Forums Latest Members

Were these Seiko made Honda F1 models?

1. mountainunder Mar 7, 2021

These watches were sold in Japan in the 90's at the "Honda Official Wear & Goods Online Shop". They were probably manufactured by Seiko on behalf of Honda. That's why you can't see Seiko's name on it.

The Japanese on the warranty card and tag attached to the first watch is correct. The engraving on the movement shows that it was made at Seiko's Shiojiri factory.

The ebay seller of the second watch and the Japanese seller I linked to are different people.

Here is a link to information on these watches that have been traded in Japan in the past.
    https://aucfree.com/items/b326256501
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k478610514
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m475622254

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Honda's first F1 race was in 1964.

vitriol and duc like this.
  2. m neuman What, me worry? Mar 7, 2021

Here are a few Seiko ones ho6.jpg ho9.jpg o Examples

3. Silversix Mar 7, 2021

Very helpful, thank.

mountainunder likes this.
  4. Silversix Mar 7, 2021

Yea, i know of these two. They look very similar in styling to the first watch i posted, that's why i wanted to know if its a Seiko made watch or not.

5. vitriol Mar 7, 2021

But you need to know;
    1.) have they been made by Seiko, just not branded with 'Seiko' but branded 'Honda' for the internal use of the F1 Team?
    or 2.) if 1 is true - are they genuine or fake?

Re 2, well.. given how old and uncommon those watches are I think it will be very hard to find black or white answer. I see no red flags, everything looks crisp and those are genuine imo.

Re 1, I think they are Seiko made.
    Here:
    x1178498-0518c563a4dfd96a86aee6749f92ea3e.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fH0Qywkkbu.jpg

This number is case (reference) number. Tri-segmential number, just like Seiko numbers their cases.
    In Seiko those segments say:
    A is a movement cased in,
    B says the overall shape, style of the case, sometimes colour variation too,
    C says how glass is installed.

Yet, I have not seen any other manufacturer who uses a similar segments for case reference numbers.
    For me everything sums up into - "Seiko watch but branded Honda".

duc likes this.
  6. Silversix Mar 7, 2021

Interesting. I have seen some Ferrari watches made in the 80's by Cartier, and just like these Honda watches, there's no Cartier branding anywhere to be seen on the watch, manual or box.

[​IMG]

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2021

With this design, no wonder Cartier did not want their brand appear on here ;)

I havent found any Ferrari related watches with good design.......sigh....very unlike their cars.....

8. vitriol Mar 7, 2021

Hasn't Panerai made something for Ferrari too?
    Do you collect F1 themed watches btw?

Edited Mar 7, 2021
  9. Silversix Mar 7, 2021

I do not. I came across an old thread on reddit that had a Honda watch made by Seiko that i liked, so i've checked if there's any for sale, and these two are the few that i was able to find on sale. Curious about the other models that might've been made in the 90's, but its literally impossible to even find pictures of them.

10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 7, 2021

Girard Perregaux probably made the best looking Ferrari watches.

Dogmann likes this.
  11. Silversix Mar 7, 2021

Girard Perregaux are certainly not hiding their branding on the Ferri watches :)

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2021

They are not bad.... but IMO not as elegant as Breitling Bentley or JLC Aston Martin.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 7, 2021

the original posted watch is clearly a Seiko with a Seiko style model number, movement-case and the serial number clearly resolves correctly as a Seiko serial number and yields the production year and month.

14. LuckyLes Mar 7, 2021

I"ll drop out of this discussion, but there is a bit of a difference in the finish between the photos of the watch in question and the Seiko made one shown by m neuman. I would like to see a photo of the movement in the original Seiko watch.

15. Silversix Mar 7, 2021

Had this one years ago. I imagine it was a Seiko made model as well?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 8, 2021

Yes

17. Silversix Mar 8, 2021

I remember selling it for $35. I think its worth way more than that:eek:

18. Amg786s May 5, 2021

Love the look of the mushroom style chrono pushers on the first watch. Reminds me of the Porsche Design/ Eterna/ IWC models.