Forums Latest Members

Wedding present equals new expensive hobby

1. jamsxr Jan 5, 2019

I’ve always been a fan of nice watch but still being in my early 30’s, until now, buying a house and loosing money on motorcycles has always come first. I’ve got an automatic Tissot and a G-shock that have served me well for the last 6 years.

My wife kindly decided to buy me a Speedy as a wedding present and I love the thing. It’s a Broad Arrow Co-Axial Chronograph 42mm with 3313 movement, made in 2013, the year we met.

Now I understand form doing my research the 3313 doesn’t seem the most popular/reliable movement, I’m hoping that I’ve got the 3313C movement but I need to check that out.

Bearing in mind I’m new to the world of sophisticated watches, other than don’t rest my watch on a magnet, keep it clean, etc.. I’m keen to receive any other tips or words of advice for a would-be watch owner.

Unbeknown to my wife she may have kicked off a new hobby.....

Thanks
    James 3B64D2FD-A840-4C3B-B1EF-4DB38FA3885F.jpeg

mistexbs, adi4, pault8084 and 13 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 5, 2019

Just wear it and get it serviced every 5 years.

Now log off and never come back, this hobby will Cost money. ;)

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 5, 2019

I have one of those in silver, it’s a great watch. There isn’t a really collector following for the 33x3 Speedmasters yet, which is weird since some idolise a 1980s Speedmaster with a much more agricultural auto movement but don’t let that lessen your enjoyment. Everything from the pusher feel to the higher beat rate feels that bit more special than the regular Mooneatch on these, and I speak as someone with Pre-Moon Speedmaster models too. The movement really is a very high end design.

If you have a loupe, the movement spec can be seen stamped under the balance wheel. These have a sapphire back so it should be pretty easy.

Edited Jan 5, 2019
    nonuffinkbloke, Speedy2254 and jamsxr like this.
  4. jamsxr Jan 5, 2019

I’ve master the art of man maths so it shouldn’t cost me too much ;)

noelekal, KingCrouchy, mancio and 4 others like this.
  5. CPRwatch Jan 5, 2019

Welcome & a friendly word of warning .This watch collecting lark is addictive , you only end up looking for your next fix .;)

redzer007 likes this.
  6. 104RS Jan 5, 2019

Congrats on your marriage(gift) and catching the watchvirus, enjoy!

7. JamieG Jan 5, 2019

Statements like this should always be countered with “compared to what?”

KstateSkier likes this.
  8. jamsxr Jan 5, 2019

Motorcycles as a hobby. Man maths means you can twist numbers to ensure your next purchase makes perfect sense.

9. JamieG Jan 5, 2019

Welcome to the forum. You’ll fit right in with that logic. LOL. ;-)

It’s a slippery slope, I started with three watches, I now have 20+ and keep looking for the next “one”

At least you can keep them fairly secret when required. An extra bike in the garage is a lot more difficult

10. Cipolla Jan 5, 2019

Welcome and enjoy your new hobby. So much beautiful outside, so no worry your new hobby becomes boring.

jamsxr likes this.
  11. jamsxr Jan 8, 2019

Had my watch over a week now and I’m really enjoying it, however, it is loosing 11 seconds a day which seems a little excessive.

It’s got a Watchfinder warranty so sending it back to them was my first port of call, or maybe I should just go straight to Omega, but obviously that will cost. I was hoping I could run it for a good few months before getting it serviced.

Any guidance to the best course of action would be appreciated.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 8, 2019

That isn't great to be fair, 11s gain would be better as you could hack the watch occasionally to correct it but a loss is annoying. These aren't trivial to regulate, they have a free sprung balance with micro stela (sp?) screws which need to be balanced when adjusted ie you need to know what you are doing. WF could probably do it right but not everywhere will be able to do it justice. If you need a service it is likely Omega only on those, many including Swiss Time Services won't touch them. I would avoid a cut price option due to the unique escapement and parts availability issues.

jamsxr likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2019

STS won’t service these? Little surprised to hear that. Not much different than the 3301 or 3303, just with co-axial added.

Anyway, not microstella screws, as those are a Rolex thing. These are square headed screws that use a specific Omega tool for adjustment.

Cheers, Al

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 8, 2019

Nope, my 3313 is currently with OSC Southampton, STS are my go to guys for modern stuff but they can't or won't do the 3313 stuff, possibly at the instruction of Bienne like with the 321 etc. They will do the 2500s though so I don't think it is specifically a Co-ax issue. Oh another thing that may surprise you is that OSC specifically said they no longer upgrade the 3313 A or B to triple layer C spec. You send A or B, you get back A or B but serviced. Perhaps it is Bienne only who still do the routine upgrade. I will be checking what is written under the balance when it comes back though just in case the people I spoke with got their wires crossed on this.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 8, 2019

I love my 3313. By far the majority have no issues.

62B2EA40-D287-4963-BAC3-FC93C2BDC137.jpeg

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 8, 2019

Love mine too:

[​IMG]

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2019

There’s no “Bienne only” restriction on the 3313...so maybe they are just not comfortable with these. The instructor I had at Omega said that not too many people work on this family of movements for some reason. Personally I don’t mind working on them at all.

Muddlerminnow and padders like this.
  18. jamsxr Jan 8, 2019

Thanks for the input guys.
    I’m gonna try Watchfinder as I figure the warranty must be worth something. I’ll come back to let you know how I get on.
    Either way, it will be going to Omega soon for a service.

19. Evitzee Jan 8, 2019

My (future) wife gave me an Omega Speedmaster MK II as an engagement gift in 1972, and introduced me to motorcycles in 1976. Still collecting watches, riding motorcycles AND still have the wife. Three out of three ain't bad.

20. jamsxr Jan 8, 2019

Clearly she was a keeper!