Forums Latest Members

What’s your favorite book?

1. MtnBkr Dec 27, 2019

I loved that story! The sequels were disappointing but Gus and Woodrow were classic characters that I was dying to follow through other adventures (until I did).

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 27, 2019

I too loved Siddhartha, here are some of my favourites in a somewhat similar vein

Man’s search for meaning - Victor Frankl
    The Alchenist - Paulo Coelho
    Illusions, the adventures of a Reluctant Messiah - Richard Bach - I have bought and given this to friends numerous times

A recent read that I enjoyed was
    The Queen of Bloody Everything - Joanna Nadia

Others I enjoyed from memory
    Brick Lane - Monica Ali
    The Quarry - Iain Banks
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon
    The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 27, 2019

Reading and book collecting is an interest I share with Mrs. noelekal. We maintain a library of about 1500 volumes of trash 'n treasures including many antiquarian books up to nearly 400 years old. Why it's "The Home For Wayward Books" here!

No Kindles for us!

Bible reading is a lifetime habit. Beyond that, we each keep two or three books going at any given time as well as one which we read to each another. I like dead 18th-19th century British novelists and works of history: American, British, European, and classical Greco-Roman.

I first read Doyle's "Hound of the Baskervilles" at about 12 years of age and have loved Sherlock Holmes ever since. Mrs. noelekal gave me a two-volume set of the complete Sherlock Holmes for Christmas the first year we were married and I've worn them out rereading them every 18 months to two years.

I appreciate "Fate Is the Hunter" by Ernest Gann. I love Gann's writing style and the narrative reveals his own outlook on life which mimics my own.

Both are regularly inserted in my reading schedule.

IMG_6185.jpg

Gav1967, argonbeam and Edward53 like this.
  4. chronos Dec 27, 2019

Nice!
    I share the love for antique books. Here are my latest additions, bought three weeks ago
    0FE01A63-D824-4FBF-9374-490BF0803541.jpeg 19EDB324-21EC-4727-A5D0-C916192F6DAD.jpeg 678D5F5F-5AA6-40EF-88E8-7389F8403436.jpeg

Edited Dec 27, 2019
    Gav1967, argonbeam and noelekal like this.
  5. samthebutcher Dec 27, 2019

the works I gravitated towards had to display a particular use of language. I won't call it poetic, but certainly rhythmic and given to that structure. I don't read much besides poetry anymore, but back when I did read novels...

Light in August, Faulkner. Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy. We, Zamyatin (see where Orwell got most of 1984).

pnwyankee likes this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 27, 2019

Great stuff Chronos!

How well crafted the antiquarian books are, more timeless somehow. The paper is sturdier and of much higher quality than the books printed much later, say 1880s forward. The antique ones are fun to read too. They keep the reader on his toes with their medial S ( [​IMG] ), ligatures ( æ), spelling, punctuation, and other textual quirks. Sometimes one has to read carefully.

seersucker.jpg

Here are a few photographs of of some kept here. I should make photographic records of all the oldies on hand.

A 1704 copy of Sir Samuel Butler's "Hudibras."
    IMG_1027.jpg

1631 edition of Godwyn's "Moses and Aaron Civil and Ecclesiastical Rites."
    IMG_1025.jpg

The oldest volume on hand, also by Godwyn, his "Roman History".
    IMG_1024.jpg

Sentimentally attached to this one, a 1793 copy of Goldsmith's "The Vicar of Wakefield" purchased, whimsically enough in a dusty bookstore in Wakefield West Yorkshire while on a visit to friends.
    IMG_1030.jpg

7. Muddlerminnow Dec 27, 2019

I've always liked Shakespeare and Tolstoy for dysfunctional family histories.
    Recent fiction? Anthony Doerr's All the Light You Cannot See, which is superbly crafted.
    Old Fiction/Fishing yarns--lol--Moby Dick
    Anything about anything Dept: John McPhee and Ian Frazier
    Literary history: Arnold Gingrich's Nothing But People: The Early Days of Esquire
    Interviews: James Baldwin, The Last Interview
    Etymology: OED and Skeat
    Piscatorial Entomology: Preston Jennings
    Reading now: Flaubert, Bouvard et Pecuchet

noelekal likes this.
  8. Fabrice M Dec 27, 2019

I have a few, but here are two:
    100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The little Prince by Antoine de St Exupery

9. scv55 Dec 29, 2019

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2019

I really love the book The Picture of Dorian Gray. Wow. Never gets old...

11. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Dec 31, 2019

:) see what you did there :D

Archer likes this.
  12. Professor Dec 31, 2019

I had a second edition unabridged printing of Moby Dick. Between the chapters there were detailed descriptions of many strange places and creatures of the oceans. One I remember was of a chapel built in the skeleton of a great whale.
    A rather disturbing part was the suggestion of Ahab abusing the black child Pip. After pip was rescued and near witless from his ordeal Ahab kept him in his cabin and dressed him like a little girl. I certainly don't remember them keeping that part in the Film versions.

13. Lazy_Lightning Jan 1, 2020

On the Road is one my favorites as well. Funnily enough, I read it at three different points in my life and thought different things:

16 years old:
    I hadn't travelled without my parents and was blown away by the freedom of being on he road while meeting all manner of new and interesting people.

24 years old:
    I had travelled and spent time on friend's couches across the country, and without much money, so I could relate. I could also appreciate the wild nights/days with new/crazy people you meet while on the road.

45 years old:
    All I could think was: why can't these people keep to themselves, get a job and stay at a hotel like normal adults.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  14. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 1, 2020

One of the best books I have ever read is by the Danish author Tom Buk-Swienty called Slagtebænk Dybbøl (Slaughter-bench Dybboel) and is about the 1864 war between Denmark and Preussia and the Battle of Dybbøl. The only book that has made me cry while reading it when he recites letter from the soldiers to their families and vice versa. Extremely powerful stuff.

One I have also read several times is Bernard Cornwell’s first non-fiction “Waterloo” about the battle at Waterloo in 1815. You are right down there with the soldiers. You are right at the edge of your seat, when The Scots Greys charge and rout several columns only to get counter-charged and slaughtered by the French lancers.

The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton is also really good. And his Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park, I have also read several times.

So many incredible books

15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 1, 2020

Yeah Togri. So many books. So little time.

16. X vintage Jan 6, 2020

Crash - J.G Ballard
    Life is Elsewhere - Milan Kundera
    The Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    Bitter Moon - Pascal Bruckner
    The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger
    The Lover of Lady Chatterley - D.H Lawrence
    The Doors of Perception - Aldous Huxley
    Neuromancer - William Gibson
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    Bug Jack Barron - Norman Spinrad
    The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
    The Great Gatsby - F.S Fitzerald
    The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    On the Road - Jack Kerouac
    The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Alan Sillitoe
    If This Is a Man - Primo Levi
    The Human Stain - Philip Roth
    The Turn of The Screw - Henry James
    Le Maitre Du Monde - Jules Verne
    The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - H.P Lovecraft

It is not easy for me to stop once i get started....:whistling:

X

17. dancollins09 Jan 6, 2020

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

18. Waltesefalcon Jan 7, 2020

Hmm, tough one it is really hard for me to pick any one as a favorite as that changes all the time.
    Fiction, probably Heart of Darkness, I also really enjoy many mystery series and will consume anything by Tony Hillerman or Craig Johnson, I also will read anything by Louis L'Amour or JRR Tolkien.
    Nonfiction, Something by Massie, Castles of Steel or Peter The Great; I have a soft spot for history books and old travel narratives. My personal area of expertise is Plains Indian Tribes so my personal library has a large section dedicated to this subject.