Forums Latest Members
  1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2018

A watch dealer from Quebec City had a huge auction sale on eBay a couple of weeks ago. @ulackfocus alerted me by showing an auction for a ribbon lug IWC that he was eyeing (and later won). Started going through the about 500 listings this dealer had and came across a couple of UG Uni-Compax examples. The first one was the 37mm version, but had a wonky dial and broken chrono function, so that was a pass. However, in the next batch, there was a promising watch.

It's the smaller 35mm Ref. 12445, but this one has an original dial and was advertised as fully functional. To my surprise, the winning bid was about the same as the broken example. Better yet, that bid was mine!

Normally, I don't like to post a new acquisition until it actually arrives. Don't want to anger the watch gods. Unfortunately, our friend the squirrel tried to out me here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/post-your-universal-geneves.40710/page-44

Of course, there were complications with the delivery. Seller was a bit slow to ship (he had to ship 500 watches!). Then it got stuck in Customs for a few days. For some reason, I can get purchases from Germany and Australia cleared in 24 hours, but why does stuff from Canada always get held up? Then today, I received the email that the package was picked up by our office mail room manager, but when she returned...no watch. Tried to call the local PO, but that was an exercise in futility. Finally had to drive over and sure enough, the package was still there.

Here's the official unveiling picture:

[​IMG]

A bit of a surprise is that it is rose, not yellow gold. Dial is not perfect, but seems to be a good honest watch. Movement is very clean, but no service marks are evident inside the case.

[​IMG]

A tiny bit of chrono-creep on the minute counter, but every thing else is working fine. Now time to clean it up and fit some female spring bars and a black lizard strap.

Thanks for sticking it out with me.
    gatorcpa

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 7, 2018

Nice, I was watching that one along with several others from that sale. I was outbid on the only one I bid on and got busy/distracted and forgot to bid on some others.

I think the photos of many of those listings didn’t help the seller - they probably left some money on the table. My suspicion is that several buyers were/ will be pleasantly surprised when the watch looks better than the sellers pics. :thumbsup:

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2018

Oh, I don't know about that.

There was a $100K Speedmaster and $90K Rolex GMT-Master Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkin the auction.
    gatorcpa

Andy K, propervinyl and BenBagbag like this.
  4. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2018

Evan / gatorcpa does not like my routine of "WIN, POST, PAY" on eBay watches. ;) :p He doesn't understand that the Watch Gods have different rules when you're a moderator. It's the internet watch forum equivalent of being a war veteran: you get special treatment no matter how long ago you served.

That's always a nice surprise. A little post processing to account for poor lighting might have made this guy another hundred or two, but I agree with Evan - after the two hundred grand he made on 3 other watches I don't think he cared much.

Wow, that's in grade A shape! Two snaps up in a circle!

CheeryInnocentBengaltiger-size_restricted.gif

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 7, 2018

Yeah, those were going to find buyers with any photos, but the white balance and harsh angles on many listings made it tough to tell what was a tired watch vs. harsh lighting.

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 7, 2018

True, a few hundred grand does soften the blow a bit! :D

STANDY likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2018

8. bgrisso Jun 8, 2018

The mint dial is nice, but I think I like yours just as much

merchandiser likes this.
  9. Dan S Jun 8, 2018

I remember seeing that on eBay, and I definitely didn't expect it would be rose gold. That's a really nice bonus.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 8, 2018

Lovely patina. Gotta love a Uni!

11. Radiumpassion Jun 9, 2018

Nice watch!

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 9, 2018

Could you post a case back pic? Inside and out?

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 9, 2018

Ask and ye shall receive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gatorcpa

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 9, 2018

Missing a bezel?

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 9, 2018

No. It’s there.

Trust me. ;)
    gatorcpa

ulackfocus and Larry S like this.
  16. bimbim1207 Jun 11, 2018

looks great! would love to have a rose gold, too :) dibs

17. chronoboy64 Jun 12, 2018

great watch, huge congrats and wear in good health :thumbsup:

gatorcpa likes this.
  18. Dan S Dec 15, 2018

This seller is at it yet again; it's the third time this year he is selling hundreds of watches. Where do they come from?

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 15, 2018

My guess is they are the Canadian equivalent of Kravit Estate Buyers. They likely put ads in local newspapers to buy watches, coins, stamps, paper money and sports collectibles from people looking to dispose of estates in bulk.

Have cash, will travel.
    gatorcpa

PS - There’s several items in this batch that I’m “watching”.

20. Dan S Dec 15, 2018

Me too. Not only as a potential buyer, but also to get help value my own watches. These massive sales are like snapshots in time.