Forums Latest Members

Were Omega watches assembled in local shops during the 1950s?

1. Y.S. Mar 11, 2018

I was just wondering about that, after snatching the beautiful Omega ref. 2608 below.

I have been collecting vintage Omega pieces for about 5 years now, and currently hold only a small collection. With that said, I have probably gone through thousands and thousands of photos on the internet during the recent years. During my research, I have noticed that there are countless period-correct variations of vintage pieces, especially in the pre-Seamaster period, and came to a conclusion that small shops were probably buying cases, dials, hands and movements separately, and assembling them with some manufacturer guidelines. Does it make sense? I know that pocket watches were assembled this way in earlier times, and figured that that might have been the case with wristwatches during the 1940s-1950s.

I believe that the watch I have purchased about a week ago (still on its way) is completely original, since it is extremely crisp, and since the colors of the hands and markers fit perfectly. With that said, I couldn’t find any exact variation for comparison. I would have initially expected the hands to be a tad shorter, and end inside the inner circle of the dial, but noticed that every watch of this reference number had pertruding hands. I wonder if these type of pieces were assembled in stores back in the day. Your thoughts? Do you know of any recommended books or websites that could provide any specific information?

The photos were taken by the highly recommended seller.

A24C946E-A3A2-4B46-AC08-6FE07C09E4D4.jpeg 4F4ACB61-B9EC-493B-8A1A-A4C7F2B36AD1.jpeg 8B3AA5B9-E688-4118-9B97-F985DC5FD656.jpeg D6E91927-5BCE-4C5E-BCD8-054E38E0CD0A.jpeg
    red crowned and hang10 like this.
  2. jimmyd13 Mar 11, 2018

What makes you think that this was made outside of Switzerland?

The fab suisse on the dial indicates it was made in Switzerland for the French market; the case looks correct (and pretty sharp) for the reference (check here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/lets-see-some-30mm-manual-wind-omegas.1546/page-6 )

While I've not seen that dial and indices, there is plenty of variation and the handset is correct. Dial has age appropriate patina; applied logo centred nicely; the G looks a little off but that could easily be the glass as it looks better in the last photo than the penultimate.

There's no red flags screaming at me?

Foo2rama and Y.S. like this.
  3. Y.S. Mar 11, 2018

Yes, I wasn’t really questioning the authenticity of the specific watch, only wondering whether there was a period of time when these watches were sold to merchants in parts for local assembly (with pre assembled movements). Otherwise, it is perhaps somewhat difficult to explain the incredible amount of correct different variations for every reference number of that era.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2018

No they were not. But you are partly correct, however. For many decades they were sold to sub-entities such as the Norman Morris Corp., AKA Omega USA, who had the franchise in the US for Omega. Similar arrangements existed in other regions, such as South America. The Morris Corp would case some watch (Not all) movements themselves using US made cases, such as Jonell and Star. Morris came up with the name "DeVille". The casing was largely done for tax reasons. This did create the wide diversity of omega watches had you observed. The arrangement existed from 1946-1979, when Morris sold the franchise back to Omega. Norman M. Morris, died in Nov 1997, in Harrison, N.Y. He was 99.
    s-l16ad00.jpg elinox_4.jpg

izydor, Als 27, Shabbaz and 16 others like this.
  5. Y.S. Mar 11, 2018

Interesting. I have only previously read about Dennison gold cases - in Britain. I wonder what was the extent of the local assembly in other regions. It would initially make sense that Swiss made watches were mostly assembled in Switzerland at the time...

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 11, 2018

I have a Morris cased older redial.
    Love the case!

2.jpg

7. merchandiser Mar 11, 2018

Here’s an American-made 14K case back from a Seamaster De Luxe that I have:

85602257-DBA0-4739-A02D-AF0043E946F0.jpeg

Als 27, Waltesefalcon and Y.S. like this.
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 11, 2018

That's a Jonell case, that @cicindela referenced.

Y.S. likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 11, 2018

Dennison and Schackman made gold cases for Omega in Britain.
    The French made gold cases as well.
    This was to avoid the heavy import tax on precious metals.
    Whilst the cases were of equal weight and quality to the Swiss cases you can tell them apart by slight variations in the details.
    In Britain, certain case styles were still produced after Omega stopped producing them, most likely to meet local market demand.

Als 27 and Y.S. like this.
  10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 12, 2018

Als 27, noelekal, Y.S. and 1 other person like this.
  11. Kwijibo Mar 12, 2018

Some gold cases were indeed made by independant companies. Mainly gold filled or solid gold cases. Does that mean that Omega sent the movements and dials alone?

Edited Mar 12, 2018
    Waltesefalcon and Y.S. like this.
  12. Y.S. Mar 12, 2018

I was wondering the exact same thing.

13. Kwijibo Mar 12, 2018

I don't see many more alternatives.

14. Sherbie Mar 12, 2018

To the OP

I simply cant believe Omega sent out your watch with the handset you have on it now -all 3 hands are far too long, in my opinion

Cheers paul

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 12, 2018

Movement, dial, crown and hands ready to just slip in a case.

As said was mainly due to tariffs on gold.

SS was not affected, but many countries still made SS cases but not to the large degree that gold was and not 100% of all SS cases

French were the most regulated IIRC. There is a book on this, will have to find the title

Edit - book
    Manufacturing Time
    image.jpeg

Edited Mar 12, 2018
    Y.S. likes this.
  16. Y.S. Mar 12, 2018

I would like that very much, thank you.

I know that later models (such as pie pan Constellations) originally had hands that were not pertruding, but every two-tone model with 2608 ref. number I have found, had pertruding hands.

MaiLollo likes this.
  17. JBDinMad Mar 14, 2018

Hi All,
    At least in some countries Omega watches were put together even beyond the 1950s.
    At the shop here in Spain where I take my vintage watches to be serviced, the owner has shown me the metal molds with the Seamaster logo that were used in the shops to create the cases.
    Dials and movements were available and put together with the cases.

I do not have pictures of the metal molds but will try to get some the next time I stop by the shop.

Regards

18. Looneytoons Mar 16, 2018

Actually, that is the Canadian trademark for Jonell. I believe your watch was cased in Canada. See below:

US Jonell trademark
    Jonell_US-trademark742355.jpg

Jonell Canadian trademark

Jonell_CA-trademark_UCA42507.jpg

Als 27, Shabbaz and Waltesefalcon like this.
  19. merchandiser Mar 16, 2018

Great info, thanks for posting this!

20. slique12 Mar 16, 2018

Dennison also made SS cases for Omega. I used to own one.

555.jpg