Forums Latest Members

Well, an Admiral fell into my hands

1. Moeris May 6, 2014

I guess it's time for me to post my first thread.

To make a long story short, a collector gave me this Admiral yesterday. As far as I know, this watch originally came on a bracelet--hence the lugs--but I did some searching, and it seems some of you have fitted leather straps. Do you have any recommendations for me? :)

As for the watch:

[​IMG]

It's a presentation watch dated to 1973, but it could be a little older. I think it has a cal. 505 inside, but if not, feel free to correct me. When it's in for service, I'll pull the serial and see what Longines can tell me about it.

If anyone wants to know the story behind this Admiral, here's a blurb, which was my response to a WUS member who wanted to know who gave me the watch:

Thanks, guys!

2. cristos71 May 6, 2014

Nice watch and an extremely nice story. Sounds like a true gent :)

Moeris likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 6, 2014

Can't beat the price! ;)

It's definitely a 50x of some sort. Nice movement based on the Record 195x series.

4. Northernman Lemaniac May 6, 2014

I guess you should look at "open ended" leather straps in order to fit them on the solid lugs. That one will not be ok on a "NATO" strap;) (even for an Admiral)!
    In this style perhaps: http://www.thewatchprince.com/de-beer-open-end-crocodile-black-20mm
    (You must of course make sure it fits before ordering anything like it!!)

5. Dablitzer May 6, 2014

I had one of these with the same lugs, intergrated bracelet, nice watches indeed!

6. Moeris May 7, 2014

:thumbsup:

Excellent! Thank you! No NATO straps here!

It sure seems to be a hardy watch, despite needing service. It was still running when I got up for work this morning. He must have wound it all the way up.

7. CdnWatchDoc May 17, 2014

That story is great! Someone who has spent much of his life amassing an incredible collection, and obviously appreciates your interest as well as your knowledge...a special gift indeed!! I agree with Northernman, a nice crocodile in either black or brown (golden or honey brown) would look good here. Would love to see more pics of this one when you get a chance to post.

8. timeismoney May 17, 2014

Here's a toast to that guy! Thanks for sharing your story, a nice anecdote to the thread on Swatch cutting off supplies to the external distributors.

9. Moeris May 23, 2014

Will take some additional photos this weekend! But the watch likely won't be on my wrist for quite some time. I haven't gotten a response from the watchmaker I had hoped would service it, so the search for a trustworthy watchmaker continues!

10. Moeris May 26, 2014

As requested, better photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 28, 2014

Sorry I somehow missed your original post.
    Tugs the old heart strings to hear such a lovely story and of course the "Admiral" sets it off :thumbsup:

JohnSteed and Moeris like this.
  12. Moeris Jun 9, 2014

13. NT931 Jun 10, 2014

Lovely dial! And a great story !