Forums Latest Members

Were just talking about wedding preparations, before a vintage watch came out

1. savio.79 Apr 18, 2016

Hello everybody,
    this is my first and only thread in the "vintage" section, just because I'm not a passionate of vintage watches (please, don't ban me now!!!!).
    Last week I purchased a Speedmaster 57 9300 cal. (fantastic piece!) and posted a thread in the "modern" section.
    Some days ago, I was talking by phone with my next-to-be-wife's father, who is a person who never wears watches, and I was telling him about my new "baby" (we live hundreds of miles away), just for talking.
    What he said left me astound:

"Me too! I purchased a watch before wedding!
    It was golden, and I think it was....... no: I'm sure it was an Omega
    "

--------------- In my mind --------------
    WHAT?????? You don't like watches and you own by decades a golden Omega?????"
    -------------------------------------------

Model? "I don't know/remember"
    Year? "seventies"
    Does it have a "star" on the dial? "I don't know/remember"
    A space observatory or a Hippocampus engraved on the case back? "I don't know/remember"
    Worn on the Moon? "N...n...no, I've never been on the Moon! I'm not an astronaut!"
    Hurry up, send me some pictures, please!

Magic of WhatsApp (TM): now I am able to show you this watch.
    I know, "poor quality".... I'll reach the family next summer so I'll take better shots in the future.

I made a Google "search by image" but nothing, I can't find what model it is.
    I only guess it has Tritium indices and hands, giving the "T" nearby the "Swiss made" tag.
    Or maybe, "Geneve" is not the City, but the name of the model?
    But again, if I Google "Omega Geneve of the seventies" this model doesn't pop up.

I'm only curious to know what model it is.

I'm not interested in a value, because it's not mine, and my ntb-wife's dad doesn't want to sell it (but please, don't ask me why, since he doesn't wear it....)

...unless it is a sort of holy grail...... lol......

Thank you in advance.
    omega.jpg

OMGRLX and Taddyangle like this.
  2. lillatroll Apr 18, 2016

I think it is a Geneve 135.041 from circa 1970. This model was introduced in 1968 and was also available in stainless steel. It is probably gold plated. If the case back is Stainless steel then it is gold plated. If it is gold there will be a mark somewhere on the case

OMGRLX and savio.79 like this.
  3. savio.79 Apr 18, 2016

Thank you very much!
    So, the Genève models I found on the web were correct, but the prospective of my picture was awful so I didn't recognize them.
    Thank you again!

4. lillatroll Apr 18, 2016

I think it is a nice watch, not everyone s cup of chai but it has a nice tonnue case and would look good on a new leather strap after a trip to the watchmaker for a service and new crystal. Next step is to get your father in law to make it nice again. :)

savio.79 likes this.