1. billving May 12, 2018

6+ times estimate 120D2F39-20F6-4FD1-98FC-81984FAAE43E.jpeg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 12, 2018

Unfortunately, it's not a 3915-1.

3. billving May 12, 2018

sorry, fat fingered on phone!

4. MaiLollo May 12, 2018

Why a bubble?
    It's probably the most beautiful example of the rarest regular production Speedmaster. How hard is it to even find a 2915-1?
    If you're looking for a bubble, I'd look elsewhere (ever heard of Paul Newman?)

5. billving May 12, 2018

I know...joking. Rare is rare, and condition is condition. It looked great.....but man did Phillips miss the estimate!

greenecollector and MaiLollo like this.
  6. billving May 12, 2018

[​IMG]

Case: The case shows moderate signs of polishing. It maintains its overall proportions well. The bezel presents no fading to the black engraved scale. The case back in similar condition, the Speedmaster engraving is present and well readable. The bracelet is in very good condition, with extremely minor stretch to the links. The expandable links spring back properly. Surface marks present throughout. It is stamped 6 to the endlinks and "2 60" to the clasp.

Dial: The dial is exceptionally well preserved, the radium material has been replaced by tritium but decades ago, the luminous material evenly faded to a warm tobacco hue. The dial has aged with intense and even dark chocolate tropicalization.

Movement: The movement is ticking at the time of cataloguing and the chronograph works properly. A service for oiling and cleaning is however suggested given the age of the watch.

7. default May 12, 2018

dont they miss estimates on purpose to make hodinkee post shocking headlines 20 seconds after the hammer falls with the help of some prewritten articles :p

8. cristos71 May 12, 2018

And there was me thinking that re-luming of a dial was officially frowned upon :p ::stirthepot::

9. crl848 May 13, 2018

This. Wtf?

10. Exiztence May 13, 2018

It's so beautiful exceedingly rare and still cheaper than loads of Daytonas.

watchyouwant likes this.
  11. robocaspar May 13, 2018

12. Screwbacks May 13, 2018

no amount of comments will change the selling price. it is what it is. it's not going any cheaper eithet. just amazing.

Baz9614 likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 13, 2018

lol! I'm assuming that you are relatively young.

14. Screwbacks May 13, 2018

ha ha just celebrated my speedy anniversary age. :thumbsup:

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 13, 2018

Ah, so you either believe that the vintage watch market is fundamentally different from all other collectors markets, or that "This time it's different!".

gatorcpa, JohnSteed, Jonatan and 8 others like this.
  16. PerJ May 13, 2018

What surprises me the most is that the market seems to accept restorations. Many of the Daytonas had changed parts and the white gold 6265 was basically built from the case and movement. The 2915-1 was beautiful but the number is really impressive considering the dial being relumed. Would I dare to say a perfect untouched example would reach 500k now?

Are we moving into a world where looks is more important than originality? Feels more and more like the vintage car market. Not sure what I think of this.

Dash1 likes this.
  17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 13, 2018

I think that you have, perhaps inadvertently, touched on a crucial point. The vintage market has been catalysed primarily in recent years by fashion, which explains why a pretty watch by a fashionable brand can bring many multiples of an equally attractive, and well-made watch by a less fashionable brand. Or why an intrinsically inferior watch can be worth far more than a superior one.

With regards to the subject auction, or any high-end auction, for that matter, you are perhaps making the mistake of assuming that all bidders are serious collectors. Serious collectors do, with rare exceptions, demand originality when paying premium prices, but those with less experience, and (typically) much more money than brains, can easily be seduced by flawed watches (or cars or paintings, etc.) that sophisticated collectors would reject.

18. Dan S May 13, 2018

Agreed, and to make matters even worse, at these price levels these auctions are also drawing in investors/speculators that have no real interest in watches per se. They are making bets on the future of the vintage watch market from a financial perspective, and may be also buying up art and other high-end collectibles.

19. PerJ May 13, 2018

I think there are more than one type of ”serious collectors”. The world is changing and even though we are the ”old collectors” it does not mean all the new people in the hobby are just speculating to make money. From my experience those that enhance watches and build hype are old time dealers and in many cases old time collectors.

The market wants perfect and the market gets perfect. Honest patina is just an expression in most cases. Look at the FAP SM300 last year and now many of the Daytonas. All put together or enhanced in one way or the other. We get exactly what we ask for and it is not the non-serious collectors fault imho.

Edited May 13, 2018
    nixf6 likes this.
  20. ulackfocus May 13, 2018

Hahaha! Nice one Tony.

"We’re not in a bubble." said postage stamp, coin, and baseball card collectors.... just before their bubble burst. ::facepalm2:: :p

connieseamaster, nixf6 and airansun like this.