Forums Latest Members

Watchmaker advice required................

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 7, 2022

.............please, and thank you.

I'm servicing an Omega caliber 471 at the moment, and have a question regarding an interesting component.

This is the "ratcheting ratchet wheel assembly", a breakdown shown below.

Also called by Omega "the Coupling" and "Ratchet Wheel Mounted".

CouplingDiag.png
    And here is is in real life.

CouplingRatchetBottom.jpg

CouplingRatchetTop.jpg

My question is, do I:

A - find an old arbor and make a tool to unscrew it and risk things going "ping"?

or

B - Give it an ultrasonic clean, a run through the cleaning machine, a hot spin dry and then dip in Lubeta?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers
    Jim

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 7, 2022

In an ideal world, you would want to take this all apart, clean it, inspect everything, replace any worn parts inside the assembly, and assemble/lubricate it.

This is far from an ideal world - Omega makes zero individual parts available for this assembly. They used to sell individual parts for this assembly, and the 550 series reversing wheel assembly, but no longer. The only choice is to purchase an entire assembly, which to put it mildly is not cheap (currently $330 for this one). I'm actually a bit surprised they even still carry this part to be honest.

So now you have to balance risk v reward in taking this apart. If you are 100% confident that you can take this apart and put it back together without losing or damaging any part, that is ideal. If not, then your second option would be worth a try I'd say.

Cdnwatchmaker, Larry S and M'Bob like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 7, 2022

:eek:

Thanks Al, it's fairly clean at the moment so I think I'll go for option 2.