Forums Latest Members

What’d you do New Years Eve

1. Canuck Jan 1, 2020

I’ll start.

For some months we (my fiddle group) had been scheduled to perform on New Years Eve, at a seniors village in a small town about 50 kms west of here. I hate trying to find places I’ve never been to before, after dark. But we found it. We had been scheduled to play for 90 minutes, but with the proviso that we would play for longer if the chemistry was right. It was. We played for over three hours, with one short break. A livelier bunch we seldom perform for. We had them dancing and singing, and one of the residents who, at one time had a band of her own, joined us in a couple vocals.

Our group consists of three fiddles, one mandolin, one banjo, and four guitars. We play mostly reels, jigs, schottisches, polkas, waltzes, and classic country (I. e. Bob Wills). Four of the group intersperse with vocals. We played Auld Lang Syne at 10:30, packed up, and came home. I drove onto my parking pad at the stroke of midnight. Dam it was fun. And they fed us AND paid us, best of all. This was about as much fun on New Year's Eve as one can have.

Happy 2020 to all.

2. lillatroll Jan 1, 2020

Went for a run. Watched a bit of TV. My wife and I went to bed at 10 o clock but were woken up by the fireworks in the park next door. We are training to run a marathon so right now our weeks revolve around running; wind, rain, snow, time of the year etc... makes no difference we are sticking to our training schedule. I did have a few beers though, for medicinal purposes you understand. Hope everyone has a fantastic 2020 and may the watch gods be watching over you.

Edited Jan 1, 2020
    noelekal, Yak1, gostang9 and 4 others like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 1, 2020

I went to a seniors centre in the wilderness to see a kick-ass fiddle band

Just kidding ;)

We went to a nice hotel for drinks, dinner and live music. They make great nachos which we were looking forward to, when the server came by to ask “would you like free nachos?” So, 2019 ended on a fun note!

noelekal, gemini4, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  4. Deltatango Jan 1, 2020

We kept things simple. Bbq with family , lots of laughs and jokes. Got back to our place by 10pm to help our dogs stay calm with all the fireworks in the area.

noelekal likes this.
  5. GandOsDad Jan 1, 2020

I have 2 kids under the age of 5....I was in bed at 930

aap, noelekal, Togri v. 2.0 and 4 others like this.
  6. time flies Jan 1, 2020

REBUS puzzles ...or rather I tried

have fun
    kfw

DaveK likes this.
  7. mswilks Jan 1, 2020

Definitely wish we'd be able to join in on your event, as it sounds terrific. We went to something that ostensibly was to be a Roaring Twenties deal in which the band played ... wait for it ... Motown (that is not a typo).

It was enjoyable channeling the inner (comically aloof) Gatsbys (Gatsbies???) and seeing the Missus looking dandy in Twenties garb, though ...

[​IMG]

Edited Jan 1, 2020
  8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Jan 1, 2020

Spent time with my family. Had a beer. Reflected on 2019 and stayed up until 3:30 contemplating my future in 2020.

9. Canuck Jan 1, 2020

We played lots of tunes from the twenties and thirties as well. Many of the residents were younger than many of the members of our fiddle group. Three of our group are over 80, five in their 70s, and the baby of the group, late 60s. What a smashing couple you’d have made at the party. The unfortunate choice of music wouldn’t have pleased me, either. I’m sure you were good sports.

noelekal, mswilks and Yak1 like this.
  10. Canuck Jan 1, 2020

This just in, as they say in the news media. I knew pictures were taken last night. This one was just sent to me by our banjo player. I’m the tall fiddler in the back row.

68B826D4-1437-475B-A9F9-88C4143A1827.jpeg

tamura, alam, noelekal and 15 others like this.
  11. NEWT Jan 1, 2020

Was in bed at 11, got up at 1 and went home :rolleyes:

aap and Fritz like this.
  12. CPRwatch Jan 1, 2020

We spent most of the day travelling between Mum & Dads & my two daughters ( including the grandchildren ) to wish them all the best for the New Year . And then travelled back home 120 miles , I had big ideas of going out with Mrs CPR and seeing in the New year down the local . But by the time we got home I was happy to have a couple of drinks , listen to some music and went to bed at 10PM . I think middle age is growing on me ....

mswilks and Yak1 like this.
  13. Canuck Jan 1, 2020

Sounds like you enjoyed you New Year’s Celebation. (Oops, I meant celebration). Pun intended.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 1, 2020

We had a quiet New Years with sister and brother in law. Off to a Champaign based sailing party today. The hangover will be Jan 2.

aap and Yak1 like this.
  15. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 1, 2020

Congrats!

16. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 1, 2020

Back in high school "fiddler in the back row" had an entirely different meaning.

We played cards with friends in a church basement until we got tired and went home at 11:40... real hardcore party animals!

Today its making silver mice for the new motorcycle known as "Mouse", never hurts to tart up one's ride.

The ale helps steady the hand... no need wasting millimeter thick silver sheet!

P1020025.JPG P1020026.JPG

the brass one is the practice mouse to make sure the pattern was right.

Spruce, DaveK and Yak1 like this.
  17. Yak1 Jan 1, 2020

Another family came over, the kids played laser tag, we ate takeout Chinese, and everyone was in bed by 10pm. This morning we went for a phenomenal walk and a late breakfast. 2020 is starting off great. Still disappointed by the lack of true interstellar travel, flying cars, or transporters. I’m sure those will be knocked out in the next year.

DaveK and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  18. Shabbaz Jan 1, 2020

I went to the house in France with my girlfriend and our two kids, my two brothers with partners and their 5 kids, my father and mother and two dogs. From Amsterdam it's a 5 hours drive. In the afternoon we had duck with Kir Royal and a nice Gewurztraminer in Reims and in the evening we had a long dinner, movie and games at the house. Of course with more wine. Normally I give a party for 20 friends in Amsterdam and we have a shit load of fireworks. But this year we have a dog so the countryside works better for him. Still very nice though. Spending new year in France. Wish you all the best!

DaveK and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  19. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jan 1, 2020

My wife and I flew back home to NYC, from England, after visiting my family there for Christmas - and thanks to jet leg we were both asleep by 9 PM!

20. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 1, 2020

Me too, although I managed to stay up almost till midnight. The wife and I had decided to just stay home and relax, no stress, no guests. Had a nice dinner with a bottle of 22 year old Bruno Michel champagne (degorged in 2018) which was quite good, the kids ran around, the kids got tired and was put to bed, we had another bottle of champagne, saw a re-run of the 49’ers vs Seahawks game from Sunday and went to bed :D Perfect evening

Shabbaz likes this.