales person.

CTS-V, Davidt, Traveler and 2 others like this.
  10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 31, 2016

The OB, here in San Antonio, treats me like a king; Louis XVI, to be exact.

I'm just kidding. Amy, Raynor and Jorge are the best. They love to talk vintage and let me get away without buying anything.

Edited Jul 31, 2016
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2016

I regret that you have but one life to give to your forum. :unsure:

ahartfie and timjohn like this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 31, 2016

I am actually treated well and i often look less than polished... That said it ks very common in NYC to look " derelict chic" so mist stores look for tell tales like nail care, erc,
    Not kidding.

In any event after the simple greeting i often tell them i like to just look around by myself and then het back to them when i need them, because i hate the distraction and added presure of sales- people. Because by the time i come back to them im pretty specific they are always very helpfully.

My favorire teams are the Omega 5th avenue Boutique and the Rolex 5th avenue Boutique; both have gone way above and beyond for me in several occasions. IWC Is very very good but they are reserved until aproached as they have too many "visitors" Tornueau is hit and niss. JLC is not good at all. Panerai is ok.

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 31, 2016

I thought that was Nathan Hale. I'm pretty sure Louis' last words were "let them eat Rolexes".

gemini4 and ahartfie like this.
  14. arno Jul 31, 2016

I hope you won't get shorten @ 38 yo just like he was ...

15. EatMan Jul 31, 2016

In general I rather not have a salesperson hovering over me, other than my local OB where they know me so they just gladly show me watches without pressure. Just be confident and ask for help when ready. You will be pleasantly surprised how just a bit of confidence changes a salesperson's attitude.

16. arno Jul 31, 2016

Yeah, this is why i asked if OP went to them, or if staff went to him ...
    After that, if it's just that staff does not consider OP seriously for some reasons (most likely clothes or maybe the attitude) (no offence here, but most of salesman have some 'apriori' when they see someone stepping in), then managment should replace his staff... and customer to go in another boutique. I mean, you never know what people have in their pocket and what their purchase intentions are

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2016

Your mixing your Louis', it was @LouS , that after he bought the last of the remaining desired vintage Zeniths, and was asked what are the other forum members to do?, Sniveled, “Qu’ils mangent leur Rolex”

ahartfie, Syrte, ulackfocus and 2 others like this.
  18. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 31, 2016

OP: Do they see you parking the stolen moped in front of the shop? If they do maybe they don't want to 'get involved'.

19. abrod520 Jul 31, 2016

Definitely helps to wear a modern watch. Took two trips to the 5th Ave OB, one with my old Heuer Carrera 2447, and one with my Speedmaster Apollo XI 45th LE. They were very courteous both times, but when I asked them to follow up about upcoming releases, I heard nothing back after my trip with the Carrera. However, wearing the XI-45, the salesperson was my best friend for half an hour, and followed up that evening.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2016

One man's "being ignored" is another's "respectful distance to browse." One man's "appropriate attention" is another's "annoying and pushy."

I do think sometimes sales people can't be bothered to ask you, or do hover over you far too much, but most are pretty good giving you either distance or attention as warranted, at least in my experience.

Any sales person who ignores someone based on the clothes they wear, if they have a watch on or not, and what brand it might be, is pretty stupid IMO. I don't "dress up" to go shopping, so if it's summer I'll be wearing shorts, runners, tee shirt, and a ball cap likely. If they ignore me because of that, they are only hurting themselves.

Some of the wealthiest people I know don't show it in any way you would notice...