Forums Latest Members
  1. woodwkr2 Feb 2, 2015

There're lots of great tips around this forum posted by our professional and amateur watchmakers alike. The problem: inevitably these threads get buried in one of the vintage sections, depending on whether it was a vintage omega, universal or what not that the OP was inquiring about.

Would the mods consider making a Watchmaking sub forum in the General Discussions section? It'd be great if there was a centralized place to move some of these conversations to, and would be a nice reference source for those who had tool questions, etc.

Edited Feb 2, 2015
    Awetaylor, Tritium, noelekal and 11 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 2, 2015

I second the motion.

I think it would be a great place for some of Al's technical posts too.

megamon, woodwkr2, Mothra and 2 others like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 4, 2015

Bump

:)

woodwkr2 likes this.
  4. ChrisN Feb 7, 2015

Of interest to me as well although I can see you probably don't want too many sub forums.

5. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Hello,
    New here, would like to put in my 2 cents.

I agree. Although too many sub categories may get tedious, that is a very beneficial feature. There members can get into more detail on the functionality aspect of watches. It would also make it easier for the watchmaker pros to find those tough to help questions.

Whatever transpires, this forum is a great place.
    Pinzon

6. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2015

It would be a good idea for members...... but is it a good idea for our watchmakers who volunteer their time? It could easily get tedious or worse for them.

7. megamon Feb 7, 2015

It's true, it would be unfair to rely 100% on the volunteering watchmakers for contributions. This can be avoided with the wonderful "Sticky" threads, a list for all general questions can be answered from the start, bracelet removal, link changing, deployment buckle length arrangement etc.

Most of the things that collectors do will not require extensive watchmaking knowledge, so to that end other members may help, those with good experience. If something is not certain they may provide disclaimers, if it seems wrong another member may comment and correct it.

For those who like to share their ideas, tips, tricks and ideology it can become a playground. In doing jewelry repair I always shared my tips with other jewelers, we worked on cool tricks to speed up repairs and introduced "home made tool concoctions". It should be a category made to help spread knowledge but at the same time it should be done by everyone's free will. It should be enjoyable! I would be very willing to jump in and help!
    (Where I can :D)
    Pinzon

woodwkr2 likes this.
  8. woodwkr2 Feb 14, 2015

Bump

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

I've been watching the thread, I'm just sitting here worried about DIYers breaking watches and overworked watchmakers having to help out all the time, and how much traffic there would actually be in the section.

10. woodwkr2 Feb 14, 2015

How many inquires about caseback openers? How many inquiries about loupes? How many inquires about polishing techniques for both metal and acrylic? How many inquires about spring bars? How many inquires about spring bar tools?

Consolidate. Save time.

Low traffic + High utility = Value added.

Edited Feb 14, 2015
    JohnSteed and lerxst like this.
  11. JohnSteed Feb 15, 2015

Is it a difficult task, collating all past threads that may fit in such a new thread? Too many?

If it's to be a reference ... Mods could also consider locking the thread and adding in that content that would fit in the thread?

Discussion could continue as usual and the particular item added to the thread if relevant

12. Josh36912 Feb 15, 2015

This seems like a great idea.

13. woodwkr2 Feb 15, 2015

I'd be happy to spend some time searching for some of the old threads and marking them for relocation... or if the mods want to empower me, I'm happy to collate and relocate them myself so that it's not a burden on anyone who's not personally invested.

14. JohnSteed Feb 15, 2015

Nice. Other members do mark certain threads for their own reasons. I imagine they'd be willing to provide those if asked ... of relevant topics that fit the thread ...

15. Josh36912 Feb 21, 2015

I think the generic questions you've mentioned would be a great start - case back opening, bracelet change, polishing techniques and tool recommendations. These sort of topics won't lead to (many) DIYers ruining their watches and would be a great way to attract new members. This is usually the first thing a watch novice will be scouring the net for.

A clear and trusted resource like this is really needed, even better if its on this forum and not another.

My 2 pence.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 24, 2015

Re-luming Seiko hands for @STANDY.

Dial next?

RelumeHands.JPG

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2015

Cool.
    Have fun with the dial.. :whistling:

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 25, 2015

OK, but I'll have to drink another bottle of Scotch so I can get the cork to use for a dial holder.

Well, that's my excuse.........

:D

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 25, 2015

Problem solved, Annie was passing a store in the city, they had a special on Lagavulin, so she bought these home with her tonight.

I'll be able to do TWO dials :D

LVx2.JPG

lerxst and woodwkr2 like this.