Forums Latest Auctions Members

Week 6 2014 - One straight and one twisted INCOMING!

1. Northernman

Northernman Feb 1, 2014

OK. I have to admit that collecting watches often have led me to go waiting for the mailman go deliver the "pick up" note.
    This week it is all times high and climax. Numbers: 165.024 and 105.003 incoming...... I feel blessed!

Lug Time!

Stay posted!
    ::psy:: ::jumpy:: :whistling:

Twisted:

Lugs.jpg

And straight:
    IMG_6081.JPG

2. Time Exposure

Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 1, 2014

I LOVE INCOMING-TEASE TORTURE! Guess that makes me Twisted too!

Can I pre-Dibs the straight lugs? Just askin'...

Northernman likes this.
  3. Gavin

Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 1, 2014

2 of my favorites in the Omega family. Do show more.

4. Northernman

Northernman Feb 2, 2014

I will show more. The twisted one comes from a straight gentleman and distinguished kilt wearing member. It has been seen quite frequently in here earlier.
    The straight one has a more twisted background but have had some work done to it to ensure it is at least closer to its original state than before.
    A stepped dial with matching hands + a dot over 90 bezel is still on the wish list.
    As I am primarily a collector by caliber/movement type I will not really have any issue with the service items that is now used on the watch, but time may open further opportunities!
    The 321 was one of the "big" gaps in my chronograph collection. It will be in "good company"; and be worn with pride!
    :cool:

IMG_6080.JPG

JohnSteed and Alpha like this.
  5. Northernman

Northernman Feb 5, 2014

So, as the tracking app on the iPhone finally revealed to me that my "new" Speedmaster 105.003 was ready to be picked up this morning it took about 45 minutes before the parcel was in hands.
    It has been an interesting journey so far. I had kind of promised my self a decent 321 based Speedmaster some day.
    Late last year a fresh member posted the typical "what do I have here" post. And behold was a very sad 105.003. Professional dial, wrong crown, bezel and the wrong bracelet together with a sad movement.
    What to do? My budget was not prepared to take the beating inflicted by a mint vintage one, and I am really a caliber based collector, and is really not that religious when it come to serviced parts.
    After getting a quite proper trashing for what he had put forth onto the forum pages, the guy came back and made me an offer to buy it. I had actually tried to be a bit supportive, and at least (as thanks) he wanted to make a fair deal.
    The deal was done, and the watch went across the UK to Christian at Watchguy.co.uk (click link to see the service blog post).
    IMG_5011.jpg

Now, in order to restore a bit of authenticity to the watch, still without breaking the piggy bank, I had to consider what road to take ahead. 4 steps came up:
    1) The dial had to be replaced. However a vintage one costs an arm and a couple of legs, so a "correct" service dial it was. GBP130 shipped to Christian.
    2) The crown needed to be changed (I dig the larger one!!). A member here had a solution to this, and it came in at a very reasonable forum discount. (Asking price was GBP95 I will say no more).
    3) The case lid was badly worn and had an engraving chisseled with a blunt axe at some point in time. Thomas Preik had a crystal(display back on sale. GBP90 later and it was heading for Christian as well.
    4) It needed a proper movement service and cleaning. GBP260 with parts. Thank you Christian!!!

So where does it leave me? The bracelet it came with should be correct (with altered end pieces) for my Seamaster SM300, and the dial it came with will be up for grabs. A new strap has been ordered (due for delivery sometime later this week). I prefer straps for a daily wearer, and this one will see use (a lot!). http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/mocha/

All in all a 105.003 at a decent cost, and ready to be enjoyed!

So why a 105.003? Many reasons may be said, but key reason is that I think they are soon to be very hard to find for several reasons:
    - This is THE NASA watch to have (IMO). It was a 105.003 that was actually qualified for Space back in 1965.
    - It was the first watch to be worn in space by NASA (Hence the name Ed White after the astronaut who wore it on the first space walk in 1965).
    - It was worn by the last man who have stood on the surface of the moon in 1972.
    - It holds a caliber 321. In my humble opinion the finest basic chronograph design ever. Thank you Lemania!
    - 2015 will be the 50th anniversary for the first watch in space. Will Omega let this go by without some noise? I guess not!! And will this do something to the urge for owning "the original" watch??? Most certainly.

If someone has not gotten it yet: I am a happy man today!
    ::psy:: :D ::love::

(Later this week a story about a twisted SM300).

image001.jpg
    Back.jpg

6. cristos71

cristos71 Feb 5, 2014

It looks great, especially the 321 with the display back. Fantastic! I have one too on my 145.012 and love it:thumbsup:

Northernman likes this.
  7. Northernman

Northernman Feb 26, 2014

Received the extract from Omega archives today... Interesting read as Omega confirms my 105.003 to have been produced in January 1968! That must have been quite late in the production series as they are not listed in the catalogs after 1965 to my knowledge?!
    Delivered to the UK, ref 105.003 and I am a happy man!::psy::

8. Northernman

Northernman Feb 26, 2014

Pahawi likes this.
  9. Time Exposure

Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 26, 2014

We're cousins! My non-Pro was mfg 11/67 for delivery to the UK, according to the Omega Extract.

Love your band BTW!

10. Time Exposure

Although your chrono hour register hand gives me the creeps ;)
    Wasn't this just serviced? Needs a thingamajig on the whatchamacallit to keep the hour hand from creeping. (I'm no repair guy...)

11. Northernman

Northernman Feb 26, 2014

I saw that.. It is not creeping, but I had not pushed the reset "all in". My bad! ::shy::

Time Exposure likes this.
  12. Time Exposure

...been there

Northernman likes this.
  13. JohnSteed

JohnSteed Feb 26, 2014

Northernman - Everything to love about the story. Amazing journey!

Well Done!!

Northernman likes this.
  14. speedy4ever

speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Feb 26, 2014

January 1968 is not late, because produced until 1969

Northernman likes this.
  15. JohnSteed

JohnSteed Feb 26, 2014

Hi there. Book update, please?

16. speedy4ever

speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Feb 26, 2014

No update, from our publisher the date has not changed: May

JohnSteed likes this.
  17. SpikiSpikester

SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2014

The 105.003 is in the 1967 UK catalogue.

18. Northernman

Northernman Mar 1, 2014

I love this forum! Learn something new every day!
    Looking forward to see the new Speedmaster book. Reading up on various web pages provides very inconsistent information.
    :thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.