Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

Hi guys, this is just a friendly yet firm reminder to keep your web browsers up to date, and to ideally choose a better quality web browser, such as Google's Chrome, Mozilla's Firefox, or Safari.

Having an old, out of date, or inferior web browser will give you a lesser web experience in terms of features, and will be significantly slower than a new browser will be. In addition to this, you will be exposing yourself to security hazards and vulnerabilities by not running a current, fully up to date browser.

You can view the current versions for all major browsers here:

http://browsehappy.com/

Our personal recommendation is to try Google Chrome if you haven't already, and allow it to automatically install updates for the best experience, performance, and protection.

blubarb, yande and Trev like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

I should also note, users of Internet Explorer 8 and prior should upgrade to a newer version or better browser immediately, as we do NOT support this browser fully, as it is now significantly out of date.

Anyone using Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 6 desperately need to upgrade or replace their browser not only for Omegaforums, but for their own safety, as these browsers are a significant liability.

If you're not confident with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari, please at the very least try to run Internet Explorer 9 or 10.

3. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

What, no love for Safari? Seems to work fine for me.

Greatoldone, Larry S and DLT222 like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

I mentioned it as a good browser, but the nice thing about Safari is that it tends to be upgraded with the rest of the operating system, assuming you're using the latest version of Apple's OSX.

The biggest people at risk are anyone running an older version of any browser, and in particular internet explorer users running old versions 8 or earlier

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

Safari is great, no worries there.

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2013

I'm going to bump this again, and in particular say to anyone running Internet Explorer 8 or earlier, please upgrade to a new version or different browser for your security, speed, and enjoyment.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. rfc Mar 20, 2013

dsio likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2013

rfc likes this.
  9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 20, 2013

Bright shiny Chrome for me, probably tried them all, recently gave Firefox another try :( couldn't believe how slow it performed.
    Mac OSX 10.7.5

Trev likes this.
  10. Bwana1 Mar 21, 2013

I use Firefox, no problems here :)

Trev likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 10, 2013

I'm bumping this again because it really does matter not just for our own purposes as maintainers of this site but because we want all of you to have a secure, feature complete, and reliable browser to use. This especially applies to Internet Explorer 8 or older. Go to http://browsehappy.com/ and download a current browser of your choice, but please, keep it current.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 13, 2013

Sorry, no can do, Ash. We're restricted on making "unapproved" downloads on work computers. So I'm stuck with IE8 for the foreseeable future there.

Running IE10 at home, no problems.
    gatorcpa

13. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 13, 2013

The core of ΩF will continue to work on IE8. You'll be able to use it just as you do now. However, any new features and sections we're developing will leave IE8 behind. We're not specifically excluding or blocking browsers from being able to access anything, but no testing time or fixes will be allocated to old versions of IE.

Much of it will likely still work, minus any advanced features and functionality which IE8 simply does not support.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 13, 2013

Works fine for me at the moment. If I need to do anything advanced, I'll wait to go home or use the iPhone.
    gatorcpa

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2013

This is just another friendly reminder, guys if you're using Internet Explorer 8, PLEASE update to a newer and safer web browser, 3.45% of people still use Internet Explorer 8 which is 3.45% too many. We can see that IE8 usage is nearly all during the work week Monday to Friday, and drops to almost nothing on weekends, if your office or place of work is still using IE8, its worth letting them know that it urgently needs to be replaced for security and safety reasons in addition to it no longer being capable of running many internet applications.

Edit: I've made this post a sticky as it is quite important for people to read

Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 2.28.52 am.png

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 26, 2013

Hi Ash,
    I use Chrome in my Galaxy S4 and now it only show menu test. It doesn't happen in my Chrome at Android Tablet and Windows 8.1 Laptop.

Before it also showed different menu interface (for example in members section I can check highest post, highest like and highest thread if I am not mistaken)) and the content is at least one week late.

Interestingly it also does not happen in the native phone web browser.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2013

Ash -

Most of that is probably me. My office computer is not updated and I don't have permission to change it.

I'll PM you my IT director's phone number if you want to yell at him.

gatorcpa

18. ulackfocus Nov 26, 2013

Hey, it's not a big deal for me to pay him a visit in March. :D

From the instructions on how to fight in hockey:

5) If the opponent is in a compromising position, pull their jersey over their head and start in with right handed uppercuts; this will allow for maximum power on your punches and limit the visibility of the opponent.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2013

Chrome must be caching the old server, we've been using it for some dev work, I'll throw a rewrite in there to get chrome back to the main site

20. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 26, 2013

Mm, I was afraid you'd be one of the hold-outs. I don't suppose kindly reminding them that Microsoft is up to IE11 would help much? :)

Andurs likes this.