Forums Latest Members

Well you learn somthing new every day...

1. Paul01 Dec 13, 2015

One thing we all have in common here is an appreciation of timepieces.

For me they represent an elegant functional device with highly accurate engineering feat on a macro scale, With just a dash of status Which are some of the reasons I chose the black Planet Ocean GMT I'm wearing now...

I'm by no means into horology or have any degree of knowledge past what I've learned through research on internet..
    Still remember my first watch, a Casio StarTrek digital thing I got at about 6. I still remember how it felt on my wrist now.

So last night I watched a docu film "The Watch Makers Apprentice" a master watchmaker George Daniels (apparently self taught) and the gentleman he apprentices..
    Now George looks at the traditional movement of a watch and says no no no.... I can do better, much much better and so he does... a number of years later he has it to perfection. What does he call the escapement ..... he names it the Co-Axial Escapement; "OMEGA call it theirs, well they would wouldn't they" he chuckles to himself having sold it to them (I look down at my wrist).....
    As on TV a chap from Christies shows us a Grand Complication piece by Daniels and to call it any thing else than a thing of total beauty and an actual work of art would be just wrong on every level. Every single component hand made, hand finished and hand fitted. It seriously looked like it had been born not made.

Its the constant ohh but I could of brought if id of just had another X amount, that really bugs me with watches.
    That kind of constant one-upmanship that is always possible no-matter whichever watch you purchase right up to and including Patek it seems.
    Just buy what suits your purpose and what pushes your buttons.

So what's on my wrist today... Ill tell you.
    A watch containing a movement originally designed and built by the greatest watchmaker of the last 250 years that's what......
    "I see your Rolex an ill raise you 10"... :)

Watch it and enjoy
    atb

Paul

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 13, 2015

I believe Rolex and a number of other companies evaluated the co-axial movement and lost interest because it was unreliable.
    Omega persevered with it and reduced the beat rate, but still had problems with lubrication.
    FWIW , I have read on more than one occasion that Mr Daniels copied someone elses idea.

3. PatrickJ Dec 13, 2015

Welcome to the forum Paul. Any nice pics of your watches you can share with us? :)

4. vinn2 Dec 13, 2015

welcome to the porum