Forums Latest Members

Watchmaking at a Molecular Level

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2017

Well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration.

I was asked to fix a few watched for my Daughter In Law, and as they were ordinary quartz ones I said OK. And then she bought out this family heirloom, purchased from a pawnbroker in the 1930s as a gift from her hubby.

It was water logged and wound as tight as a drum, I could hardly open the click to let it down but managed to strip it for cleaning except for the balance cap jewel. I has the impression that it had never been cleaned by previous watchmakers. Sooooo, I decided to go ahead and remove the regulator and cap jewel, but the screws were underneath the balance cock, so it meant removing the 6.4mm diameter balance to get to the screws.

The hairspring stud required a 0.6mm screwdriver and the cap screws a 0.7mm one. Without a loupe they look like grains of sand.

Anyway, all stripped now and ready for cleaning and then re-assembly. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy that :eek:.

MiniBits.JPG

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 18, 2017

I hope you took pictures or a video or labeled everything just as a back up... this is my plan when I start tinkering in the near future.

What kind of watch was the heirloom?

3. Bumper Jan 18, 2017

i once dropped the screw to my reading glasses & spent 10 minutes trying to screw a crumb back in... good luck :)

4. wsfarrell Jan 18, 2017

When I see giant photos like the one above I forget how small these pieces are. Nice work!

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2017

This is what I started with.

GoldWatch.JPG

All clean now. Just need to inspect pivots, teeth, jewels and then it can all go back together.

If this thread doesn't come to an end you'll know what happened :D.

TinyCleanBits.JPG

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2017

Stop these threads, i had to pull the vacum apart after your last thread was seen by the boss......

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 19, 2017

You bullshitter! I bet you did a basic disassembly then hid all the bits in the bin and went to Hardly Normal for a brand newie.

:D

khmt2, ChrisN, Bumper and 1 other person like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 19, 2017

Had to rely on Mr Rodico for assistance putting the cap jewel/regulator back together.

Just for a sense of scale, the huge thing bottom left isn't from a car engine, it's the arm screw from a pair of spectacles (eyeglasses for USA readers).

CapJewelInst.JPG

Anyway, that's it for me. Now 18:40 so it's beer time, no more tinkering for me today.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2017

Reminds me of this Quote

image.jpeg

Speedmasterfan88 and JimInOz like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2017

Small parts are a part of life as a watchmaker. I recall once having a gentleman drop by to pick up a watch I had serviced, and his wife brought along he quartz watch for a battery swap, so I did it while they waited. As I was removing the screws from the back of he watch, she remarked at how "tiny" those screws were - of course in watchmaking terms they are huge.

So Jim, the real question is, how are you oiling that cap jewel?

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 19, 2017

Very carefully.

I used my smallest oiler, taking the smallest amount from a bigger drop of 9010 I put on a flat surface. Onto the cap jewel with a nice domed drop. Then the balance cock was set over the top and screwed down.

I may have to look at those pen oilers, I can see how much more controlled/simpler the oiling would be.

I'm having a long lunch with a couple of mates today so any more work will have to wait until Saturday.

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 20, 2017

Nice one Jim.

As a matter of interest, do you have any idea what movement it is? I couldn't find it in any of my reference material.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 20, 2017

The bigger issue is why are you letting Mrs Standy see what's on here :eek:

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 20, 2017

She wants a Dyson and any chance to show how dodgy they are. ( cough expensive cough cough ) ;)

Larry S likes this.
  15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 20, 2017

Sorry, I'm with her. We got a Dyson. It really is in a different league to every other vacuum we have owned. Owned it for 10yrs now, no problem

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 20, 2017

We don't even have carpet, polished floor boards due to living in the tropic,s

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 20, 2017

Polished concrete here
    IMG_2840.JPG

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 20, 2017

As a Dyson owner, and a user of various Vacs, if I had to buy another I'd go for a bag vac like a Miele or similar quality.

Superb suction and chuck the bag in the compost when it's full.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 20, 2017

We have a Miele ::psy::

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2017

^ The domesticated Australian male in his natural habitat, discussing Miele appliances before comparing toilet seat warmers and bread makers.

gostang9, Tire-comedon, Syrte and 6 others like this.