Forums Latest Members
  1. Cacam Jan 31, 2018

Hi
    I just wonder what your thoughts are when buying a more expensive watch and when and not to wear it. In my opinion it is a bit of a shame when you don't wear the watches,but of course when they are expensoex then you think one or two times wheb choosing the occasion.
    E.g I am looking at buying a snoopy silver award but I don't want to just store it in a safety, I want to share it with my surroundings, but of course such a expensive watch then I think.. will a actually wesr the watch or will i be to afriad thst something will happen to it..

What's your thoughts?!

Have a nice day

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 31, 2018

I wear them all. I don’t really have anything that is “investment grade” anyway, apart from my Speediorite maybe, but the reason I buy them is to wear them. Some get worn more than others, especially the newer ones over the older ones, but that might just be a phase I’m going through.

3. Professor Jan 31, 2018

Unless you only buy as an investment I say wear it.

Keep a beater for yard work and the like of course.

PS
    Don't wear a nice watch when playing base ball. A pitcher threw wild when I was at the plate and nailed my old Timex dead on, smashing the crystal and bending the hands, Near broke my wrist as well.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 31, 2018

I wear all modern ones out and about but my vintage I tend to pick when and where as I live in a tropical climate. My modern Speedmaster is a wear to work watch and I climb over large vessels and machinery most days with no issue.

@styggpyggeno1 had a great rule on what he wears in water due to age and availability of parts. He may post again for us

5. lillatroll Jan 31, 2018

I just wear mine, although some of the older ones I might not wear if I am going to the pub, I might, on occasion be led astray and drink a few too many which might cause me to steady myself against a door or two.
    The modern ones I have can take a knock or two so I wear those on a daily basis.

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. heccsat Jan 31, 2018

If you don't buy it for investment purposes, then just wear it. What's the point of spending money if it has no use. Things exist to serve a purpose.

CdnWatchDoc, Cacam and Foo2rama like this.
  7. river rat Jan 31, 2018

I collect only vintage not a new watch in the bunch some have doubled in price since I got them like a Tudor snowflake I wear them if you don't wear them due to fear what's the point of owning them mite as well sell them. I do got a few vintage beaters for yard work 30 year old quartz divers.

8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 31, 2018

Heck yeah...wearing my modern Speedy Gonzales Moonwatch at the gym today...along with my Black Sabbath Master Of Reality t-shirt and camo cargo shorts...and sorry, I’m having a bad hair day so I cropped my head out of the pic. :D

F2464241-2368-43E3-B781-C15799C6BF64.jpeg

jaguar11, Kmart, GordonL and 7 others like this.
  9. Shibata Jan 31, 2018

To me a modern watch is bought to wear. I have a vintage SM300 that I stumbled upon and bought while shopping for a modern watch. I hardly ever wear it. As for the Snoopy.... I would wear it.

10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 31, 2018

You mean this I presume (it was written in relation to taking a watch to water):

"Modern watch (but outside warranty time) that has been recently pressure tested/serviced under your ownership = go
    Modern watch (but outside warranty time) that is said to be recently pressure tested/serviced = no go
    Vintage watch, which already have had parts changed (making it non original and not period correct) and when service parts are still available and if it is recently pressure tested = go
    Vintage watch in strict original state/period correct and/or where parts are no longer available = no go

For instance - my Seamaster 1000m has a service dial and bezel. Serviced last year and parts available = go
    My old but recently serviced Seadweller = go
    My Seiko 6105 (not serviced and original parts not available), Zenith 1000m (no parts), Certina DS-2 SuperPH1000 (no parts) = no go
    Value is less important than these parameters (Seiko vs Seamaster 1000)"

When it comes to the question of using a watch (not only when going into water) - vintage or modern - I go for using. Just take a second of thought about what you and the watch are going to do that day. Sound judgement takes you far. I only have one "modern" watch and that is a Speedyorite. One second of thought in the morning is all it takes. "Am I going to the office - yes - speedyorite - go". "I am going hunting and might end up butchering a deer - no go".

Do not be afraid to use your watch. What is/was the meaning of getting it otherwise?

omegaswisst, gostang9 and Flatfoot like this.
  11. apm1 Jan 31, 2018

I use them every day.

12. Mtnmansa Jan 31, 2018

Bought all mine to wear and enjoy.
    One can still be mindful of surroundings and treat them with respect.

1BD133B2-22EA-4514-BAA8-65CEEBF8F8D3.jpeg 7299D1A6-E990-42D8-BB25-2825F6B441ED.jpeg 74AF8C8D-8A21-4615-BDD3-CBBD81D732D2.jpeg 5952776E-D39D-473B-9634-91F863A22400.jpeg
    Paedipod, apm1 and gemini4 like this.
  13. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 31, 2018

If I'm not going to be relaxed wearing a watch them I won't but it, I buy to enjoy wearing and that's what I do.

The only watch I won't wear much is my 9ct gold Omega which is reserved for special occasions to keep it looking that way.

Mustn't be too precious about these material things.

14. Flatfoot Jan 31, 2018

styggpyggeno1 wrote>>> When it comes to the question of using a watch (not only when going into water) - vintage or modern - I go for using. Just take a second of thought about what you and the watch are going to do that day. Sound judgement takes you far.<<<<

Couldn't agree more.

I am mindful of what I intend to be doing each day, and how the planned tasks fit the watch I put on in the morning. I wear my watches through a loose rotation according to my whim, but do make sure I wear and enjoy them all. And I usually carry a really robust Seiko Supermod that I bought for a song along with me in a small case, should the day's mission make a sharp turn into the ditch off of the planned route.

I have several pre 1960's era chronos with flat, non waterproof pushers and cases. A Warranty sheet for a Benrus Sky Chief I have admonishes the user to not wear that watch while even washing your hands. Their advice might be a bit extreme, but I sure am careful when washing my hands with any of these older non-sealed pieces on the wrist, or wearing them for outside activities on a hot, sticky summer day.

Cacam: I'd wear that Snoopy silver on a regular basis just for my own amusement/amazement and not look back.

15. apm1 Jan 31, 2018

Very nice collection !

16. Cacam Jan 31, 2018

Well I am thinking of buying a snoopy silver award..

I have a Oris 65, an iwc AT2000 so I have things to choose between...

17. 77deluxe Jan 31, 2018

I have a couple of daily beaters which are all modern. I am purposeful as to when I wear vintage. Today’s vintage prices make it hard to justify wearing vintage, but they were made to wear. I should wear them more.

18. amanson Jan 31, 2018

I would definitely recommend wearing them. Personally, I get much more satisfaction by using them, even if they take some hits which are inevidible. Since you have other watches to rotate, that will help preserve them.

Cacam and apm1 like this.
  19. Professor Feb 1, 2018

I suspect some older watches might be prone to damage from the jolting and acceleration of strenuous movement, such as in playing golf or swinging a bat.

I had one of the early Timex electric watches and after taking a theme park train ride around a mountain known as Iron Mountain, famous at the time for its powerful magnetic field, the Timex never hit another lick. I tried putting in a new battery but still no go.
    I suspect that going around this powerful deposit of magnetic iron generated an electric current of some sort. The rails probably added to the effect.

20. mydeafcat Feb 1, 2018

There was a watch in the photo? I was taken by the Masters of Reality t-shirt. One of their best albums, if not their finest record. (Nice Speedy, btw!)

Mad Dog likes this.