Forums Latest Members
  1. dlukask Jul 18, 2014

I'm buying a 1971 Geneve, which were 30M water resistant.

I know these vintage watches aren't typically trusted to remain water resistant, but is there any process or a set of procedures to reestablish this feature of a watch that at one point was waterproof?

2. bieb1 Jul 18, 2014

Water resistant to 30M does not mean waterproof, only that it will survive occasional splashes from shower or handwashing. There is a lot of info on the net about what the depth ratings really represent. As to your watch, if the seals are good and case/crystal still tight, a test that you can have done at a good watchmaker will confirm if it is still ok. If not, it will need a service to get those elements fixed. Personally, I would never expose a vintage watch to excessive humidity risk, even if the tests show it is still pressure tight.

3. bieb1 Jul 18, 2014

4. woodwkr2 Jul 18, 2014

Save yourself a lot of money and don't wear a vintage watch underwater. Yes, it likely could be made "waterproof" again, with new factory crown, gaskets, and crystal. But that's not why you buy a vintage watch.

If you're diving, buy a dive computer. If you're splashing in the pool with you kids, buy a casio, timex, or seiko... or stick to modern watches.

Fritz likes this.