Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

I have been waiting decades for this...

[​IMG]

First Canadian to win a Grand Slam singles title...and I think she will have many more in her future...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

fbf, veof, Screwbacks and 34 others like this.
  2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2019

Right on Canada !

3. Rochete Sep 7, 2019

Amazing match by Andreescu. Stunningly composed and focused in the face of crowd hostility and the fact of playing against a monster of the sport. She's a talent. Unlike Brouchard, an obvious fluke.

Archer likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Genie ended up getting very distracted by her own success. She made the semifinals of 2 grand slams in addition to reaching the Wimbledon final. That final was brutal to watch. She was going into the quarters I think at the US Open when she slipped and hurt herself in the locker room, and hasn’t been the same since.

I would love to see her make a comeback, because at her peak she was quite good.

In contrast, Bianca is fearless on the court. As a hacker tennis player even playing local tournaments, I know that to be able to swing freely is not easy. She seems to do it with ease no matter the situation, and that is rare in this sport...

5. Walrus Sep 7, 2019

Don’t know if you follow boxing but your guy Adonis Stephenson got seriously injured. I always liked him. He got serious brain damage in a match damn near killed him.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 7, 2019

Our Ash Barty has had a great year also, go the colonists. :thumbsup:

7. Canuck Sep 7, 2019

A winner in spite of the razzberries given her by the audience. Gutsy lady,

blufinz52 and Archer like this.
  8. Taybharr Sep 7, 2019

The most impressive thing about Bianca's win was she took it, Serena did not play poorly by any means, except for a low first serve percentage. Serena’s second serve is better than most first serves on tour. When Serena made her charge in the second set, it seemed like everyone expected Bianca to falter, and she held firm in impressive fashion. Tremendous mental toughness for a teenager.

As far as genie is concerned, unfortunately she seems to be concentrating more on her modeling career than her tennis.

Archer likes this.
  9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 7, 2019

Bianca is the real deal. She faltered a bit in the second set -understandable in view of the relevance of the moment- but prevailed to win over a rebounding Serena and hostile attendance. She's having an amazing year.

Nadal was amazing yesterday. Peerless.

10. Canuck Sep 7, 2019

I don’t watch tennis. But someone who does told me she apologized to Williams after the game was over.

apsm100 likes this.
  11. glownyc Sep 7, 2019

She apologized to the crowd saying she knew they wanted to see a Williams victory.

She is Canadian so she may have also apologized to Williams, to the ref, and to the ball boy. ;)

12. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 7, 2019

remember the scene in mystery alaska when little richard sings oh canada?...i do.

13. Rochete Sep 8, 2019

She did not apologize to Serena but to the crowd, a classy way of telling them up yours! Seconds before she'd said she was proud to how she dealt with everything. Crowd was extremely obnoxious even for US Open standards.

Mens F today... yay!

michael22 likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2019

Let's see if Medvedev can pull off a similar feat...

I saw him play at the Rogers cup last summer and his game has come a long way since then...I think he has a shot.

15. Rochete Sep 8, 2019

He has a shot, yep. I hope he doesn't though haha. Anyway, winning Nadal on a GS F isn't easy, only Federer and Novak have been able, apart from the AO F vs Wawrinka where he had to retire injured. Hope we have a competitive high quality match.

16. Rochete Sep 9, 2019

Well, we had the epic match I was hoping for. Also the result in my case hehe.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

Not the result I wanted, but I agree it was a great match. Yesterday before the match I was at a clinic for 2 hours playing, and the pros were asking everyone what they thought was going to happen. I said I really think Medvedev has a shot at beating Nadal, and they scoffed at that idea. The consensus was that he might take a set at best. I'll have to remind them of that next clinic.

I like the fact that Medvedev, for the most part, just goes about playing the game. Early in the tournament he had some antics, but then just played his game and kept winning without much drama. He doesn't give you too much idea if he's winning or losing, and to me that's all about focus. He doesn't make dramatic racquet swings, grunt every point, etc, and conserves energy during and between points. It's smart tennis.

I also like the fact that he plays quickly - it's sometimes torture watching a Nadal match because he takes soooo much time between points. I'm glad the umpire gave him a time violation early, and kept giving them. I do think he was allowing Nadal to hold up Medvedev's serve too much...

18. Rochete Sep 9, 2019

Medvedev won me over in that match. Focus, grit, killer instinct... he would've been a worthy champion too. I hope he win some slams in the future, he has what it takes. Best runner-up speech I can remember too.

Umpire was not up to the task IMO. He totally let crowd loose. You need to assure players are respected, he did not.

19. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 14, 2019

And those dastardly antipodeans just retained the Ashes in her Majesties homeland for the first time in nearly 2 decades ...

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 14, 2019

And Smith hasn’t got out making at least 50 In the last 10 innings against them.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Matty01 likes this.