Forums Latest Members
  1. TVR2317 Jan 14, 2018

Hello, I live in Westchester County NY, and I’m looking for a reputable watch maker. I have done some google searches, and while a few(very few) come up, I’m wondering if there is anyone here who has had good experiences or a lead on a quality watchmaker. I would only need their services for possibly minor things, as my Speedmaster is new (2016), and the Seamaster 30 I recently aquired was serviced by the seller. I would like to have the proper Omega crystal put on it, as it now has an aftermarket part. Any info would be appreciated.
    Larry

2. Canuck Jan 14, 2018

If the shop that serviced the Seamaster fitted an after market crystal, you might want to consider having the quality of the rest of the service the watch received, checked out. Check the American Watchmaker’s and Clockmaker’s Institute (AWCI) website a looksee. They offer a listing of qualified repair shops. Also the National Ass’n of Watch & Clock Collector’s (NAWCC). Happy hunting.

dan7800 likes this.
  3. dan7800 Jan 14, 2018

Was it serviced by someone you trust? Sellers often claim a watch is serviced when A) Nothing was actually done B) They cut corners to keep costs down.

4. TVR2317 Jan 15, 2018

The seller(purchased off ebay) stated during my conversations with him that he serviced the watch and it was ultrasonically cleaned. The watch came running well and actually was better in person than his ebay photos showed. He was very open and responsive during our chats, and I really don't think there was anything fishy with the watch or the purchase. I just really hope that is the case.
    Larry

5. dan7800 Jan 15, 2018

Some sellers are honest, but in numerous other threads it is discussed to assume that any "serviced" watch shouldn't be considered to have a true service (Unless you REALLY trust the seller)- Which is something a few chats on the internet obviously cannot do.

Personally, I've had 2 cases where a watch was "serviced", by an unrepeatable person that I paid, only to find out that they had done a super cruddy job with their "service"

6. 77deluxe Jan 15, 2018

I wouldn’t be afraid to send it off to someone reputable for a service.

dan7800 likes this.
  7. TVR2317 Jan 15, 2018

Yes i'm sure there are many people out there doing others wrong. I guess thats why I would like to find someone local to me I can sit down with and have the watch looked over.
    Larry