Forums Latest Members

Well, now that I've bought it---how'd I do?

1. Watchguy31-us May 6, 2014

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 6, 2014

Well, the case HAS been polished and I'm not so sure the dial is original.

3. Watchguy31-us May 7, 2014

Thanks, XJR!

4. lenny May 7, 2014

Pretty sure that I have seen him sell things that don't quite look quite "right" without disclosing it in the ad.

5. Watchguy31-us May 7, 2014

Well, for 495 I think I did ok. I am in that infancy phase where a refinished dial isn't the end of the world. I'm more concerned with avoiding fakes and frankens

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 7, 2014

Certainly not a fake or franken. It does trouble me that the seller heavily implies in the ad that the dial is original ("Dial shows some aging, but looks lovely in its original state"). I think X350 is spot on there. I don't see the word "Swiss" on the dial. Virtually all LeCoultre watches had this on the dial. Crown is not original either.

But the price is not bad in today's market for an automatic LeCoultre.
    gatorcpa

7. Watchguy31-us May 7, 2014

That's gatorcpa! Just out of curiosity....what would be the "policy" on getting a new dial (old one that hasn't been refinished)? Would that further bastardize it, or lessen the blow? I see a ton of them out there for sale on chrono24....all around $100.00. I can live with the crown---I can't even locate what crown SHOULD be on the watch.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 7, 2014

Nothing wrong with getting a correct dial. Easier said than done, since there were many different cases made for these. Not all cases were the same size, so dials aren't either.

Also, there were a few movements used for the Master Mariners over the years. Again, not all dials are compatible with all movements.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 7, 2014

I bet you're going to like this watch. I've one in 18k and the watch sits up nice and high on the wrist. Gives the watch a more modern feel.

If you can find a good dial for ~100 bucks, I'd switch it out.

Here's what the original crown should look like:

image.jpg