Forums Latest Members

Welp, I'm part of the Speedmaster's club now

1. Audley Yung Oct 12, 2015

Finally found a 3570.50 in excellent condition with some nicely aging tritium patina :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but as beautiful of a watch it is and after wearing it for a few weeks, I feel that it's just not me. I know that sounds crazy. I think it's because i've only seen it in photos (the watch photographs beautifully) and became enamored by it without ever actually examining it in real life. In real life, the dial is a bit too cluttered for my taste, the watch a bit too thick and the chrono subdials are pretty hard to read.

[​IMG]

It's a beautiful watch and fits my wrists perfectly. Regardless of what my qualms are I will always love the Speedmaster and I hope wearing it a little longer will change my mind. I just think I'm more a simple dial kind of guy and I prefer slimmer watches. My first love was the Seamaster Pro 300m and I think i just gravitate towards the dive watch with a powerful, simple and bold dial versus one that has too many hash marks, sub dials, thin hands etc.

I gave my last Seamaster Pro 300m to my dad. If I can't get over the Speedmaster, than I'll most likely resell it to fund a Seamaster 2254.50

Don't be surprised to see this in the FS section soon!

Edited Oct 12, 2015
    Ramses, PatrickJ, flw and 3 others like this.
  2. Geo! Oct 12, 2015

Lovely watch!

Thirteen posts and a sale coming up? :)

Audley Yung likes this.
  3. Audley Yung Oct 12, 2015

haha what a coincidence!

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 12, 2015

You will find one you like ultimately. That's all part of it. :thumbsup:

Audley Yung likes this.
  5. Rockmastermike Oct 12, 2015

That tritium looks fantastic! Good luck with your search!

Audley Yung likes this.
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 12, 2015

Way to go, man! The watch looks freakin' fantastic!

Audley Yung likes this.
  7. falcon4311 Oct 12, 2015

Awesome Speedy, good luck with the sale...:)

Audley Yung likes this.
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 12, 2015

Nice watch, and I can relate. I have great admiration of Speedmasters and I've owned many over the years but for some reason I don't grab for them in the watch box very often. But I've also learned that I can't really be without one. Currently I have a FOIS, which gets less wrist time than it deserves but I know that if I sell it I'll be in the market for a Speedy not longer after. So I'm either keeping this one for a while or waiting until I see a Speedmaster I need more.

Audley Yung likes this.
  9. Audley Yung Oct 12, 2015

i agree, I feel like I want to keep the watch despite not choosing to wear it all that much...

Maybe I need a 145.022, it seems like the subdials for those are sunken in a lot more which adds some much needed depth to the dial. The downside of that is the lack of night time visibility. The tritium is still "ok" on mine with about an hours worth of glow. I'm pretty sure the 60's vintage ones have no functional lume anymore. I'm pretty practical so I want to tell time easily at night, and not just have a piece of history sit on my wrist. Gahh, we'll see!

I love how the bracelet tapers towards the end in the Speedmaster Pro though, that is one of my favorite parts of the watch. The old Seamaster Pro Bond bracelet was my favorite until now, it's been replaced by the 3570.50 bracelet. This is also another reason why I want the 2254.50, it's a seamaster with the speedy bracelet, albeit not tapered.

10. happytapy Oct 12, 2015

If you're thinking of retiring this spectacular SMP, there is a home for them here in Australia.

Just send it to me and I will get it a nice room with a view. [emoji12]. No charge to you for that service.

Audley Yung likes this.
  11. Serge Oct 12, 2015

Great watch! Enjoy!

Audley Yung likes this.
  12. TMas Oct 13, 2015

Funny, I was just thinking about the exact opposite trade this month, my 2254 for a Speedy. Toughie though, both are awesome.

13. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Oct 13, 2015

Your story is just like mine.
    I bought a Speedmaster and returned it a week later. It just wasn't me either.
    Seamaster Pro is my go to watch..

14. tegee26 Oct 13, 2015

Same feelings here. Had George find me a beautifully conditioned Speedy Pro 3572. Wore it for several weeks and just could not full in love with it. Was awe struck by all the fanfare regarding Speedies and loved all the pics here on the OF. Heck it even felt unbelievably comfortable on my wrist.

BUT I wasn't used to a manual wind (sorry I am an auto movement guy), I too was not crazy about the busy dial every time I check the time and I just am falling out of love with chronos in general. I like simpler dials, like a date function and really enjoy the big sweeping second hand move...call me crazy:).

The Speedmaster is a WONDERFUL timepiece steeped in history. It makes a very nice timepiece for many people and obviously has a cult like following. And would have most likely kept it for the fact that I could not tie up $3k for a watch I wore occasionally. It simply just didn't for me. Ended up flipping it at a slight loss to purchase a Panerai.

To that end, I still love my Planet Ocean LMLE and wear it as my daily wearer. Love Omega and still feel Omega is one of the finest brands out there in the respective price category. And will still be a loyal Omega fan.

FWIW.

Audley Yung and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 13, 2015

You might be on to something here.
    I have owned both new and vintage Speedmasters. All were traded along the way to getting my grail watch. Now I want a Speedmaster again. I have enough "funds" for a modern version, but I will hold out for vintage. Much of it has to do with the dial, with its sunken, textured sub-dials to its "step" cutting through the indices.
    Yes, lume will be dead on these, but if I must know the time in the dark, I give in to tech and glance at my phone.

16. Audley Yung Oct 13, 2015

do you mind if I ask what your current grail watch is, @TimeExposure? Thanks!

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 13, 2015

Well...my grail was this
    [​IMG]
    And I got it nearly a year ago. So if "grail" simply means "the next one," I'd have to say...umm...not sure? :)
    I made up a wish list here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-dream-list-pictures-but-wordy-as-ever.29392/
    In the "reality" as I see it today, I would save for the Daytona, find a VC Overseas and AP ROC to handle, then decide if I was going to trade the Daytona with cash for one of those two.
    Knowing me, I'll buy stuff along the way, but not sure I'll get into the $5k side (Omega '57 Co-Axial, Zenith Stratos, vintage Speedy 321) because there are not many on the secondary market yet, and I would likely have a helluva time finding a buyer without taking a huge hit when it came time to "move up" (except for the Speedy which would probably be the most "liquid.")

18. Audley Yung Oct 14, 2015

thank you TimeExposure, beautiful AP. All your future potential grail watches are on point, especially the Dayton, and especially if it's the black dial version. I agree with the liquidity of the Speedmaster also.

My grail watches are a bit more modest at this point. The Speedmaster was my grail watch, but now I'll probably replace it with a dive watch from either Tudor or another Omega.

19. repoman Oct 14, 2015

[​IMG]

PatrickJ and tpatta like this.
  20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 15, 2015

Of course, you already know Omega is a great choice. But I will admit, most of the Tudor dive watches are very attractive as well.
    I'm a sucker for the garden variety Rolex Submariner that everyone seems to have. But for now, I think I'll stick to chronographs!
    Your next grail will materialize in time. For now, enjoy the honeymoon with what is arguably a fine "exit" watch that cannot be bested!