Well, I never……..

In a circuitous route, a lady from Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory contacted me regarding her grandfather clock which had developed a problem. Whitehorse has a population of about 28,000 and there is nobody there who knows beans about clocks. So after a number of fumbling attempts to shepherd her along to try to deal with the problem, we gave up. We agreed that there were several solutions. She ships me the entire grandfather clock, she pays for a round trip by air for me, (plus hotel), or her friend in Whitehorse might be of assistance. She has a contact at a rock shop in Whitehorse who knew a bit about clocks, and we arranged a day when he could be at her place to attempt a solution. I was to phone her that day.

I had lunch with a friend a few days ago, and told him about this. He suggested this might be a great opportunity to avail myself of Face Time! The lady and I ironed out a few kinks by email, and our Face Time session was arranged.

The day arrived and we were connected over Face Time with her friend in Whitehorse. It took a while, but since I had a scrap clock here that is the same as hers, we ironed out one problem with my tutelage and a deft adjustment to the gathering pallet on the strike train. Then we found there is a second problem with the strike train that was beyond her friend’s level of skill. Turns out he has only ever dealt with battery clocks!

I just got a phone call from her to say she has the clock packaged, and it leaves Whitehorse on Wednesday, by air. She will ship the movement only, It should be delivered here by Friday. I’ll deal with the problem, trial run it, and ship it back by air.

Dam! I’ve never been to Whitehorse, and I just missed an opportunity! (Kidding)!

Like 22
Just to confirm : She ships the complete Grand Father clock to you ????

You likely read my post before I edited it to add that she was shipping movement and weights only. Her contact in Whitehorse was able to use my Face Time views of my scrap clock, to get the woman’s clock out of the case. We’ll use Face Time again when they get the clock back, to fit it into the case again.

Like 4
Pretty sure if you live in Whitehorse the idea of shipping a clock out of the territory to get it fixed is considered normal.

Yep, that would have been an epic trip. Fly to Vancouver BC then a short 2400 km drive up the Alcan to Whitehorse. Who knows, maybe there's a bunch of clocks along the way that need some love.

Like 3
Pretty sure if you live in Whitehorse the idea of shipping a clock out of the territory to get it fixed is considered normal.

Yep, that would have been an epic trip. Fly to Vancouver BC then a short 2400 km drive up the Alcan to Whitehorse. Who knows, maybe there's a bunch of clocks along the way that need some love.

The woman who owns the clock, owns the Toyota dealership in Whitehorse, but she also owns a chunk of the airline that services Whitehorse. The airline is named Air North, and it flies mostly Whitehorse, Edmonton, Calgary. So had a trip happened, it would have been a direct flight. They have 4 Boeing 737-500s, so it is a serious airline. It is called The Yukon’s Airline. I had imagined I’d be flying on a DC-3! Thank Heaven for Face Time! And I am not so hungry for clock business that I’d go to the ends of the earth (or Whitehorse for that matter) for it. I am a watch guy, not a clock guy.

Like 4
The woman who owns the clock, owns the Toyota dealership in Whitehorse, but she also owns a chunk of the airline that services Whitehorse. The airline is named Air North, and it flies mostly Whitehorse, Edmonton, Calgary. So had a trip happened, it would have been a direct flight. They have 4 Boeing 737-500s, so it is a serious airline. It is called The Yukon’s Airline. I had imagined I’d be flying on a DC-3! Thank Heaven for Face Time! And I am not so hungry for clock business that I’d go to the ends of the earth (or Whitehorse for that matter) for it. I am a watch guy, not a clock guy.

I guess the clock will fly first class!

Like 2
Hmmm..... , maybe a bit of bartering ? Accept as payment a new model Toyota Landcruiser....

Like 3
it sounds like quite the adventure with that lady from Whitehorse and her grandfather clock! It's amazing how technology like FaceTime can bring people together, even when they're miles apart. It's great that you were able to help her with some of the clock issues, and it's understandable that the second problem was beyond her friend's expertise. But hey, at least you'll have the opportunity to fix it now that she's shipping the movement to you. Who knows, maybe one day you'll have a chance to visit Whitehorse and explore the beautiful Yukon Territory!

