Forums Latest Members
  1. chronos Sep 23, 2019

So I've been to two watchmakers in Switzerland (one in Berne, the other one in Bienne) for a watch which suddenly lost its lume of the hour hand. Now it just lies around on the dial, randomly blocking the hands.
    It's an old Astrolux (approx. 1940) running just fine without having it serviced in my possession. So I asked the watchmakers to take a look at it and do the following:
    1: try to put the lume back to the hour hand, if that's even possible.
    2: if not, just remove the lume that fell off
    3: take a look at the movement, do a sympathetic service if needed.
    I bought the watch 7 years ago and it ran fine up to the point the lume fell off. So I thought a service would surely be needed.
    The lume contains radium and the Geiger Counter shows a high range of radiation.
    Both watchmakers told me they would not be able to work on it and if so they would need to replace all parts containing radium, replacing hands and dial. I was like: Are you serious?!!::censored::
    They both answered they wouldn't have a choice, they signed something (?!) which makes them do so... ::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::
    Of course I took my watch home, but the problem remains.
    Now I wonder: What are your experiences with radium and Swiss watchmakers? Both watchmakers I asked are specialiced in vintage watches.

In the picture you can seemthe lume blocking the hands around the 4 and 5 hour markers. Sorry for the bad pictured, no sunlight here at the moment.
    9BCBBA61-821C-4539-A24E-A6F4167CD9B4.jpeg FE2189B5-3D9E-4ECE-AFF3-5FAF11D0CC7E.jpeg

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 23, 2019

I have no doubt that there are laws restricting such work in Switzerland, and elsewhere, and for obvious reasons.

You may well be able to find a watchmaker somewhere who will work with radium – for a price – but the work is dangerous, and I find your reaction to the denials of service to be odd.

Mark020 and connieseamaster like this.
  3. chronos Sep 23, 2019

Wow, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
    I was just shocked that they basically said they will throw away the original parts. If they do so, they will have to open the watch. Why wouldn't they then be able to just throw away the lume that fell of and close the watch again?
    Sorry if I missed something, no offense intended.

mappleluna likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 23, 2019

You didn't offend me – I just find it surprising that you wouldn't understand why there might be strict restrictions in Switzerland for working with radium. If you're not aware of the "radium girls", read up on them.

Now of course watchmakers today aren't going to be licking radium tainted brushes, but working with old radium is dangerous, and the Swiss have erred on the side of caution.

Again, you will be able to find watchmakers who will work with such parts, but it may not be easy in Switzerland.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  5. chronos Sep 23, 2019

Thanks, Tony, for your answer.
    As you might remember from our gettogether in Lausanne, I work in Bienne and know a couple of people who have a watchmaker as ancestor, who worked at home. They all had to let their homes be cleaned professionally. A really big deal.
    And of course I know about the Radium Girls.
    But I was surprised they told me it was ok to do thorough work on it but they wouldn't be able to just remove the lume.
    Anyways, even my wife just told me "laws are laws, just get it" :D
    So i should probably just forget about my beloved Astrolux.

Tony C. likes this.
  6. oinkitt Sep 23, 2019

I think its more likely that they just don't want to work on it. I have sent a number of radium dialed watches back to the manufacturers without an issue.

7. michael22 Sep 23, 2019

So there is no cleaning? Disposal of contaminated parts would mean dial & hands go, doesn't it?

chronos likes this.
  8. oinkitt Sep 23, 2019

No, not in my experience.

9. chronos Sep 23, 2019

That's what they told me

10. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

As ridiculous as this sounds- perhaps you can learn to carefully remove the dial and hands, bring the movement in the case to the watchmaker for service, then reassemble and glue the lume back into to naked hand. You have nothing to lose.
    And if you work carefully and safely (wear gloves, don’t lick you fingers, don’t let it get airborn and breathe it), I would think you get what you want.

11. bubba48 Sep 23, 2019

Not so sure. If you send a Rolex watch or an Omega or any other important brand to the manufacturer, the radium dial is replaced by default with a new one. In fact, Italian collectors no longer send their vintages to Switzerland

12. chronos Sep 23, 2019

Thanks for the input.
    I guess my wife wouldn't be happy about it, especially as our 17 months old son is struggeling with a severe lung condition. Which is why I would never try to do it at home anyway.
    So I could probably try to do it outside somewhere, but I still lack of basic skills in this field, unfortunately.

13. michael22 Sep 23, 2019

I have considered that, but decided there is no place in my yard I want radium dust either. It doesn't go away.

chronos likes this.
  14. chronos Sep 23, 2019

You're right, that's just another reason against trying to go this route

15. oinkitt Sep 23, 2019

I haven't sent one for a few years now. Perhaps there has been a change of policy in that time.

16. CaptainWinsor Sep 23, 2019

Even that small amount is that dangerous? Wow

17. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

I would be curious to hear from our resident professional watchmakers on their thoughts.

18. oinkitt Sep 23, 2019

If it is handled with care there is no problem. People go a bit silly at the mere mention of the word.
    Its similar to if you mention the word asbestos!!

19. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

Totally understand the analogy, and lead paint. Having worked with historic buildings in various states of decay for 20 years I can tell you, don’t eat or snort the lead paint and asbestos.

20. oinkitt Sep 23, 2019

Yea, as a site manager, I should have included lead paint!!!

Mark020 likes this.