Forums Latest Members
  1. coupe_deville Mar 20, 2017

Hi everyone! I've been trolling around some watch forums irregularly for the past month or so, and have been interested in watches since getting my first low-end automatics a little over a year ago. Anyway, I'm interested in a particular Omega Seamaster (135.003-62-SC; pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/UGRZL), but I'm wondering how bad the wear on the gold plating/hippocampus design really is? Obviously vintage watches will have some issues, but is it worth waiting for others to come along?

Also, asking price is $600. Is that more or less fair, or do I need to spend some more time around forums to get a better idea of pricing? Thanks!

2. Bumper Mar 20, 2017

The wear on the case back is from a nato strap, which is why i avoid them. If you really like them, you can put a sticker on the case back to prevent this..
    The wear on the plating is slight, but it's still wear & the only way to fix it is to get the case replated. For this reason, gold plated watches are not always popular with collectors.

@$600, i would pass... Spend a little more time looking for a watch with no issues.

3. coupe_deville Mar 21, 2017

Thanks very much!!

I've never liked NATO straps , so that wouldn't be a problem (except that the damage is already somewhat done). As for the wear, I may use it as further justification to make an offer on the watch below asking price--right now I'm not fully in it for the investment/collectability so much as I simply enjoy mechanical watches and really like the appearance of the piece as far as it fits into my (meager) collection. But it helps to have a good reason to walk away if there's not significant wiggle room on pricing.

Thanks again!