Like 1
Great story, a helping hand is only a face time away

it sounds like quite the adventure with that lady from Whitehorse and her grandfather clock! It's amazing how technology like FaceTime can bring people together, even when they're miles apart. It's great that you were able to help her with some of the clock issues, and it's understandable that the second problem was beyond her friend's expertise. But hey, at least you'll have the opportunity to fix it now that she's shipping the movement to you. Who knows, maybe one day you'll have a chance to visit Whitehorse and explore the beautiful Yukon Territory!

Her clock leaves Whitehorse on Wednesday, by Air North (she’s a shareholder), and will be delivered to me on Thursday by Air North’s local courier. The problem I have to solve will involve less than 1/2 hour, but while it is here, I’ll set it up on a test stand and run it for a week or so. She’s had the clock for 10 years, so I suspect it will only require a lube job. I’ll probably remove one train wheel from the strike train of her clock, and replace it with the equivalent wheel from my scrap clock. At one time, she was prepared to fly me, return, from here to Whitehorse and back (round trip just under $1,000 by Air North), and to put me up in a hotel (~$150), total with GST plus meals, close to $1,300 total. I plan on charging her my usual hourly rate for the two times I’m on Face Time, plus repair time, plus packaging and handling. Her contact in Whitehorse will re-assemble the clock with my help on Face Time. There’ll be a cost for his services, I’m sure. So she’ll likely end up getting her clock fixed for HALF what she was prepared to pay! Such a deal!
Edited:

Like 6
Her clock arrived here in early December, safe and sound. My diagnosis of a missing pin on the strike side fourth wheel was correct. I removed the wheel and fitted a new steel pin and riveted it. I also “freshened” the 10 year old movement with a topical clean and lubrication. I ran it on my test stand for two weeks with a dummy pendulum. I functioned well. I wrapped the movement for protection, wrapped the three weights, boxed it, and emailed her anout 5 days ago so she could arrange the return by air to her business in Whitehorse, Y T.

I just got an email from her this evening that she has her clock back, and arrangements have been made that she will Face Time me on Monday afternoon at 3:00 pm (same time in Calgary) when her friend there is at her place. We should have the clock back in place by about 4:00 pm, and she’ll have it for Christmas. Done and dusted!

This is one clock job I’ll never forget!

Like 13
I have an Ansonia movement about 100 years old and every now and again the strike jumps by one, so that at the next half hour, the clock strikes the hour.

Could I pack it up and send it to you?
;)

Or more sensibly, what could be the problem (I haven't done any investigating yet).

@JimInOz

A common problem with count-wheel strike Connecticut clocks. Viewing the tactical challenges you undertake that you regularly post on the message board, I am astonished that you haven’t figured out the problem yourself! Next chance I have to work on a clock like yours, I’ll take two or three pictures of what to look for to solve the problem.

@JimInOz

A common problem with count-wheel strike Connecticut clocks. Viewing the tactical challenges you undertake that you regularly post on the message board, I am astonished that you haven’t figured out the problem yourself! Next chance I have to work on a clock like yours, I’ll take two or three pictures of what to look for to solve the problem.

I know I've been putting it off and my procrastination is probably due to my fear of unconfined mainsprings.
At least when the danger is contained in a barrel the risk of being slashed to death is substantially reduced.
Handling those coils of razor edged power held captive by nothing more than a large C clip is something I avoid if I can.

I await your advice.

Like 1
I know I've been putting it off and my procrastination is probably due to my fear of unconfined mainsprings.
At least when the danger is contained in a barrel the risk of being slashed to death is substantially reduced.
Handling those coils of razor edged power held captive by nothing more than a large C clip is something I avoid if I can.

I await your advice.

Since your problem is intermittent, any adjustments that might be necessary likely will be simple, not involving exploding mainsprings if the plates had to be spread. If the clock was on my bench, the adjustment might involve a minute or less.

Like 1
Great memories from an interesting job in the Yukon. Thanks for sharing.

This old licence plate is my only piece of the Yukon

IMG_0513.jpeg

Like 2
I have an Ansonia movement about 100 years old and every now and again the strike jumps by one, so that at the next half hour, the clock strikes the hour.

Could I pack it up and send it to you?
;)

Or more sensibly, what could be the problem (I haven't done any investigating yet).

Well, fly him into Australia. It's Summer here anyway ...

Like 1
I've heard of "going the extra mile".
Now I understand !

Happy Holidays, Doug, you are always most helpful.

Like 3
Hmmm..... , maybe a bit of bartering ? Accept as payment a new model Toyota Landcruiser....
Or an elk hide?

Like 2