Forums Latest Members
  1. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 15, 2017

This has been sitting dead in a corner for ages. Its an H&H made in France some time ago, (1890s?) I know nothing more (and if anybody can shed light on this thing, speak up!)

Anyway, bored, sunday afternoon, winter in Canada (not going outside to play).... apart it must come!

Ten minutes of picking about later and it's little platform escapement is ticking away happily.

Straight line lever, never messed with one of those before, lots of nice ruby, and a few diamond, jewels... nice stuff.....

P1020859.JPG P1020861.JPG P1020862.JPG P1020866.JPG P1020865.JPG

Vitezi, Mad Dog, Lukeeesteve and 4 others like this.
  2. Kwijibo Feb 7, 2017

would need service nop?

3. Lukeeesteve Feb 7, 2017

it always amazes me how watch and clock makers managed to make such intricate parts back then.

Interesting piece.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 7, 2017

silly thing is keeping time to about a minute a week..... not bad!

Alpha and Mad Dog like this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 8, 2017

Confess I have started to pay more attention to clocks lately and some real beauties around at not a lot of cash.
    Reckon my jacket would be on a shoogly nail if I started on clocks after reducing on watches ;)

6. Vitezi Feb 8, 2017

Needed a translation: :)

Scottish National Dictionary (1700–)

SHOGGLE, v., n. I. 1. Add to defin.: Also vbl.n.
    Hence Add Phr.: yer jaiket/coat's on a shooglie hook/nail/peg, You are in a precarious position, you are likely to lose your job.

Gsw. 1988 Michael Munro The Patter Another Blast 36:
    jaiket ... The phrase of warning 'your jaiket's on a shoogly nail' is an indication that your position is not as secure as you might think; if you don't watch your step you might be out of a job.

Sc. 1994 Daily Record 26 Jan 52:
    And if they send the Premier side tumbling out of the tournament, Smith knows Ivan Golac's coat would definitely be on a shoogly peg.

Sc. 1995 Herald 1 Jun 11:
    When it was all over, SNP leader Alex Salmond, said it had been an enormous moral victory for the small shareholders and a massive snub for the leadership of British Gas. “My message to Giordano and Brown is change course,” he added. “As we say in Scotland, their jaickits are on a shooglie nail.”

Sc. 1996 Herald 12 Mar :
    The rules are simple. A list is compiled of well-known people whose jaikets are on a shoogly nail lifespan-wise. The names are allocated in a raffle and when someone on the list shuffles off the holder of the winning ticket takes all.

Sc. 1998 Scotsman 19 Feb 27:
    Out from under a tobacco cloud IT IS perhaps just as well that the Prime Minister and the Chancellor have finally removed Eddie George’s jacket from its shoogly nail at the Bank of England.

Sc. 1998 Daily Record 11 Sep 71:
    He needs to turn his team round very soon or a reputation principally based on his playing days at Aberdeen will not be robust enough to protect his jacket from the cruel end of the shoogly nail.

Sc. 1999 Herald 21 August 18:
    If, as is now trumpeted in The Herald's editorial line, the entire fabric of country life and "thousands" of jobs are dependent on fox-hunting I would suggest that their coat is on a shoogly hook!

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 9, 2017

Wondered if anyone would pick up on that one :)

We used it a lot when working and reckoned someone was about to 'get their jotters' or contract terminated.

Sometimes think I am becoming like something from a bygone age :(

Vitezi likes this.