Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Jul 5, 2014

Old and Vintage likes this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 5, 2014

Indeed - our chief weapon is surprise

spanish_inquisition4.jpg

UG has a history of crypto-enthusiasts. I think only a very few have come out of the woodwork with the establishment of this forum. There are more out there.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 5, 2014

And fear. Our chief weapon is surpise and fear.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 5, 2014

And don't forget the Comfy Chair!

[​IMG]

gatorcpa

5. ELV web Jul 5, 2014

There may be still plenty of crypto-enthusiasts out there lurking in camouflage since this forum went live. But I think even bigger (perhaps even much bigger) in proportion are someone like me who stumbled upon UG forum and became totally crazy. I went from 0 earlier this year before I first read the forum in early feb to 1 lady sub, 1 tri-compax, 1-compax and 1 aero-compax.... (And surely still growing). I was quite happily damaging my financial health in the process and would like to propose a Sunday morning toast to that :p

image.jpg
    Gavin and Diabolik like this.
  6. Diabolik Jul 6, 2014

Happy with the toast but unsure of the brew .... What the heck is it (looks like a weird milky concoction).

about some of this my grandmother made instead?

[​IMG]

7. ELV web Jul 6, 2014

Your grand mother's sure is a killer, mine is just good old milk :) nothing fancy. In this part of the world we also tend to order capuccino after dinner :)

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 7, 2014

So what do all the crypto-enthusiasts do when the UG needs parts? This is what scares me from an otherwise high-grade/below the radar watch!
    I've had some beautiful UG's that I sold more or less out of fear of needing parts in the future. Just a few weeks ago I was ready to swear off vintage altogether. Then Dennis "ulackfocus" tosses out an IWC caliber 8541 from the 60's...and a cheap Corum from another guy, and an old AP today. CRAP! Just a sucker for high grade, low demand vintage I guess...

9. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 7, 2014

Blake at scotchwatch is good for parts for these, and UG are still supplying vintage parts to him, when they have them that is

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 7, 2014

They scrounge like everyone else. Just think that their chances are better than those of owners of modern Omegas (and other brands) after the manufacturer artificially cuts off parts supply in a few months. Better to have to hunt for spares in an open market than to know that there are bins and bins of parts, but you can only get at them by paying extortionate prices to the manufacturer.

When I was still mucking around with British sports cars, parts were a significant problem, the companies and their successors having gone under many years prior. When the demand rose enough, someone would bang out a run of replacement parts for the slavering crowd. If that was done for vintage cars, will it be much harder to do for vintage watches...when the demand rises enough? Why Diabolik himself obliged just earlier this year regarding a Space Compax pusher assembly. Just let the vintage watch community continue to grow, communicate and organize.

PM me if the concern for parts availability drives you to move any nice pieces:D

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 7, 2014

Maybe both of you encouraged me to put UG back on the radar?
    Man, I am SO easily distracted from the grail...

Old and Vintage likes this.